Crohn's disease

First, my apologies to anyone who takes offense at me being way off topic. My sisters are always a wealth of information on so many subjects, I thought I'd take a chance.

Some of you know my hubby was being screened for pancreatic/colon cancer. Today, a colonoscopy/endoscopy indicates severe Crohn's - we'll know for sure when biopsies come back hopefully Friday (and finally be able to rule out the cancer idea). He's probably on his way to surgery soon because the stenosis is severe - almost complete blockage (if it isn't a mass). So, I'm trying to figure out what we're dealing with, and wanted to know if my heart sisters had any experiences with this disease. I do understand it's chronic, though seldom fatal, and he is acute presently, though remission is the goal.

So, enlighten me my sisters...
Kristen

14 replies. Join the discussion

K - I wish I knew more. There is a prof at work who has Crohn's and it gets her down but never out . I'll research and find out what I can for you.

Rest easier,
Laura

Dear Kristin,

You know you're allowed to bring it here, no matter what. The things that happen in our lives around us and to those we love also affect our hearts.

Does you husband also have heart disease? How old is he? What else can you tell us about his medical history?

Laura has jumped on the research wheel and she seems to enjoy it (and it keeps her mind productively occupied while she is at work), so let's see what she comes up within the next few days. When I have more info. on your hubby, I will be happy to add my two cents worth. I know Crohn's is painful so if he reverts to being a 6-year-old who wants his mommy, don't be surprised. Sometimes TLC is the best prescription there is. Right now, until you get more of a grip on what's going on, I would simply pamper him in whatever way you know he likes pampering. And/or, buy him a toy :--)

I don't see a problem working on this together with you. (And I suspect Jaynie is all ready plugging away at those keys.)

Best regards,

Sherrie

Thanks Ladies! Sherrie - I always hesitate to go too much into any family stuff, never know if it might bother someone when it's not directly HD related, thanks for the encouragement!

Now, he's 47, generally very healthy, no HD, no family history of Crohn's. In the past 5 months he's had severe stomach pain with chronic diahrrea (I finally had to put my foot down on going to doc or we'd been in a worse situation soon!), no blood apparent but obviously blood in the colon from the pics. The blockage is nearly complete, so we're hoping the meds, anti-inflammatories - work quickly and he can avoid surgery - I know it's not an easy one. He can't eat broccoli any more- poor baby, hates it anyway! :) Now I can't force him using the it's good for you thing, dang!

I have learned it's not uncommon to have sudden onset on your 30's and 40's, and others live with it starting in thier 20's.

Just a heart note, so far mine is doing okay, I'm so releaved there was no overt sign of cancer - so no attacks, no funny stuff there! Yippee! As long as he's okay, I'm okay! He hates to be babied, but favrite little candies here and there, cards, a favorite meal is just the ticket right now i think to pamper him!
Love and hugs,
K

Doug Kaufmann ( www.know the cause.com) says Chrons Disease is caused by a fungus. I watch him every morning at 6:00AM. He is fascinating. Try going to his website and check out what he has to say.

Hugs,
KAthi

Email to a friend
Print this page

PDF Version * (116 KB)
Home : Digestive Diseases A-Z List of Topics and Titles : Crohn’s Disease
Crohn’s Disease
On this page:

What is Crohn’s disease?
What causes Crohn’s disease?
What are the symptoms?
How is Crohn’s disease diagnosed?
What are the complications of Crohn’s disease?
What is the treatment for Crohn’s disease?
Can diet control Crohn’s disease?
Can stress make Crohn’s disease worse?
Is pregnancy safe for women with Crohn’s disease?
Hope through Research
For More Information
What is Crohn’s disease?
Crohn’s disease is an ongoing disorder that causes inflammation of the digestive tract, also referred to as the gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Crohn’s disease can affect any area of the GI tract, from the mouth to the anus, but it most commonly affects the lower part of the small intestine, called the ileum. The swelling extends deep into the lining of the affected organ. The swelling can cause pain and can make the intestines empty frequently, resulting in diarrhea.

The digestive system.

Crohn’s disease is an inflammatory bowel disease, the general name for diseases that cause swelling in the intestines. Because the symptoms of Crohn’s disease are similar to other intestinal disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis, it can be difficult to diagnose. Ulcerative colitis causes inflammation and ulcers in the top layer of the lining of the large intestine. In Crohn’s disease, all layers of the intestine may be involved, and normal healthy bowel can be found between sections of diseased bowel.

Crohn’s disease affects men and women equally and seems to run in some families. About 20 percent of people with Crohn’s disease have a blood relative with some form of inflammatory bowel disease, most often a brother or sister and sometimes a parent or child. Crohn’s disease can occur in people of all age groups, but it is more often diagnosed in people between the ages of 20 and 30. People of Jewish heritage have an increased risk of developing Crohn’s disease, and African Americans are at decreased risk for developing Crohn’s disease.

Crohn’s disease may also be called ileitis or enteritis.

[Top]

What causes Crohn’s disease?
Several theories exist about what causes Crohn’s disease, but none have been proven. The human immune system is made from cells and different proteins that protect people from infection. The most popular theory is that the body’s immune system reacts abnormally in people with Crohn’s disease, mistaking bacteria, foods, and other substances for being foreign. The immune system’s response is to attack these “invaders.” During this process, white blood cells accumulate in the lining of the intestines, producing chronic inflammation, which leads to ulcerations and bowel injury.

Scientists do not know if the abnormality in the functioning of the immune system in people with Crohn’s disease is a cause, or a result, of the disease. Research shows that the inflammation seen in the GI tract of people with Crohn’s disease involves several factors: the genes the patient has inherited, the immune system itself, and the environment. Foreign substances, also referred to as antigens, are found in the environment. One possible cause for inflammation may be the body’s reaction to these antigens, or that the antigens themselves are the cause for the inflammation. Some scientists think that a protein produced by the immune system, called anti-tumor necrosis factor (TNF), may be a possible cause for the inflammation associated with Crohn’s disease.

[Top]

What are the symptoms?
The most common symptoms of Crohn’s disease are abdominal pain, often in the lower right area, and diarrhea. Rectal bleeding, weight loss, arthritis, skin problems, and fever may also occur. Bleeding may be serious and persistent, leading to anemia. Children with Crohn’s disease may suffer delayed development and stunted growth. The range and severity of symptoms varies.

[Top]

How is Crohn’s disease diagnosed?
A thorough physical exam and a series of tests may be required to diagnose Crohn’s disease.

Blood tests may be done to check for anemia, which could indicate bleeding in the intestines. Blood tests may also uncover a high white blood cell count, which is a sign of inflammation somewhere in the body. By testing a stool sample, the doctor can tell if there is bleeding or infection in the intestines.

The doctor may do an upper GI series to look at the small intestine. For this test, the person drinks barium, a chalky solution that coats the lining of the small intestine, before x rays are taken. The barium shows up white on x-ray film, revealing inflammation or other abnormalities in the intestine. If these tests show Crohn’s disease, more x rays of both the upper and lower digestive tract may be necessary to see how much of the GI tract is affected by the disease.

The doctor may also do a visual exam of the colon by performing either a sigmoidoscopy or a colonoscopy. For both of these tests, the doctor inserts a long, flexible, lighted tube linked to a computer and TV monitor into the anus. A sigmoidoscopy allows the doctor to examine the lining of the lower part of the large intestine, while a colonoscopy allows the doctor to examine the lining of the entire large intestine. The doctor will be able to see any inflammation or bleeding during either of these exams, although a colonoscopy is usually a better test because the doctor can see the entire large intestine. The doctor may also do a biopsy, which involves taking a sample of tissue from the lining of the intestine to view with a microscope.

[Top]

What are the complications of Crohn’s disease?
The most common complication is blockage of the intestine. Blockage occurs because the disease tends to thicken the intestinal wall with swelling and scar tissue, narrowing the passage. Crohn’s disease may also cause sores, or ulcers, that tunnel through the affected area into surrounding tissues, such as the bladder, vagina, or skin. The areas around the anus and rectum are often involved. The tunnels, called fistulas, are a common complication and often become infected. Sometimes fistulas can be treated with medicine, but in some cases they may require surgery. In addition to fistulas, small tears called fissures may develop in the lining of the mucus membrane of the anus.

Nutritional complications are common in Crohn’s disease. Deficiencies of proteins, calories, and vitamins are well documented. These deficiencies may be caused by inadequate dietary intake, intestinal loss of protein, or poor absorption, also referred to as malabsorption.

Other complications associated with Crohn’s disease include arthritis, skin problems, inflammation in the eyes or mouth, kidney stones, gallstones, or other diseases of the liver and biliary system. Some of these problems resolve during treatment for disease in the digestive system, but some must be treated separately.

[Top]

What is the treatment for Crohn’s disease?
Treatment may include drugs, nutrition supplements, surgery, or a combination of these options. The goals of treatment are to control inflammation, correct nutritional deficiencies, and relieve symptoms like abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding. At this time, treatment can help control the disease by lowering the number of times a person experiences a recurrence, but there is no cure. Treatment for Crohn’s disease depends on the location and severity of disease, complications, and the person’s response to previous medical treatments when treated for reoccurring symptoms.

Some people have long periods of remission, sometimes years, when they are free of symptoms. However, the disease usually recurs at various times over a person’s lifetime. This changing pattern of the disease means one cannot always tell when a treatment has helped. Predicting when a remission may occur or when symptoms will return is not possible.

Someone with Crohn’s disease may need medical care for a long time, with regular doctor visits to monitor the condition.

Drug Therapy
Anti-Inflammation Drugs. Most people are first treated with drugs containing mesalamine, a substance that helps control inflammation. Sulfasalazine is the most commonly used of these drugs. Patients who do not benefit from it or who cannot tolerate it may be put on other mesalamine-containing drugs, generally known as 5-ASA agents, such as Asacol, Dipentum, or Pentasa. Possible side effects of mesalamine-containing drugs include nausea, vomiting, heartburn, diarrhea, and headache.

Cortisone or Steroids. Cortisone drugs and steroids—called corticosteriods—provide very effective results. Prednisone is a common generic name of one of the drugs in this group of medications. In the beginning, when the disease it at its worst, prednisone is usually prescribed in a large dose. The dosage is then lowered once symptoms have been controlled. These drugs can cause serious side effects, including greater susceptibility to infection.

Immune System Suppressors. Drugs that suppress the immune system are also used to treat Crohn’s disease. Most commonly prescribed are 6-mercaptopurine or a related drug, azathioprine. Immunosuppressive agents work by blocking the immune reaction that contributes to inflammation. These drugs may cause side effects like nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea and may lower a person’s resistance to infection. When patients are treated with a combination of corticosteroids and immunosuppressive drugs, the dose of corticosteroids may eventually be lowered. Some studies suggest that immunosuppressive drugs may enhance the effectiveness of corticosteroids.

Infliximab (Remicade). This drug is the first of a group of medications that blocks the body’s inflammation response. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the drug for the treatment of moderate to severe Crohn’s disease that does not respond to standard therapies (mesalamine substances, corticosteroids, immunosuppressive agents) and for the treatment of open, draining fistulas. Infliximab, the first treatment approved specifically for Crohn’s disease is a TNF substance. Additional research will need to be done in order to fully understand the range of treatments Remicade may offer to help people with Crohn’s disease.

Antibiotics. Antibiotics are used to treat bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine caused by stricture, fistulas, or prior surgery. For this common problem, the doctor may prescribe one or more of the following antibiotics: ampicillin, sulfonamide, cephalosporin, tetracycline, or metronidazole.

Anti-Diarrheal and Fluid Replacements. Diarrhea and crampy abdominal pain are often relieved when the inflammation subsides, but additional medication may also be necessary. Several antidiarrheal agents could be used, including diphenoxylate, loperamide, and codeine. Patients who are dehydrated because of diarrhea will be treated with fluids and electrolytes.

Nutrition Supplementation
The doctor may recommend nutritional supplements, especially for children whose growth has been slowed. Special high-calorie liquid formulas are sometimes used for this purpose. A small number of patients may need to be fed intravenously for a brief time through a small tube inserted into the vein of the arm. This procedure can help patients who need extra nutrition temporarily, those whose intestines need to rest, or those whose intestines cannot absorb enough nutrition from food. There are no known foods that cause Crohn’s disease. However, when people are suffering a flare in disease, foods such as bulky grains, hot spices, alcohol, and milk products may increase diarrhea and cramping.

Surgery
Two-thirds to three-quarters of patients with Crohn’s disease will require surgery at some point in their lives. Surgery becomes necessary when medications can no longer control symptoms. Surgery is used either to relieve symptoms that do not respond to medical therapy or to correct complications such as blockage, perforation, abscess, or bleeding in the intestine. Surgery to remove part of the intestine can help people with Crohn’s disease, but it is not a cure. Surgery does not eliminate the disease, and it is not uncommon for people with Crohn’s Disease to have more than one operation, as inflammation tends to return to the area next to where the diseased intestine was removed.

Some people who have Crohn’s disease in the large intestine need to have their entire colon removed in an operation called a colectomy. A small opening is made in the front of the abdominal wall, and the tip of the ileum, which is located at the end of the small intestine, is brought to the skin’s surface. This opening, called a stoma, is where waste exits the body. The stoma is about the size of a quarter and is usually located in the right lower part of the abdomen near the beltline. A pouch is worn over the opening to collect waste, and the patient empties the pouch as needed. The majority of colectomy patients go on to live normal, active lives.

Sometimes only the diseased section of intestine is removed and no stoma is needed. In this operation, the intestine is cut above and below the diseased area and reconnected.

Because Crohn’s disease often recurs after surgery, people considering it should carefully weigh its benefits and risks compared with other treatments. Surgery may not be appropriate for everyone. People faced with this decision should get as much information as possible from doctors, nurses who work with colon surgery patients (enterostomal therapists), and other patients. Patient advocacy organizations can suggest support groups and other information resources. (See For More Information for the names of such organizations.)

People with Crohn’s disease may feel well and be free of symptoms for substantial spans of time when their disease is not active. Despite the need to take medication for long periods of time and occasional hospitalizations, most people with Crohn’s disease are able to hold jobs, raise families, and function successfully at home and in society.

[Top]

Can diet control Crohn’s disease?
People with Crohn’s disease often experience a decrease in appetite, which can affect their ability to receive the daily nutrition needed for good health and healing. In addition, Crohn’s disease is associated with diarrhea and poor absorption of necessary nutrients. No special diet has been proven effective for preventing or treating Crohn’s disease, but it is very important that people who have Crohn’s disease follow a nutritious diet and avoid any foods that seem to worsen symptoms. There are no consistent dietary rules to follow that will improve a person’s symptoms.

People should take vitamin supplements only on their doctor’s advice.

[Top]

Can stress make Crohn’s disease worse?
There is no evidence showing that stress causes Crohn’s disease. However, people with Crohn’s disease sometimes feel increased stress in their lives from having to live with a chronic illness. Some people with Crohn’s disease also report that they experience a flare in disease when they are experiencing a stressful event or situation. There is no type of person that is more likely to experience a flare in disease than another when under stress. For people who find there is a connection between their stress level and a worsening of their symptoms, using relaxation techniques, such as slow breathing, and taking special care to eat well and get enough sleep, may help them feel better.

[Top]

Is pregnancy safe for women with Crohn’s disease?
Research has shown that the course of pregnancy and delivery is usually not impaired in women with Crohn’s disease. Even so, women with Crohn’s disease should discuss the matter with their doctors before pregnancy. Most children born to women with Crohn’s disease are unaffected. Children who do get the disease are sometimes more severely affected than adults, with slowed growth and delayed sexual development in some cases.

[Top]

Hope through Research
The National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) conducts and supports research into many kinds of digestive disorders, including Crohn’s disease. Several clinical trials are currently evaluating the efficacy and safety of different therapies for the treatment of Crohn’s disease. For a complete listing of trials being conducted, visit www.clinicaltrials.gov.

The U.S. Government does not endorse or favor any specific commercial product or company. Trade, proprietary, or company names appearing in this document are used only because they are considered necessary in the context of the information provided. If a product is not mentioned, the omission does not mean or imply that the product is unsatisfactory.

[Top]

For More Information
Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America
386 Park Avenue South, 17th Floor
New York, NY 10016–8804
Phone: 1–800–932–2423 or 212–685–3440
Email: info@ccfa.org
Internet: www.ccfa.org

Reach Out for Youth with Ileitis and Colitis, Inc.
84 Northgate Circle
Melville, NY 11747
Phone: Phone: 631–293–3102
Email: reachoutforyouth@reachoutforyouth.org
Internet: www.reachoutforyouth.org

United Ostomy Association, Inc.
19772 MacArthur Blvd #200
Irvine, CA 92612–2405
Phone: 1–800–826–0826 or 949–660–8624
Fax: 949–660–9262
Email: uoa@deltanet.com
Internet: www.uoa.org

Crohn's disease

Alternative Names

Inflammatory bowel disease - Crohn's disease; Regional enteritis; Ileitis; Granulomatous ileocolitis
Definition Return to top

Crohn's disease is a form of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), which involves ongoing (chronic) inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract. Crohn's-related inflammation usually affects the intestines, but may occur anywhere from the mouth to the end of the rectum (anus).

See also: Ulcerative colitis

Causes Return to top

While the exact cause of Crohn's disease is unknown, the condition is linked to a problem with the body's immune system response.

Normally, the immune system helps protect the body, but with Crohn's disease the immune system can't tell the difference between good substances and foreign invaders. The result is an overactive immune response that leads to chronic inflammation. This is called an autoimmune disorder.

There are five different types of Crohn's disease:

Ileocolitis is the most common form. It affects the lowest part of the small intestine (ileum) and the large intestine (colon).
Ileitis affects the ileum.
Gastroduodenal Crohn's disease causes inflammation in the stomach and first part of the small intestine, called the duodenum.
Jejunoileitis causes spotty patches of inflammation in the top half of the small intestine (jejunum).
Crohn's (granulomatous) colitis only affects the large intestine.
A person's genes and environmental factors seem to play a role in the development of Crohn's disease. The body may be overreacting to normal bacteria in the intestines.

The inflammation related to Crohn's disease frequently occurs at the end of the small intestine that joins the large intestine, but it may occur in any area of the digestive tract. There can be healthy patches of tissue between diseased areas. The ongoing inflammation causes the intestinal wall to become thick.

The disease may occur at any age, but it usually occurs in people between ages 15 - 35. Risk factors include:

Family history of Crohn's disease
Jewish ancestry
Smoking
Symptoms Return to top

Symptoms depend on what part of the gastrointestinal tract is affected. Symptoms range from mild to severe, and can come and go with periods of flare-ups.

The main symptoms of Crohn's disease are:

Crampy abdominal (belly area) pain
Fever
Fatigue
Persistent, watery diarrhea
Other symptoms may include:

Abdominal fullness and gas
Clotting problems (deep vein thrombosis)
Constipation
Eye inflammation
Fistulas (usually around the rectal area, may cause draining of pus, mucus, or stools)
Gastrointestinal bleeding
Joint pain
Kidney stones
Liver inflammation
Loss of appetite
Pain with passing stool (Tenesmus)
Rectal bleeding and bloody stools
Skin rash
Swollen gums
Unintentional weight loss
Exams and Tests Return to top

A physical examination may reveal an abdominal mass or tenderness, skin rash, swollen joints or mouth ulcers. Tests to diagnose Crohn's disease include:

Barium enema
Colonoscopy
Computed tomography (CT scan) of the abdomen
Endoscopy
Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the abdomen
Sigmoidoscopy with small bowel biopsy
Small bowel x-ray series
Upper GI series
A stool culture may be done to rule out other possible causes of the symptoms.

This disease may also alter the results of the following tests:

Albumin
C-reactive protein
Erythrocyte sedimentation rate
Fecal fat
Hemoglobin
Liver function tests
White blood cell count
Treatment Return to top

Medicines that may be prescribed include:

Aminosalicylates (5-ASAs) are medicines that help control mild to moderate inflammation. Some forms of the drug are taken by mouth; others must be given rectally.
Corticosteroids (prednisone and methylprednisolone) are used to treat moderate to severe Crohn's disease. They may be taken by mouth or inserted into the rectum.
Immunomodulators such as azathioprine or 6-mercaptopurine help reduce the need for corticosteroids and can help heal some fistulas.
Antibiotics may be prescribed for abscesses or fistulas.
Biologic therapy is used to treat patients with severe Crohn's disease that does not respond to any other types of medication. Infliximab (Remicade) and adalimumab (Humira) are approved for Crohn's disease. They belong to a class of drugs called monoclonal antibodies, which help block an immune system chemical that promotes inflammation. Infliximab is also approved for patients with fistulous disease. Other related drugs are being studied.
If medicines do not work, a type of surgery called bowel resection may be needed to remove a damaged or diseased part of the intestine or to drain an abscess. A procedure called anastomosis is done to connect the remaining two ends of the bowel.

According to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America, two-thirds to three-quarters of patients with Crohn's disease will need bowel surgery at some time. However, unlike ulcerative colitis, surgically removing the diseased portion of the intestine does not cure the condition.

Patients who have Crohn's disease that does not respond to medications may need surgery, especially when there are complications such as:

Bleeding (hemorrhage)
Fistulas
Infections (abscesses)
Narrowing (strictures)
Some patients may need surgery to remove the entire large intestine (colon), with or without the rectum.

No specific diet has been shown to improve or worsen the bowel inflammation in Crohn's disease. However, eating a healthy amount of calories, vitamins, and protein is important to avoid malnutrition and weight loss. Avoid foods that worsen diarrhea. Specific food problems may vary from person to person.

People who have a blockage of the intestines may need to avoid raw fruits and vegetables. Those who have difficulty digesting milk sugar (lactose) may need to avoid milk products.

Support Groups Return to top

The Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America offers support groups throughout the United States. See http://www.ccfa.org/chapters/

Outlook (Prognosis) Return to top

There is no cure for Crohn's disease. The condition is marked by periods of improvement followed by flare-ups of symptoms.

It is very important to stay on medications long-term to try to keep the disease symptoms from returning. If you stop or change your medications for any reason, let your doctor know right away.

You have a higher risk for small bowel and colon cancer if you have Crohn's disease.

Possible Complications Return to top

Abscess
Bowel obstructions
Complications of corticosteroid therapy
Erythema nodosum
Fistulas in the following areas:
Bladder
Skin
Vagina
Impaired growth and sexual development in children
Inflammation of the joints
Lesions in the eye
Nutritional deficiencies (particularly vitamin B12 deficiency)
Pyoderma gangrenosum
When to Contact a Medical Professional Return to top

Call for an appointment with your health care provider if:

You have symptoms of Crohn's disease
You are already diagnosed with Crohn's disease and your symptoms get worse or do not improve with treatment
You are already diagnosed with Crohn's disease and you develop new symptoms
References Return to top

US Food and Drug Administration. FDA Approves New Treatment For Crohn's Disease. Rockville, MD: National Press Office; February 27, 2007: Report P07-30.

Sandborn WJ, Hanauer SB, Rutgeerts PJ, et al. Adalimumab for Maintenance Treatment of Crohn's Disease: Results of the CLASSIC II Trial. Gut. 2007 Feb 13 [Epub ahead of print].

Gardiner KR. Operative management of small bowel Crohn's disease. Surg Clin North Am. 2007; 87 (3): 587-610.

Graham L. AGA Reviews the Use of Corticosteroids, Immunomodulators, and Infliximab in IBD. Am Fam Physician. 2007; 75 (3): 410-412.

Update Date: 2/20/2008

Dear Kristen,

Another Autoimmune disorder . . . .

I read several articles saying that it is NOT linked to emotional stress/distress. So the good news is that you can tell him he ain't crazy (or is that debatable?)

Hope this helps you out.

May the Blessings Be!

Sherrie

Hi Sherri,

You do great research - just a suggestion- it might be easier reading and digesting if you can give us a line or two in your own words as to what an article is about and then post the website link. The format on this site is really hard to read and the lengthy posts tend to turn into a blur at least for me. That narrow column width and one style fits all for the type face makes all the text look the same.

You beat me to the Crohn's research and I think this should give Kristen enough to digest for a while.

Have a great evening, I'm off to bed because tomorrow is another day!
Laura

Thanks! I'd actually found both of those sites when I got home. The good news is it's not fatal, the bad is he's pretty close to obstuction. Hopefully we'll know more Friday. The doc was very clear that we would be talking soon - doc code for we're not done with you yet... Jeff's happy to be able to eat solid food today - poor guy won't ever look at Gatoraide the same way! I hardly have the heart to tell him colonoscopies are going to become part of his life now!

I'll check out the fungus idea too.

His only question was I'm going to be okay aren't I? Yep - you might have periods of being miserable, you might have to have surgery, you're going to have to take meds your whole life, but welceom to the club! You're going to be okay! I might search out some support sites, would be good to tlak to someone who lives with it, thoguh I have also heard people run the gammut with this from very mild to nightmarishly severe.

Just having you ladies here to care helps me, and letting me do some processing is huge, thank you SO mcu!
Love and hugs,
K

Hi Laura,

I have every intention of taking your suggestion--when I learn how--

Kathi (the other alternative medicine freak) and I are going to pull a "Laura/Gracie/Abby" reunion of our own. She's in Michigan as we speak, and we are going to spend some time hanging out together within the next few days. Her husband is going to teach me how to post a URL and a video. So no need to buy new glasses quite yet.

Didn't mean to beat you to the punch but Kristen seemed to be at her computer and wanted some answers so I just hopped to it in the best way I knew how.

BTW--how did you guys get the photo up there? And now I'm dying to know how tall you are? Was this some kinda' trick you two pulled? Great picture! It's nice to know what the people look like we are writing to. You "don't look sick" LOL!

Nighty-night, don't let the bedbugs bite--

Sherrie

Kwinner, way back in 1987, I was diagnosed with candidiasis. This is a systemic yeast overgrowth which can create havoc in any part of the body. It can cause emotional problems, gastrointestinal issues etc etc. In short it can affect your body in any manner. Dr, Orion Truss discovered it while working in the bowery in NY. A man came in to the ER with a cut, which nearly killed him. The antibiotics the hospital had given allowed yeast to overgrow disproportionately nearly causing the man to lose his life. Dr. Truss figured the whole thing out. You had to rebalance the good and bad bacteria in the colon because antibiotics kill everything. Dr. William Crook has much to say on this topic as well. I followed his diet back in 1987, which eliminates sugars and carbs. (These feed the yeast.)

Being deathly ill in 1987, I went to doctor after doctor and allergists too. Everytime I stepped into work, I was as sick as sick could be. The toxic environment
was too toxic for my immune system to handle. I coud survive at home, but not at work. Not one docotor could help me. Finally I settled with a nutrtionist/medical doctor who recognized what I had. He was on the cutting edge and helped me when no one else could. I went from barely being able to work to functioning full throttle. Doug Kaufmann thinks on the same lines. You can review his programs online and get a flavor of how he thinks.

Believe me, if I didn't get help way back when, I wouldn't easily come to this way of thinking. Now you see the activia commercials. This is replacing the good bacteria in the colon. However, there is too much sugar in activia. Use of a good probiotic is essential to rebuilding the colon's good bacteria. As I have said before, not all supplements are created equal. You must get one that is enteric coated and pharmaceutical quality. Yeast/fungus can be killed through drugs ( nystatin, diflucan) or through supplements ( garlic, olive leaf, oregano oil, caprylic acid to name a few) I have experienced this and can say with confidence that I know what I am talking about.

Chrons is just one problem of yeast/fungus overgrowth. It can be corrected and healed. But you must think out of the box. Not all docs are familiar with this line of thinking. I have been there and done that and know for a fact thinking differently works. It helped me when no one else could. I have also had to think out of the box to help my CFS. Candidiasis is only one of the problems that can contribute to CFS/Fibro. There are 7-8 parts of the body that need to be addressed with this problem.

I hope this helps and you will garner some wisdom from my information. When you are desperate, you seek the help any way you can get it. This is what I had to do and it works.

Blessings and hugs,
Kathi

Sherri,
How exciting for you and Kathi - I know it will be a memorable meeting. I'll do a separate post on how to do pictures so everyone will see that answer.

Laura

Kristen,

My sister has had Chrons disease for at least 40 years. She has had may bad bout but she generally does ok. Diet is a big part of it. Certain foods trigger flare ups. It also seems anytime she has to have surgery for any reason she has a severe flare up of the Chrons. Once you husband knows his limitations things will get easier for him. He will probably do like most of us do and want to deny it at first. Acceptance comes slowly.

I wish you and him the best.

Warm Regards,

Rose

My bff's husband has Chron's.He was diagnosed 7 yrs oago.He has flare-ups now and then.Has had several inches of intestines removed.He is doing fairly well.I just know you can live with it and just be aware when the flare-ups come along.I think he has had 4 surgeries done ,since diagnosis.
Good Luck...

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.