Does anyone's heart race after walking upstairs?

I have noticed for the last 6-8 months, that sometimes my heart starts to race and I'm little out of breath when I walk upstairs. Sometimes just doing little things like rolling over in bed or brushing my teeth cause this also. It isn't all the time so I'm not sure what to think of this. I do have exercised induced asthma, so might this be what it is. I also have ventricular tachycardia. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Edited June 14, 2010 at 6:33 am

29 replies. Join the discussion

I can't even walk up a flight of stairs w/o being out of breath and my legs feel like lead. I have Prinzmetals angina and figured it was due to that but because of some other symtoms, am now being tested for muscle disease and autoimmune disorders. I would definitely tell your doctor, both cardio and primary.

I cannot walk up stair without my heart feeling like it will pop out of my chest. At night when I get up to use the bathroom when I lie back down my heart feels like a ping pong ball bouncing around same way if I roll over in bed. I stopped water exercises because I could not breath and my heart pounded now I now it was afib I also thought it was asthma. I told my Dr's and nothing was done until theycaught afib on one of their tests. Take care.

Going through this off and on since January, aortic valve replaced july 24, 2009.
Last couple months all te time so went to Dr. and was given ventolin and symbacort (think that's the name) as he finally saw me in distress.
Had chest xrays, checked throat, chest and such and though the chest sounded weezey first time not now...but I am exactly like you and when it gets hot i can't handle it.
I also get a lot of pain in left side and most days spend lots of time coughing up flem....I've never had this problem before.
Am scheduled for full puliminary test on June 25 at the hospital and can't take the puffers so this is a bit scary but best I'm at the hospital I guess...
thought I was only one dealing with this...this is why I come back to this site again and again...hope we can find a cause.... now back to making my 14 year old study for his science exam!

Thanks for your replies. I guess I better call my doctor, cause my asthma isn't getting better and all of your replies point more towards the heart. I do have v-fib, but this is different. Do your symptoms come and go? Or are they constant?
Lvfrogs, I hope your tests go well and would love to hear the results. What type of tests are they?
Leaj, are you now on medicines for your A-fib? Do they help?
Mysparetimedesign, I also am coughing up phlegm, but my doctor told me that I have reflux and on nexium. Maybe this is heart related. Good luck on the 25th. Let us know how it goes.
It sure would be nice to stop taking so much medicine and having the issue solved. I don't know about you, but I seem to be spending a lot of time at the doctors. Maybe I should stop all medicines and start again to see which ones I really do need.

Lumpy,
With my spasms, they seem to come in waves,like I will have a week full of them, and then go for 2 weeks with nothing. I take Verapamil so I think it really works for me and/or mine are just not as bad as some others. Everyone is different.
My other tests are blood work to check for lupus, arthritis, myositis, other muscle things.....it was about 10 vials of blood and I did look it all up but don't remember it all now. I have to have a full body bone scan too. I don't have any results yet and will try and remember to let you know. Send me a message if you like.
Also, I had a full pulmonary workup because of the breathing issues and it showed that one of my airways is constricted, not so badly that they think I have asthma but enough to give me an inhaler for use when I know I am going to be exercising or even, I used it the other night because it was so hot and we were at a concert.

Some things for you to think about. Do you have an appt. with your doctor soon?

Colleen

I was told I had exercise induced asthma too. I was on inhalers & steroids. Guess what? I had a 99% blockage of my LAD + 2 others & I was 30 years old!! I ended up with an emergency bypass. If you have v-tach & your symptoms are getting worse, you need to get to a GOOD cardio & schedule an angiogram ASAP!!!! Don't let them blow you off because of your age. You sound just like I felt before my massive MI. I don't want to scare you but don't wait to act on this. You don't get exercise induced asthma from rolling over in bed!!!! Or from walking across the street. You can get angina though & it's very serious if its happening at rest. Please don't wait!!!!

You have v-fib?! Ventricular fibrillation is an emergency that requires immediate medical attention. A person with ventricular fibrillation will collapse within seconds and soon won't be breathing or have a pulse. Emergency treatment for ventricular fibrillation includes cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and shocks to the heart with a device called a defibrillator. I wonder if you meant a-fib? In any event, any irregular heart rhythm should be evaluated by your doctor. Good luck finding some answers!

I have just went to my primary care doctor with symptoms of fast heart rate but I have a hard time climbing steps my heart rate increase and my legs feel like they can't move. Heart disease is in my family. I wore a heart monitor for 48 hrs. I go to my cardio dr on june 22.

Nancy-in-KC, I was reading the post above when I was typing this and accidentally wrote v-fib. I have ventricular tachycardia. I have had v-tach since I was a teen, but what I have now is new and very different.
MMaslek, I will call my doctor today and get an appointment. You have me convinced. Would an angiogram show what the problem is? You had 99% blokage at 30? You were so young to have that!!
Sengle, good luck on the 22nd. Let us know what your dr has to say.
Thanks again to all my heart sisters. I will call the doctor today and report my progress; very scary stuff, isn't it?

I don't mean to scare you but I had 2 MI's, 1 at 29 & a massive one @ 30. The angio will show definitively if there are any blockages. A Nuclear stress test will show it as well but to a less definitive degree. Mine showed a mild blockage with a 99 % of the LAD. I've had additional complications (2 bypass surgeries, 18 angio's (I think, I lose track)& 9 stents) because I have Lupus as well but your symptoms sound very much like mine did. I was told I had exercise asthma, then pleursy prior to my MI's. They also said I had mental issues. Women tend to get ignored in the cardiac dept especially if you're young & in semi-decent physical shape. If you already have a heart issue, I'd insist on an angio (don't allow them to do a wait & see which they may suggest). When you said the asthma happens at night when you roll over, bells & whistles went off in my head. Really, get to a cardio & take it very easy until they give you an all clear. If you have chest pain where you feel you need to use your inhaler for, get to an ER with a good cardiac dept.

Amy

I will definitely call my doctor tomorrow. Thanks for your help. I have this other symptom I noticed when I exercised. It feels like there is something like pressure just under my bra area in the middle and I also feel what I think is nerve pain, up to almost my shoulder. My doctor told me it was from the reflux...now I'm wondering not from what you are telling me. I know I have a lot of different health issues and sometime it is easy to say, this is causing this or that and not see the real problem.

Hi, I thought I had worsening asthma after walking upstairs and thought the pain in my arm was a trapped nerve from lifting my six month old in and out of the car. A 90 odd percent blockage, MI and stents in my LAD later told me otherwise. Better to be safe than sorry. Hope you get sorted.
Take care
Jay

Lumpy,
I have cardiomyopathy, which I first noticed your same symptoms and also blamed exercise and allergy induced asthma! Then I had a big episode - one that I now see is classified as a type of cardiac arrest! No pain, just alot of nausea, dizziness, and sweat followed by weird heart beats that didn't let up! Diagnosed in Aug. 06, ICD implanted in Aug. 08. Had no blockage - this is an "electrical" problem!
I am quite sure the echocardiogram, which is an ultrasound of the heart, was the test that told them what I have.

Please get checked and keep us posted!
BTW: don't use just plain generic albuterol! I was when this occured! I was recently at my electrophysiologist having my device checked and she asked me if I used that and said not to! I am on Xopenex.

Sunshine in 3D

Thanks for you replies. It has given me the push I needed to phone the doctor and start the ball rolling. I will definitely keep you posted.

I'm glad you are going to your doctor. I had a little shortness of break / discomfort when doing stairs, uphill - I ended up with the right coronary artery 95% closed. I have stents now, but if I hadn't gone to the doctor, I might not be answering this message or be doing it from a bed.

Lumpy, I take sotalol 160 mg 2xd when I first started my heart felt like a race horse waiting at the gate a lot of pressure then it would break through. I do not thing the meds works because I am in afib several times a day or constant 2 days. I also take coumadin. I have taken several different things that did not work. I have had trouble with DR's treating my family that have been terribly wrong on 3 very serious diseases and if I had not kept on it for them they would not be here. I always tell my grown children "you do not work for the Dr's they work for you."

Hi lumpy,

My heart races anytime I see Gerard Butler on-screen but that is totally different huh : )

I live with these unstable heart rhythms too luv. I just keep taking my beta blocker and keep diet fairly careful. Mostly, after 14 years I ignore the super annoying arrhythmias....ride them out, sit down and rest if possible for a bit. I report them to the doctor at followups. Stairs are often a trigger but I don't find that worrisome anymore...in fact, I bought a 3 story home for the stairs! Keeps my knees flexible....

have an 'uneventful' day,
J

Martzj, you are too funny. I'm sure the 3 flights of stairs keep you in shape. Do you get out of breath also with these arrhythmias? It feels like I have that type- fast heart rate and out of breath, and then just the regular type - fast heart beat that takes off for no reason. I know I need to see my Doctor to discuss this...soon.
you have a wonderful day also,
B

Hey JuiceR, what did the discomfort feel like? I feel like I get a little pressure in the middle below my ribs. It's usually when I am running though, but will pay attention to see if it happens when I go upstairs.
Thanks.

So nice to see all the great reply's. I too have a racing heart at random times, but especially after I have gone up stairs. Sometimes if I eat chocolate or duhh...had coffee. The real kind, not decaffe. It is so difficult to make the decision to take those stairs for your health but then no you will pay later with severe lack of energy. I started with a new cardiology clinic in Seattle and hope/prey they can help me manage my cardiomyopathy. Last week I was just sick all day long and felt the worst I hav felt since DX in 2007!! So my new people @ the U of Washington decided to switch my blood press meds. From Atacand to Cozar. I feel SO MUCH better. So now guess what they want to do now that I feel better? Up the dosage. OMG gluttens for punishment!! But last Fri @ the U I was suppose to do a pulmonary test, but my dr decided to have them reschedule because my BP was 155/96 and I felt so crappy. So is anyone out there on Cozar with any side effects or otherwise helpful advice?. OK so I got off track and yes my heart races at random times and its annoying. Not much you can do. I wonder if it gets picked up by my ICD settings? Hasnt before!
Take care heart sisters, you are all so AMAZING. Mary

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.