Bruising after 2nd heart cath?

Hello everyone,
I just had my 2nd heart cath on Tuesday. The first one was about a month ago and they did this one to see if they should put a stent in or not. My blockage is in a very tricky place apparently. Well, this time, no stent again. They don't think it is necessary. My question though, to all of you, is how much bruising is normal? The first time, I had none. You can barely see where they went in (right leg). The 2nd time, it is my left leg and the bruising is all over, down part of my leg, the groin area is huge. I just want to know if this normal or not. The paperwork says report bruising if it goes down thigh, back, but wanted real life people to tell me what they have done. Thanks!

25 replies. Join the discussion

Did they put an angio seal in? Did you have a hematoma?
I had my cath done 10 days ago, and my angio seal popped the same night of my cath. I had a huge hematoma, extreme pain and had to call 911 and go back to hospital for the night.
They did a doppler and said I didn't have an aneurysm, but that I would have a huge bruise and pain for a few weeks. It's been 10 days and they were right. I have a huge bruise, swelling and still have pain going down my leg.
So that's been my experience. I am keeping an eye on it, because I don't have a lot of pain at the site area, but the pain in my leg is still at a 5-6 of 10, so I'm going to watch it.
Keep me posted on your progress and I'll do the same!

Thanks for answering. I do have an angio seal, don't know about a hematoma, maybe? I am so sorry that yours popped out and that you had to go back. It is somewhat reassuring to me that you have the bruising/pain as that makes me think mine is normal. I just had none the first time and this is so drastic, I was concernced. I will pray that yours will start healing and that your pain will go away!

Hey lvfrogs,

Sorry about the icky bruising. My 3rd cath left me with a painful, golf ball sized hematoma in the left groin insertion site. This was because the cardio had to try 3 different entry spots.....fighting to get through scar tissue formed from previous caths (they went into both L and R groin arteries during emergency angio a few years earlier. Scar tissue is interesting material..it protects but also causes problems for the docs.

There could be many reasons for your bruising...including being on Plavix, aspirin, any kind of blood thinner. The cath doc/nurses may have had to apply pressure there that was too intense. I seem to remember my swelling going down substantially after 5 days.

Good luck to you,
Jaynie

Ivfrogs,
As a nurse I have seen some pretty nasty bruising following a cath. Everyone is different, especially if you take any blood thinners. If the site becomes hard, painful and feels "tight" make sure your doc sees it. Also if the bruising seems to travel down your leg like you said or around to your back or hip. Good Luck! Be thankful you needed no interventions.

Jaynie,
As always, your answers are so helpful. Thanks for reminding me about being on Plavix. I started that 5 days before, so maybe that contributed. I wasn't on it the first time, plus it looks like they tried several places to go in.
and Winglover,
I am thankful that I didn't need the stent!! I read somewhere that you should mark the bruising with a pen to see if it spreads. I should have done that on Wed, because it has definitely spread since then, but didn't read that until today. I marked it now though so will keep an eye on it.
Thank you!

All of the replies are helpful but I would encourage you to have your doctor or a nurse look at your bruising. I think it would give you piece of mind to know for sure if it's normal brusing or not.

They told me no 2 people are the same. I had a hematoma and it is 9 days later. I had to go back to the hospital for some other complications and the nurses told me it was some of the worse bruising they have ever seen. The doctor told me that sometimes it gets worse before better. However, I too would have a doctor or nurse check it out. Advice from others is great, but it is just an extra re-assurance if you know what you are experiencing is normal.

When they went into my right leg for a heart carth, and then also for a stent to be put into my aorta, and right kidney, it left me with busing so bad it took months to heal... mine was do to the bleeding that they couldn't get stopped, I believe they used too big of a needle and my veins are not big... I tried to tell them after the second stent... it always causing an over night stay in ICU... not fun... if I have to another test of any kind and they go into the groin... I will make them understand.. also I had a seal and I am on asprin.
I hope all is well with you now... and you will need no more caths...
Pam

After my last cath (7th one), I had bruising part way up and all the way down to my knee. The entire front of my thigh was bruised. It just kept growing for about 4 days. I also had a hematoma. Like Jaynie, they tried and tried to do it on the right side and ended up going through the left. It started healing after about a week.

I still have swelling above my groin site, some pain at the site, it it definitely better, but still there. My bruising goes all the way down almost to my knee. I have a couple knots and pellet like things at groin site, assuming the pellet thing is the broken collagen seal. I'm watching that area, but the worst part now is my upper inner thigh. I had blood pool into there and it is super sore. If it doesn't get better in a few days I'll have to go to my PC. And unfortunately I tend to scar up easily, so I may have this forever. I had my procedure done 5 hrs away from my home and I don't see my cardio until June 22.
I'm not taking any blood thinners or heart meds. I, too am glad that this is not unique and will just keep it monitored.

Pam52, I am sorry for all that you have been through. You should have that in your charts and they need to be aware of that. I hope you are doing better now.
Wendylee, wow, 7 caths. I can't imagine. How are you now? I hope that you are doing good. Let me know, ok?
and Katie, I am still so sore too and have a huge spot where the blood pooled (I guess) above my groin area. Kind of a funny spot. and I am sore where there is no bruising. Go figure. I am glad that you do not have to take heart meds or blood thinners. Something to be thankful for.
I am on Verapamil and Plavix.
Thanks to all the answers on here, it is such a blessing to talk to women who have gone through it already and can give you good advice.
and to the women who suggested I see my doctor. I agree. If by Tuesday, it is not better or has gotten worse, I promise I will call. Thank you!!!

Hi frogs = ) When I had the stent put in, there was very little bruising at the injection site but since I've been on Plavix, I bruise really easily. Were you on blood thinners before the angioplasty? If so, it might have caused more bruising than before. Just a thought.

I was on Plavix this time around so I am assuming that contributed to the bruising. It is finally clearing up and I see the doctor Wednesday for my follow-up! Finally starting to feel a little better. I hope you are too.
Colleen

I had a cath 7 days ago. I have had 6 heart caths since 2005. I've never had problems recuping from the groin pain until this time. In your response you mentioned if it feels tight see your doc. Well that is exactly how I feel, tight and sore, slightly hard. I know they had to deal with alot of scartissue. Should I be concerned. They also used a plug this time. I'm pretty concerned, should I be? Thanks for any help. I'm new to this forum so any help is appreciated.

Hello kentsdeb,
I would definitely call your doctor and see what he/she says. This was my 2nd heart cath, I have had a plug each time. The first time, you couldn't even tell where they went in, so small, no bruising. The 2nd time, sore, tender, bruising. I still have bruises and that was 1 month ago. However, when I went for my follow up and told him about the groin pain, he said to give it two weeks, if it wasn't better that he would do a CT scan. That is scheduled for next week.
The nurses at the cath lab told me that sometimes when they go in the left leg, there is considerably more bruising/tenderness. Had something to do with the arteries winding around. If you have had 6 previous heart caths, I would imagine that there is scar tissue buildup. But I think if you are concerned, call your doctor and make an appointment. It certainly can't hurt.
If it would make you feel better to get more responses, post your same questions on a new post so that some of the regulars on here will see it. I am new to this also, just diagnosed in April.
Hope this helps,
Colleen

I had horrid bruising on the first cath and was not on Plavix. Went down almost to my right knee. I looked like raw meat. Took about a month for it to disappear.
2nd cath, on Plavix, was better. Third cath (still on Plavix) was better yet. 4th Cath, still on Plavix was just like the 1st. cath. Terrible brusing for a month. Just never know.

Annie7,
You are a good example of how each one can be so different! Thanks for responding and I am sorry though that you have had to have 4 heart caths. It has been one month since my 2nd one and the bruising is still there but not as bad! Thank you!

This is a link to a similar discussion, I use Arnica, it helps to break down the bruises.

http://www.inspire.com/groups/womenheart/discussion/exceptional-large-hemat omas-with-plavix/

Lidia xx

Thank you Lidia, I read the posts from the link. Very helpful to know. I wonder does it work on scars too?
Just curious. I will have to get some.
You all are the best women, so helpful.
Colleen

;-) Now for scars, bio-oil, pure simple and verrrry good! As you can probably tell, I am a fan of natural remedies, this oil is cheap and does a good job of minimising scars, I had a nasty one on my leg from falling off a wall (I was 52!) and it has 'softened' it so it is much less noticeable.
http://www.bio-oil.com/en/uses.html
Lidia xx

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.