Effient vs. Plavix

After two heart attacks and 4 stents, I left the hospital with a prescription for Effient, supposedly a better drug to keep arteries from clogging around stents. But after first month free sample, refills cost me $90 co-pay. So my doctor gave me an Rx for Plavix, which I see has side effects of bad bruising. The insurer (Physicians United) refused my doctor's appeal that it's not a good idea to switch from one to another. All experience with these two drugs would be appreciated.

25 replies. Join the discussion

Effient has a big bruising side effect as well. You might not have issues with bruising, not everyone does, I did not. The reason for effient not plavix is that a certain percentage of people cannot metabolize plavix. I don't think effient is any better, in fact it has a higher rate of bleeds than plavix. Lots of people have switched from one to the other. You misunderstand the effects.....clogging around stents happens with restenosis, neither plavix nor effient has an impact on that, but lots of people make that mistake. Antiplatelet drugs, like plavix and effient keep the platelets slippery to reduce the chances of thrombosis, which is a blood clot. While stents are new, before cells have covered the metal struts, there is a greater risk of blood clots. Once they are covered the risk is gone. Restenosis, or the stent clogging up with plaque, is prevented by lifestyle changes, statins, exercise. Good luck!

thank you so much! but can you tell me your history, age, male or female, CAD history, number of stents and how long did it take for your doctor to know you didn't need clog preventer anymore?

Here is a link to a coupon for a big discount on Effient. I got a huge discount on my Ranexa from this website. (dropped from $105 to $15!) Give it a try!! www.rxpharmacycoupons.com/effient-manufacturer-coupon.html

DJ

I used the #2 coupon with the blue print. CVS honors this coupon and their discount card, which they will send you in the mail.

DJ

54, was 52 when I had three heart attacks, in two weeks, had a 95% blocked circumflex, got one stent, was on plavix one year. Which is protocol where I live, been off just one year. Female.

I got a co-pay reduction coupon from Lilly who manufacturers Effient but my pharmacy won't take it because I have a Medicare supplement policy from a new insurer in South Florida, Physicians United. Apparently costs $600 retail ($30 a pill - yikes! I thought it was bad when the pharmaceutical industry wanted everyone to take a $2 a day pill (1990's). So my co-pay is $95 of the $600.

I could not take Plavix because I had an allergic reaction so I was put on Effient and I did very well with it and was on it a year after my heart attack and stent. I too was told Effient was better than Plavix. All drugs have side effects. Good luck and keep us posted.
Julie

Julie, I received your friend request but must decline. Please don't take it personally. I need to spend too much time at the computer as it is trying to make a living, researching better health (I have diabetes 2 also) etc. and must decline all friend requests. Best wishes for good health to you and yours.

I got the co-pay reduced to $78 and decided to pay it to stay on Effient rather than risk effects from changing drugs two months out from stent placement even though I am on a very small budget. Incidentally, my two day stay for my first heart attack was $17,259.00. My second heart attack stay where I was discharged on the third day was $174,915.50 which someone who was uninsured would be badgered to pay. America is controlled by the hospital and pharmaceutical industrial complexes and Congress is shamefully in their pocket.

Threesacharm....thanks for the explanation regarding why Plavix or Effient is used. One of my docs said to stop taking Plavix (which I take) one year after the heart attack, and the other one says to continue taking it indefinitely. However, I also have lupus so maybe that has something to do with my internist wanting me to continue taking it. Will ask.

I am very interested in how long persons with stents are told to stay on clog preventing drugs. My cardiologist said I can expect "either six months or forever" with no further explanation of why either decision will be made. My father-in-law, 85, had stents ten years ago and only took meds for a year.

One year for me for plavix, forever for aspirin. It depends on which country you live in, you are in the US which tends to lean towards forever in many cases. The answer is difficult because until the definitive study is released next year. Erring in the side of caution, many US cardiologists have chosen the forever route, although there are studies which have been done in other countries which indicate one year is sufficient. If you can tolerate it, best to go with what your doctor recommends based on your individual medical situation. As well, what is done with patients over the age of sixty five is quite often different than what is done with younger patients because of the physiological differences past a certain age.

Thanks, Threesacharm! Sensible advice.

hi all. stayed on plavix for four and a half years until i cut myself and couldn't stop bleeding until hospital visit and application of something developed in vietnam war to help stop bleeding. doctor said that no one really knows how long to keep patients on plavix....he decided on five years...just arbitrarily. am now only on aspirin. you must be very careful when on plavix because of bleeding.

I'm also on effient, 1 year. I read that it was specifically developed for people with stents. I also wonder about the timeframe. One year is minimum on either drug. Also I heard that it was tested on big men and not small women. It is stated on the med info. I asked my doc and he said it didn't matter. I am a small woman and am ok on it now but felt terrible most of last year. Only one doc seemed to think I should switch to plavix. I'm still on effient.

You probably would not feel any better on plavix, but you might. Effient was not developed specifically for stents, it was developed because plavix was kind of the only one in the game and some people cannot metabolize plavix so it does not work for them. Some people have less response to plavix as well. There is anther one as well, brillinta.

Does anyone have problems with fatigue ion effient.? I am so tired all the time.

I was very tired the first six months but cannot tell which med it was. I am on a cocktail. But I am less tired dice I started cardiac rehab.

Hi,
I have been on Plavix since my first stent in 2004. I now have three stents. I seem to tolerate Plavix very well. I also have a lot of problems with bruising, but oh well. I have a blood clotting disorder whereby my blood clots very easy. So I feel safe to be on Plavix indefinitely.

My cardio just told me that since I have a 65%-70% blockage in one of my stents, we will have to do a stent inside a stent in the near future. He said, that he would then put me on Effient instead of Plavix. He did not go into details why; he never does. I guess I will just have to trust him.
Any ideas why some doctors think Effient works better than Plavix?

Effluent does work better than plavix, it does have a higher bleeding risk, but it does not have issues with people being resistant. It is more expensive since plavix went generic. I know cardios here are using it more than plavix now.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.