electric shock feeling.

For the past week I have been having weird new symptoms. I have been having a sharp chest pain followed by a electric shock feeling in my chest followed by papaltions. It will last a few minutes and then subside. It has woken me up in the night and while i have been driving or just watching tv. I just want to know if anyone has had this.

It has not happened in the past 3 days. I cornary artery spams. But, this was different. if it happens again I will my dr

13 replies. Join the discussion

Hi, I have that too, tell you doc. When I told mine he said any time you take heart meds (I take iso and CCB), you can get the palpitations - he honestly wasn't very helpful in what to do about it, just that it was "normal". I've actually been having it the past few days after months of no spasms. I don't know if it's a lead up, if the meds are preventing a full blown spasm and this is just the effect or what. I'd probably go ahead and not wait until it happens again to call your doc, just to give them a heads up. It might be as simple as a med change, but you never know with this, so be proactive.
Let me know what they say!
K

I had a buzzing in my chest like that for about a year before it was discovered I had 5 arteries 98% blocked leading to my heart attack and CABG4. Everyone thought I was crazy with the description. All I could say was my breast was buzzing. Some description and I am a nurse. All tests were negative. But then again in June they were too. My husband said maybe aliens were trying to contact me. Got a little smile but still concern till the answer came last June. No more buzzing now after 5 heart caths, CABG4 and 2 sets of stents. So don't let it go listen to what your body is saying. Go have it checked out and find the Dr who will listen to you. Good luck and God Bless.
Sheri

You did not say that you have heart disease and from I I can tell from your photo you look fairly young. I would not hesitate to call your doctor and demand a holter monitor and a stress test. I had a heart attack at 45 and for 10 years prior I had strange things going on in my chest-I would wake up at night with my heart doing flip-flops and during the day tennis shoes in the dryer...that is how I explained it. I saw a cardiologist for the 10 years and he kept telling me it was a benign condition. I walked into the ER with a ripping burning in my breast-having a massive heart attack-and was told to have a seat. It took me 2 heart attacks and 3 cardiologist to get help. I have a electrical imbalance and today I live with an ICD device. My life a great now that I have answers. Please listen to your body...just prepare yourself for a possible fight with doctors to get answers. Keep intouch with us.
Debbie
WH Support Group Leader

Before my heart attack I too had this buzzing to burning sensation in my chest (primarily on the right side) and a metallic taste in my mouth. I never mentioned this before I thought it was simply the change of foods and indigestion since I was in a foreign country. I also had unstable angina but thought it was still indigestion because it was all on my right side (gall bladder I thought) After three weeks of this I had a serious heart attack and emergency quadruple bypass
surgery. I had severe heart disease in three of my left vessels and a LAD that was 99% blocked with plaque and closed 100% with a clot. I am not a doctor and we are all different. But I would get this checked out by a cardiologist or PCP. Take Care Spuds

Thank you for the replies. I have not had this weird sensation in a few days. I would call my cardio dr. , but , all of the test i had done 2yrs ago (ekg, stress test, echo stress test, holter , ct angio) came back pretty much normal. Only thing he said was that i had cornary spasms. Yes, I have a big family history of heart diease. I do smoke (i know) and my dr. put me on liptor. But, dr. didn't seem too concern. I guess i just don't want to call and have them run test for it to turn out to be a wast of time.
If it happens again I will call.

Tests that can prevent death are never a waste of time... I had a heart attack at 34...

Best to get those tests updated, especially if you have a history in your family like I do.

Hello,
I could not believe that I got on here and actually heard someone describe something as "an electric shock". I had felt like it was something I couldn't even explain to my doctor. My doctor at the research center said he doesn't think it has anything to do with my Prinzmetal. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it can be fairly constant and bothersome. To me it feels much like when I was a kid and we would put a piece of grass on the electric fence for the cows and get that shock through the body. Just for fun one day I decided to make like a small groan sound each time I had the shock because for some reason I felt a need inside of me to react to the shock. I felt like a person that had that disease where you have random outburst! It felt good in some ways to acknowledge each "shock" but I realized I needed to not get in the habit of reacting that way. I just went out to get some things out of my car, I am still in Cincy from the heart study, and hitting the cold air started the spasms.
Sorry you have them but so glad my descriptionis not so far off base of what it feels like to others.
Take care.

So I thought I was crazy. I have these "electric shock feelings" in my chest right around my heart almost daily. No one I have talked to has ever heard of it before. I decided to google it and found Inspire. Not sure what to do about it. Last fall I thought I had a heart attack and saw a cardiologist, had some tests done and determined I didn't have one that day. Dr wanted me to do more tests (that insurance won't pay for and I can't afford) to see if I have heart disease. He didn't seem to think this shock feeling was a big deal...any suggestions? I am almost 50, previous smoker, mildy overweight, currently started working out again...it scares me tho as I have custody of my 4 yr old grandson and I have a 13 yr old son. If this is something serious I need to pursue it more ....so again, any suggestions at all would be helpful,.

BlondeBear, all I can do is mimic what everyone else here has said. I had that sensation for about two years before my CABG surgery and had had a negative stress test 6 months prior. I explained that feeling as a "buzzing in my chest" and my cardiologist just laughed. The last time I felt it was when I was in CCU recovering form the surgery and they were trying to make my heart do things via a pacing wire. I guess the moral is, if you think something is wrong, force them to take a closer look.

This is very strange . . . as I was planning to post under "Prinzmetal Pause Gone" . . . . I actually had not had an acute spasm for 12 weeks, and just this morning had 2 of them (was disappointed, cause I thought I might be in remission), Anyway, upon reading about this electric buzzing feeling, it's bizarre. Last week, I told my fiance' that I had this weird feeling in my chest/breast area, and it is exactly what you are all describing. And now my spasms are back!! I am thinking that is has to be connected somehow. Will try to remain optomistic and see what tomorrow morning brings!

I also had these "electric shock feelings" and was more or less dismissed by my doctor. The thing is...most doctors are not familiar with "women's heart symptoms" and they are quite different than men's....most doctors also do not investigate women's problems as quickly as men's. If you read all the posts, they were all from women experiencing the same symptoms. This should be brought to the attention of treating family physicians. It is also true that stress tests performed on women sometimes have negative results even when there is a problem. Women's veins for example, are smaller than men's and can be blocked easily, even when the larger ones have a stench put in. Better to get informed and keep insisting with the doctors.

Yesterday I too had an electric shock feeling in my heart it seemed to radiate under my left breast, i felt disoriented, i took 2 childrens aspirins and called a friend to take me to the hospital. I had an ECG and had a bunch of blood taken, all the tests came back normal but the doctor told me to follow up with my doctor. I also wake up in the night and in the morning with my heart pounding so hard and I don't know if that had anything to do with the electric shock? I am so freaked out because I do have alot of stress and I am a smoker.

I have had the electric shock and twitching upon waking from deep rem sleep and am a heart patient with an icd implqnt and on amiodarone and coreg.
I have recently been diagnosed with severe sleep
apnea during rem sleep.
cPAP machine has helped. I might suggest you have
a sleep lab study done.Apneas can lead to heart problems!
shamal

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.