Cardiac Ablation

I have been having a-fibs and a-flutter and am scheduled for a cardiac ablation on 4/15. Has anyone else had this procedure? Does this really cure the arrythmias?
I will be 70 in May and it is 6 years since I had open heart with 6 bypasses.
The days that I have a-flutter have been debilitating, leaving me exhausted, short of breath and light-headed. Is this normal?
PatDig

10 replies. Join the discussion

I haven't had ablation, but I know 2 people who have and it worked beautifully for them. I'm sorry you've had to go through so much, and I'll be praying for you on the 15th! I believe the symptoms you experience are "normal" for aflutter in that it can cause hypotension.

Will you come back and let us know how you're doing?
K

Hi Pat,
I have exactly the same thing. In fact, when I read what you wrote I was thinking "Did I put something up and forgot?"

I have the same thing and the exhaustion is undeniable. I take 2-5 hour "naps". I just went to my electrophysiologist yesterday. Ablation was suggested. I have spoken with many who have had ablation and it works. I have chosen not to do it, but this afternoon I felt it might not be such a bad idea.
I do not want to be in the hospital for anything, including outpatient. I know I will change my mind and probably soon.

Have you thought what you are going to do with all you new waking time?

Ellen

Hi everyone,
I had a heart ablation 8/06. I was experiencing tachycardia as well as flutters. The medicine I was on wasn't great for me so they suggested the ablation. It worked well. Since I had already had a MI I was afraid to have the procedure, but I am happy that I did. Good luck with it. Let us know how you are doing. Kareno

I was diagnosed with a-fib almost a year ago. I have been taking diltiazem. It has taken a while to adjust the meds to control the symptoms. My doctor told me that ablation would be done only if this med or anti-arrhythmia drugs don't work. Have any of you taken any anti-arrhythmia drugs? They have bad side effects and you must be hospitalized while they start you on it. Let us know how the procedure works for you. Go for it and good luck.

Hi
I had my second ablation two weeks ago. It was not bad at all, it took about 45 minutes and was painless. I also have a pacemaker, I have had that for about one year.
I was checked a few days ago and it looks like they got it. I tried the anti-arrhythmia drugs but they made me feel sick. The exhaustion from an arrhythmia made me feel like I took a sleeping pill. I have had arrhythmias that have left me unable to function for days.
I am praying that the ablation worked.

RobinMich

Oh my goodness! Thank you all for your replies. I guess I am getting a little nervous about this. I had heard that it could take from 4 to 8 hours and am glad to hear, Robin, that yours only took 45 min. I am encouraged from your responses that this will work. It would be wonderful not to be so exhausted all the time.
I have also taken drugs to slow down the heart but they have not helped and I have been on Coumadin for about a year. I hope maybe I can get off the Coumadin if this works. I will let you all know how I make out when this is over and I really do appreciate your prayers. Thank you!
Pat

Hi Pat,
Good Luck and please let us know what happens.
My thoughts and prayers are with you!

Robin

Hi Pat, today was your big day, how did it go? Please let us know how you're doing, you're being thought of and sent lots of hugs and prayers!
K

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Yesterday was a very strange day. To begin with, my ablation was cancelled until Tuesday of next week. I arrived at the hospital at the scheduled time (8:00am), was given a room, gown, etc., had blood work done, an IV inserted, an EKG done and repeated my medical history to at least 4 or 5 people. I understood that another woman was having an ablation ahead of me because my husband talked to her husband and daughter in the waiting room while I was being prepped.
I was calm and ready, waiting for them to come and get me. At about 12:30pm my doctor's assistant came in and told me there had been complications with the previous ablation and that the doctor would not be able to do my ablation that day and that I could go home. She proceeded to schedule me for next week.
I don't know what happened to the other woman and hope you will join me in praying for her. I pray she is okay! However, I don't know what to think. Today I have been depressed thinking this should be all over with but I still have to go thru it next week. I am not feeling so calm and ready! Please continue to pray for me. Thank you.
Pat

Pat:
Just wondering if you had the cardiac ablation and how everything went. It's been almost two weeks and we have not heard anything. Hope all went well. Been thinking about you.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.