Cold weather Vs Warm weather causing Vasospasms

I notice that when I am exposed to cold air I have more vasospasms. Are there any of you in warm regions that are getting relief or experiencing less vasospasms?
Would moving to a warmer climate help?

23 replies. Join the discussion

I have noticed more spasms in the cold weather. The nurses at my cardiac rehab said that we (heart patients) should cover our mouth and nose with a scarf and that will make the air we breathe warmer. It makes a difference with me and if I go out without my scarf, my heart lets me know.

Yes I notice it is very tiring for the heart to be cold all the time and my extremities go numb and frozen. The heating is not working at my mums so I am huddling over electric heaters. I am flat hunting at the moment and have seen one I really like but it is so old fashioned (Victorian or Edwardian?) with not good heating. It is important for heart health to keep warm I think.

I live in Maine and experience more when I walk outside. I never put the two together. I was just putting it toward the exercise. I will try a scarf now, thank you!!

I find that extremes cause the angina. Cold especially but in the hot humid summer months I also feel it more also. I think a moderate climate is probably the best. The only place I've come across like that is St George UT & I think its a really expensive place to live. Its close to Arizona but up in altitude a bit. Low humidity in the warm months and a relatively nice winter. I dream as I sit in Buffalo, NY freezing my butt off waiting for spring. Groundhog said another 6 weeks. Of course, in WNY theres always 6 more weeks of winter, includeing last years summer months. Oh well... signing off from the land that global warming forgot...

Amy

hi, what exactly is a spasms? i just had my icd put in jan 12th 2010 this yr. i hate winter to begin with i love to look at the snow and when we were little it didn't bother us ran outside and played. but now i don't go out unless i really have to. can't wait till spring/summer. anyways what is a spasms??? i was told to cover my mouth/nose too but never felt what you are talking about yet is it bad.

Quick story - I live in mostly temperate California - yes, the cold affects me, BUT, the hot and humid didn't really remove the problem. I had an ER visit in Maui if you can believe that (nice hospital, too - after putting a nitro patch on me and giving me Xanax, doc walked me outside in my gown, and we hung out chatting about the situation - the VIEW was amazing - I almost thought he was going to offer me some Maui wowie-lol) but my visit was because I took niece and nephew - and nephew's anxiety was overwhelming. The emotions go "straight to my heart". I spent the rest of the trip on nitro and Xanax. The heat sometimes made it hard to breathe. Paradise didn't solve all of it, unfortunately, but I think people some people would respond differently.

Thank you for your replies. I was hoping that moving would cure me. Ha Ha Ha... Wishful thinking.

Covering my mouth and nose really does help outside in cold weather. I've been to movie theaters that have been so cold that I have to bundle up and even wear those warm heating patches. I find I have to keep my body really warm, if I keep the house temp. slightly lower (to save on fuel), I get cold. The kind of cold I can't get warm from, then the vaso's start and you all know the rest.

Thanks
CIndrueya

I live in Maine also, and I have had vasospasms in cold weather-I thought maybe I just had anxiety!!

Nancy, thanks for being so honest and opening up a dicussion about anxiety. I do suffer from anxiety but can feel a definate difference between the vaso's and anxiety. Most of my anxiety comes from profound IBS symptoms (and my almost adult children). <G> When I am having a severe vaso attack, before the sublingual nitro kicks in, I usually feel anxious and dread, because knowing what's coming in the next while is scary and painful. I know when my attack is beginning to come to an end, because I get these deep yawns and for some reason I always have a huge crying jag when a very severe attack is over. I don't know if it's from an emotional release, but it feels more like a neurological burst.
Does anyone else have these kinds of feelings?

MaryLG,
I'm going to have to pay more attention to the hot and humid weather and how I feel next summer. I remember last summer feeling awful much of the time. I was thinking about heat with out humidity, like Arizona.
I understand about your trip! Nitro and Xanax are also some of my best friends.
Cindrueya

I ran out of my 4 hour Xanax today as I'm going to cardie on Friday, so I took some of that anti-anxiety/anti-depressant med, Buspar, that I've had around...and I had the BEST DAY TODAY! Sleepy and kind of cross-eyed for the first couple of hours, but other than that - great, relaxed, normal. I even had my nephew and a friend tell me about their personal crises, and I was OK. Normal. :-)))))
Smallest dose is 5mg, so I took HALF! I am such a lightweight :-))) I think I'm going to keep going with this!
RE: the neurological burst? Well, I thought it was just because I had been through a very emotionally scary and depressing experience. We get the yawns because when we do, it brings oxygen into our system. The vessels open, the body relaxes a little and seeks the oxy. That would be my interpretation.

I can tell you that temperature extremes of any kind send my spasms into overdrive. I live near the coast of SE Texas right over the border from Louisiana. Our climate is considered "tropical" meaning unless you were born with gills, you can't breathe good here. While our weather is usually mild, this winter has been brutal. When temps get below 40, my spasms override my calcium channel blocker.

That said, temps in the summer can reach the 100 degree mark frequently in July and August and that extreme also renders my CCB less effective. When bad storms are coming and the barometric pressure drops sharply and suddenly, I have noticed an increase in spasms also. I have come to believe that my arteries must react the way bones and joints do sometimes. Arthritis has its triggers, many of which may be weather related and my Prinzmetal's seems to follow a similar pattern. That is just a personal observation.

Cold is definitely a trigger for me. It can be outdoors or in air conditioning so I pay attention to temperature changes. This has improved since I have been on the med regimen I am currently using.

I try not to let it limit me, just make adjustments as needed. Covering my mouth and nose with a scarf definitely works.

MaryLG, It's always great to find something new that works! Yea, for you and running out of Xanax. I believe the yawn is from the same place as you do. The crying thing still has me stumpted. I had a mild vaso this AM and took a nitroquik, yawn came, crying did not. Humph???
Gracie62 and Ann-Marie, I, like you am VERY sensitive to temp changes and weather fronts. I wish there was a place where it was an even temp year round and no humidity. I'm going to keep looking. The scarf works indoors as well as out. I just have to breath in a bit of cold air, like when I open to door to let the cat or dog out will trigger a vaso sometimes. My husband is the official door man for the animals now.
Cindrueya

hi, no one answered me yet on what a vasospasm is yet???? i want to know so i can watch for them and see if i ever got one or will?? thanks

Hello cc49,
Coronary artery spasm is a temporary, sudden narrowing of one of the coronary arteries (the arteries that supply blood to the heart). The spasm slows or stops blood flow through the artery and starves part of the heart of oxygen-rich blood.

Dee

cc49,

For me a heart vasospasm starts out with a slight tightning of my chest, it progresses to a wide rubberband around my entire back and chest area tightly squeezing. I usually get a deep coldness in my body and I can not warm up. I will get arm and shoulder pain down to my fingers which will get numb. One or both arms. I get a knot in my stomach with hurts and causes nausia. My jaw sometimes become tight and my throat closes and getting a full breath of air is difficult. I get severe neck and shoulder blade tightening while pins and needles run down my spine. Sometimes my legs are involved by becoming numb, most times not. WHen these attacks do happen, all I can do is use the breathing techniques I learned, don't panic and take my nitro's ASAP as needed. I know when my attack is winding down because I give out a yawn. At this point of winding down, I begin to warm up, also, when it's completely over I have this overwhelming urge to cry. I swear it feels like a strange neurological phenomon, because I don't feel sad, but my husband thinks it's from relief that I'm still alive and theremembering the pain I was just in causes the emotional reliese. Who knows!

I get vaso's also deep in my rectum, where the only relief is a very HOT bath and takes about 30 mins to get relief, if it's a full attack.

Go to your Dr. if you ever experience any these kind of feelings, does not have to be as bad as I described, since everyone's experience is difference and not all symptoms happen at the same time, everytime.

I hope this answered your question.

Cindyrueya

wow i can't believe what i just read and all the things invovled and you are alright. thank god for that and thanks so much for your answer. i just keep reading all the stories on here about different people and there hearts it's amazing and sad i never in my life knew there were so many out there with these heart problems till you read and this site is great. cheryl

I live in FL and have PMA. I'm not sure what my triggers are yet. I have had many tripe to ER too. Had cath that showed heart had no blockages but had a spasm during the cath . It was horrible. About a year ago got diagnoses of Prinzmetal's. It seems to come and go in clusters had spasms a few weeks ago. I have nitro . New cardio ( who I don't like) gave me rx for imdur . Haven't tried it yet as I get severe headaches from carotis artery problem and afraid it might trigger Migraines. Warmer climate does not seem to make difference since a lot of places are air conditioned. I'm not sure if cold triggers mine or not.

I am 44 years old and I was recently diagnosed with Prinzmetal. When I found this post, your response, I had to show it to my husband and others that have had to put up with me in the last few months. Everyone thought I was crazy or exaggerating my symptoms, maybe paranoid because of my surgery. It is amazing how you have described everything I have been describing was happening to me almost word for word. Right down to the crying and the attacks the rectum region. My husband could not believe I was not the one who wrote that... he was shocked. I had have emergency open heart surgery CABGx1 in 2007. Was told my LAD was 90% blocked. IN December 2009 I begin having all these symptoms all over again and my PCP and the cardiologist told me over and over there was nothing was wrong with my heart. EKGs were fine, enzymes etc. They ordered a CATH and low and behold I had a spasm in the bypassed artery. The spasm was caused BY THE CATH. My graph is dried up and not being used, my natural artery is. I am now on the CCB and the daily Nitrate Isosorb along with my regular heart meds, Toprol and Asprin and Crestor. I have learned to breath though the episodes and relax so as to not make them worse. I can feel them coming on most of the time. The pains that occur in sync over the rest of my body are a sure sign that spasms are happening in other arteries. I have never had a MI, and I am as worried about to the damage it is doing to my kidneys, brain and other organs. I have almost passed out several times due to the lack of flow to my brain.. the Nitro headaches are nothing compared to the release of that artery and the gush of blood to my brain. If any of you smoke, stop. I smoked for 30 years, and have been smoke free for two weeks now and my symptoms are becoming less severe. I am sleeping through the night again. My episodes are mainly occurring from 6am thru noon now. My husband and I welcome the rest. I believe over time, these irregular heart arrhythmia will cause damage, (a thickening of the heart wall) but it kind of hard to argue with them that about what is happening when they can't catch them on the EKG. They even think I am a little over the top with the spasms in other parts of my body. I can't wait to show my cardiologist these post. Maybe if our doctors WOULD LISTEN TO US, and read AND research as much as we have, they'd know as much about the syndrome as we do. I have learned more by reading all of your post than my cardiologist or PCP explained.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.