crease in the ear lobe and heart disease

I was watching a Dr oz show where he said that a sign of heart disease is a crease down the ear lobe. This means that significant disease has set in. I have a ear lobe crease on my left lobe that is not there on my right side. Also he says that when you breath in kind of like a sigh... If you have breaking of breath like a baby does after she/he has been crying for a while "babies do this all the time when crying" kind of like a gasping but not really.. Its hard to explain. Any ways if you do this it is also a heart disease indicator. I do it all the time and im not crying or have not been crying.. What do you girls think? I love Dr Oz. Good cardiologist for sure. Wish i could talk to him.
Deb

21 replies. Join the discussion

G O have the angiogram. You have a panic disorder which can ALSO cause trouble breathing.

your funny ty ty.. LOL!!! I am going to have the angiogram, i just thought it was interesting that Dr Oz talked about heart disease and indicators that we can see on the outside of our bodies. I find him interesting amongst other things ive learned.

Well it can't be true for all because I don't have a crease---of course I am told I have really small ears!

Interesting concept enough to where I had to go research it:)

Love in Christ,

Cindy

Dootles, you watch too much tv and internet, don't you have enough to worry about? ;-)

Here's a link to The Straight Dope which has an article about it: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2892/are-earlobe-creases-a-sign-of -heart-disease

Also watch out for green snot and dry earwax, LOL.

I think of Dr. Oz as more of a TV personality/publicity hound than a doctor. But he sure does make a lot of money selling people stuff.

I had heard that years ago. I have creases, but I did not have them earlier in life. Creases, must be why I had a heart attack.............of course it does not explain why only two of ten in my cardiac rehab class had creases........I look at everyone's earlobes now.....so maybe they had hidden creases, or maybe they were using cover up! If only it were that easy, we could just refuse health insurance to anyone with creases..........would save a lot of money since cardiac patients are so expensive. My momma always said, don't borrow trouble. Do what you can to avoid heart disease but if you don't already have it, worrying about getting it seems a tad bit like a waste of time.

Ok Ok... I get it!! LOL!! I do have alot more to worry about then this crease that i have. I am going to my cardiologist because i have been on zoloft for about 8 to 10 years and the black box warning of this drug is Bundle branch block. Well I have that now and there was a time about 7 months ago that i tried to get off zoloft because i wanted to switch to Well Butrin. I cut back and started to have major symptoms and went back on full strenth after about 5 weeks of cutting back slowly. I emailed the doc and he wants to see me.. I would like to think that my cardiologist just finds me attractive and thats why he always wants me to come in..... Yea i couldnt get so lucky LOL!!! He is the nicest man i think ive ever met. He is pushing the angio badly i think he is going to push for it quickly. O well life is nutso coo coo right now, why not add zoloft to the mix.

I have no creases in my ears, so the doctor must have been wrong when he stented a blocked LAD. And I guess the echo is wrong...I can't have congestive heart failure. You do watch too much TV and you are on the internet too much. the internet can be helpful, but also your worst nightmare. I think anyone with an anxiety disorder should stay off of the internet. This is one of the only places I have found where you get positive feedback about heart disease. Most websites are gloom and doom. And/or you only find those people who whine and moan on most sites. I had a good friend who used to say..."Don't trouble trouble, until trouble troubles you." I don't go looking for problems. Nor do I look for answers to WHY. I refuse to give in to my heart and lungs and kidneys....and I intend to live a long life!!!!! My granddaughter is 7 and she NEEDS grandma. So, I don't plan on going anywhere. If you sit and analyze everything you do, how you breathe, etc. you can find any number of problems. I also have found (with the help of my therapist) that life is ONLY nutsy coo coo if I MAKE it that way. I'm going to get off the heart for one minute and recommend to anyone on here around 50 or older to read "50 is the New Fifty" by Suzanne Braun Levine. It is a great book and might help you let go of being nutsy coo coo.

Dootles ....forget the ear lobe creases :-) .....I'm more worried about that Baby Breath now - I do it all the time lol!!!

Oddly enough eversince I heard about the ear lobe theory years ago I LQQK at everyones earlobes!!! even the News men on TV!!! ...Nuts - I know:-) I'll be looking how everyone is breathing now!!! :-)

Lilac.. I do it all the time to! But what ever it means.. It is what it is. Im on to bigger better things today! :) Hugs girl!

When I first heard about the creases years ago I checked my mother's ear lobes because she did have heart disease. The creases were there. Around that time I checked mine too and I did not have them. I remember being relieved. I do have creases in my ear lobes now and I have heart disease now. I had not heard about the breathing issue correlation with heart disease but I did breath or sigh like that all the time and again I do have heart disease. Very non-scientific study yet it is what it is.

I wonder why and apparently no one knows.

The link above in Dootles' post is a good one and entertaining.

Mine was not there one year ago when i first heard Dr oz speak of such a thing. Now it is there clearly for sure. I even had my hubby look at it. Its on my left side and so is my left bundle branch block. Weird.. I am still checking into it, however yarn kitty posted a site on her comment. Look at it. Very interesting. Plus I have dry ear wax which the japanese say is a sign of athleosclorosis. Even more interesting.. Digging for answers since i have to be my own advocate. Thats ok im like that and will get to the bottom of it. :>

Interesting. In tracing my genealogy I ran across one family that a family trait was a crease in one ear lobe (I forget whether left or right). I also don't remember which surname family it was. Too bad. It might be interesting to go back and trace that family to see if heart conditions were a common cause of death. Ah well.

Hi! I just checked again and the crease in my left ear lobe is more noticeable! I also have left bundle branch block. When I am aware of it, and when my seasonal allergies cause congestion, the discharge ranges from clear to green. My ear wax is moist though.

LOL!!! Yarnkitty....ever the voice of reason!! That was hilarious......

Oh no, my earwax is dry, and I have a crease, wait no, two creases. No green snot.......my grandson has green snot, that is a first degree relative, does that count, or maybe I might catch it and then I would have it........

Laughter is the best medicine!

Goodness gracious...I hadn't heard about the ear creases and I guess neither had my heart...I had a heart attack a number of years ago and my ears are still uncreased. HOWEVER...I had 'heard' that skin tags were indicative of someone's propensity to develop heart disease...and alac and alas, I have developed enough skin tags that sometimes I feel one could play dot-to-dot around my neck area...I believe the things we need to be aware of are the more obvious...aches/pains/blue fingernail beds/etc...and not concentrate on the dot-to-dots and origami earlobes....because if we do, as someone above mentioned, we are creating more stress for ourselves and our hearts.

Dear Dootles, The earlobe thing has been around forever, and is both a folk tale and seems to have some basis in reality. My cardiologist says that there does seem to be some connection, but certainly not as certain as what Oz is saying. I'd look up the academic research for confirmation. I know many folks with heart disease that have no creases in their earlobes. If heart disease diagnosis was as simple as looking at earlobes, we'd all have been diagnosed and pretreated as children or young adults. Creases get bigger and smaller due to dehydration, weight gain and loss and are somewhat determined by genes. Perhaps they're hitched up with a heart disease gene, but I'm not sure that anyone has definitively figured that one out yet.
I hope that your own heart concerns are diagnosed and treated in a timely manner so as to diminish the effects.
Love,
Melissa

I would also guess that skin tags are more prevalent in overweight people and overweight people are more prone to certain types of heart disease. I say this as an overweight person with heart disease. :-)

VickyL

I love that ...Oragami earlobes!!! :-) My hubby has taken to oragami recently and very pleased with himself he is too! I think I'll set him a challenge... just lets see him make a pair of those in a hurry! At least Christmas is over and I'll not have to hang them on the tree!!!:-) lol!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.