Excessive vaginal bleeding

I am 53 years old and had my heart attack 12/30/10. I am on effient as well as other meds. Prior to my heart attack, my GYN had me on a pill to make me have a menstral cycle at least every other month because I have yet to go through menopause. Since Dec I have not been taking those pills so no real cycle since then (some light spotting now and then but nothing more.) However for the past 3 days I have been bleeding so heavy and passing lots of clots. I called my GYN on Friday and they did not seem too concerned, however I am. I know this is a pretty awful topic, but has anyone else experienced anything like this and if so what was done for you? I cannot see anyone examining me while this is going on. Thank you for any input.

24 replies. Join the discussion

I am on Effient and my cycles are pretty horrible too. Mine come like clockwork...every 28 days and very heavy bleeding with passing lots of large clots, same as what you describe. The worst for me lasts 3 to 4 days then subsides. I would not be overly concerned at this point, however if it continues this excessive for longer than maybe 10 days or 2 weeks, then call your doc back and give him another update. Let him know your concerns. I think that us ladies can typically pass large amounts of blood, which is normal for so many women across the US not even on blood thinners.

I am with the two of you. I too was one of the unfortunate pre-menopausal group to have an MI. Due to the Plavix and Aspirin my monthly period has become a thing to dread. Mostly due to the huge clots. I don't care what they say about this pad or that pad NOTHING can hold a clot the size of a golf ball! Needless to say my cardio recommended I see a Gyno about having an ablation done. I am in the process of that now. I have seen the Gyno already and he has some concerns due to the ICD I just had put in a few days ago. Apparently the way the procedure is done here using a laser could set my ICD off. I will be seeing him again after all my testing has been done, but will end up most likely asking for a referral to see a Gyno who works out of the same hospital as my ICD was put in. Either that or they will send a tech to be with me at my local hospital should I choose to have it done there.

There's a pretty good discussion here of women on heart meds versus our periods:

http://www.inspire.com/groups/womenheart/discussion/menstrual-making-you-me ntal/

At 43, I'm not even peri-menopausal yet and my periods, now that I'm on daily Plavix and aspirin, are driving me crazy. Not bad enough that I've ended up in the ER, but the bleeding is definitely a lot worse. I'm talking with my gyn about an ablation, especially since I've already been sterilized.

There are several different types of ablations; not all use a laser. Mayo has a good page on ablations:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/endometrial-ablation/MY01113

-Laura

I have had uterine abalation and it was a decision I have never regretted once. I had mine done in 2006 and am just now starting to have some light bleeding each month, but nothing like before. I had the Novasure procedure.

I call my period my monthly hemorrhage now. My first one was when I had my heart attack after the monster doses of heparin, Effient, and aspirin. I had to have my nurse help check to make sure the blood wasn't from my cath site. I don't usually have too many clots. If you are feeling weak or faint, or start soaking a couple pads an hour go to the ER. Hopefully it's not that bad.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions and sharing your experiences with me. This is the first time this has been this bad and it has me concerned, but after reading your posts, I feel better. I hope you all know how much your support means to me.

Thank you again and have a great nite!

I had a hysterectomy at age 34. It was painful at the time, but after reading all of you it sounds like I got the better deal.

I too had a pre menopausal heart attack this year. My period was extremely heavy due to cumadin. I really thought I was hemoraging. Since then , my body has adjusted an it's not that bad. I really think menopause and being a heart patient is a scary mix. I guess we should be thankful the rest of our bodies are functioning normally. ( even through Menopause). I think your heavy bleeding is a symptom of that. My co- worker went through it and used to go through her pants on to the chair all the time :( So hang in there, i think whAt you're going through is normal.

BTW I love this site because where else can you express such concerns?!

Thank you Joy123! Your words are comforting. I too love this site because we can talk about anything and it is such a huge support system. Have a great day!

I started with perimenopause fairly young, maybe 44. I also had endometriosis from the onset of periods. While I was unaware of any heart issues at time of perimenopause I had very heavy periods with lots of large clots. This continued until I had a period for 3 wks and only a few days without. I was put on a very low dose birth control pill which regulated things and I stayed on for about 4 yrs and then went off to find myself instantly in menopause. Minimal problems with that and at 48 I was done, Yea! I have spoken to many women who deal with the heavy bleed and clots during perimenopause and menopause so I think it must be common in many women, although I would be more worried if I was on blood thinners.

I had a uterine ablation in Nov 2009 for very heavy bleeding and clots. The HA happened in March2010, after 3 months of being on effient, the flow amped back up and I started having clots again. Not as bad as before. My cardio and gyn both said blood thinners cause heavy flow and clots....great :)

I'm pretty still pretty regular. Interesting how this affects every part of a womans body.

Steph

Just wanted to give you all an update. I ended up in the ER on Monday after work from which after 6.5 hrs I was admitted to the hospital. I was bleeding so heavily that my blood count went down to 7.2 by yesterday morning so I ended up having two transfusions and got to come home last night. They have put me on meds (hormones) to help control bleeding and help build up my blood levels. They also contacted my cardiologist for permission to take me off the effient for a week to help with the bleeding and to keep me on the progesterone until the surgery which right now is scheduled for next Wednesday. He is planning a D&C and ablation. I am somewhat apprehensive about not being on the effient for a week, but I am hoping they know what they are doing. Keep me in your prayers please

Tomorrow I am having a D&C and ablation. I know it will be fine, but pretty nervous about it. Please keep me in your prayers.
Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Hi Julie,

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow; please let us know how everything goes.

best,
Laura

Will do Laura and thank you. I am sure it will be fine, but still pretty nervous.

The D&C and thermal ablation went well. Hopefully no more of that. My hemoglobin is still low and I am still extremely tired all the time but am told it will be this way for a while longer. I just want to feel good again. Thank you all for your prayers.

In my 40s, my doc had offered to give me the progesterone shot to put me into menopause due to heavy bleeding, but I didn't want that. So, I kept going. As I passed from 40s to 50s, I felt very relieved that I wasn't in menopause "yet". I had irregular periods, but periods nonetheless. Eventually, my doc did an ultrasound and discovered that I had a fibroid or something along that line. The fibroid pretty much bled regularly like a period. The ultrasound pretty much required that this fibroid be investigated, so with IV sedation, I had it removed in the office. My "periods" stopped and I knew I didn't have a pre-or cancerous tumor. Relief! I pretty much started menopause square on my 50th birthday. Hot flashes, etc. It took a couple of years to subside but all is well now. I would certainly have it checked out. Better safe than sorry.

Best, Mary

On 9/21/11 I had the D&C and ablation and now out of the blue I am having bleeding. Is this normal? It is nothing like before. It is more like a regular period, but I thought the ablation would stop the bleeding. Any insight would be so appreciated.
Thank you and Happy Halloween to all!

Because your body is responding differently than it used to, keep your doctor closely in the loop. Perhaps even ask for a red blood cell count.

I was on effient for 10 1/2 months with heavier than normal periods. Then I had 20 consecutive days of bleeding. I lost so much blood I was in the transfusion zone. Couldn't even climb stairs for a while. My sweet hubby had to carry me upstairs every night. Not so romantic when your dizzy all the time. I had allowed my cardiologist to minimize this issue and this was a big mistake. They took me off of Effient and I recovered quickly, but am still on aspirin and fish oil.

Patti

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.