Blood Pressure that goes up and down

I am having a problem that I wonder if anyone else is experiencing. I am a 62 yr. old woman, in fairly good health, and I eat extremely well....no fried foods, low sugar intake, antioxidants by the pounds, etc.
Up until about two months ago, my blood pressure has been perfect, somewhere around 117/74. Here lately, my bp has been creeping up on me. My doctor wants me to take a bp reading each morning and each evening for two weeks.
Last night I had a terrible scare. I took my blood pressure, and it was 139/84. That scared me, so I waited a while and kept taking it about every 30 min. Each time I read it the bp number went up and up until it reached 160/98..This is highly unusual for me, although I do suffer from panic disorder, and have since I was a child.
This morning I took my bp again, and it went down some, but not much. Just then, and I know this sounds supid, but I had a rather large bowel movement, went back in and had it taken again and it was 120/80. I just can't figure out what would make it go dangerously high and than back down.
About three years ago I had a complete heart workout and they chalked everything up to panic disorder or a slight electrical problem in my heart.
Please let me know if there is ANYONE out there who has had this experience, and what should I do about it, other than letting my doctor know. My doctor is so busy, it would probably take a week to even get the message to her.
Thank you for any help you can give me

11 replies. Join the discussion

Everyone's blood pressure fluctuates all day every day, every little thing you do changes it, sitting standing, drinking walking (and panicking!) I was told that my resting BP was what was wanted.

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/common/heartdisease/treatment/ 128.html

What do I need to do before I measure my blood pressure?
•Don't eat or use caffeine, alcohol, or tobacco products 30 minutes before measuring your blood pressure.
•Go to the bathroom and empty your bladder before measuring your blood pressure.
•Rest for 3 to 5 minutes before measuring your blood pressure. Do not talk.
•Sit in a comfortable position, with your legs and ankles uncrossed and your back supported.
•Place your left arm, raised to the level of your heart, on a table or a desk, and sit still.
Lidia xx

Thank you so much Lidia, for the info. My daughter called me a few minutes ago, and she works in the medical field. I told her that my doctor gave me a prescription for a steroid nose spray, and she feels that the nose spray is what is causing the elevated blood pressure. I hope she is right because it does make me panic something awful. Have any of you experienced elevated bp after taking some kind of a steroid.

Lidia, thanks so much for the tips.
I am usually talking when i take my BP, I will take it right after I eat, etc. No wonder is it high!

Carolee, yes those sprays can cause high blood pressure.

Bre

Brebre, how high is yours?

Oh my blood pressure is dangerously high.
In fact my CHF and Cardiomyapthy is related to high blood pressure.
Without meds my BP runs 220/118, it still will sometime spike to 160/90. I have metabolic syndrome.
I have lost almost 100lbs and it did absolutely nothing for my BP. I am still on 4 BP meds.
I have had kidney studies and thyroid studies and they were normal.

I was reading on another high blood pressure board that sleep apnea is resistant to high blood pressure meds. I asked my husband if I snore and he said yes. I will ask for a sleep study. Maybe I am on to something. I dont add salt to my food, I try ands eat very healthy. I stopped all of my supplements to see if there was a problem. I still get spikes. I have tried everything. I tried the garlic, i tried the raw diet, I tried magnesium, I tried exercising, etc
My doc just wants to add more and more pills. I don't agree. I can hardly function with the four pills I take.

Bre

Bre: I have never had a blood pressure problem in my life. In fact, it has always been too low, but I do have a snoring problem. The doctor said my throat is raw from snoring and coughing at night. I have never smoked, but have a lot of allergies.
She prescribed steroids in the form of a nasal spray, and my bp spiked to 160/90 last night. Right now it is normal, but I am so afraid it is going to spike up again. My mother died from a stroke at the age of 83, and it runs in my family. You take care, sweetie..and thank you for helping me.

Hello - you may have never had high blood pressure before now, but you are at the right age now to develop it. The National Institute of Health says:

"Those who do not have high blood pressure at age 55 face a 90% chance of developing it during their lifetimes. High blood pressure is a condition that most people have at some point in their lives."

You need to become a world expert on this topic now. KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, particularly with your sleep and panic concerns as well. Your doc may prescribe meds to keep your BP well controlled. Stress can also affect your BP, so instead of reacting by being "afraid"of spiking again, please look into some stress-reduction exercises that will both lower your BP and help you feel more relaxed at the same time.

Your mother's stroke history at age 83 would NOT be considered a risk factor for you; cardiovascular family history affects you only if your mum or sisters had an event before age 65, or if your dad or brother had one before age 55.

More good info on high blood pressure at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/hbp/whathbp.htm

Good luck!

XOXO

http://www.myheartsisters.org

Wow, Kennarina:
You gave me some very valuable tips about my blood pressure. Thank you so much. I also have very bad spinal problems, which adds a lot of pain to my life, leading to stress and high blood pressure.
I am going to read up on it now that I am into that age. Time really flies by, and you are in your 60's before you know it....Thanks so much again.

BP can vary greatly & your head can make a major difference. I just did a treadmill stress test. As soon as I stepped on the treadmill my BP shot up to 200 over something. My BP is NEVER higher than 140/90 (& that is high for me) NEVER!!! The whole time I was on the treadmill my BP was way high. Fortunately I document my BP several times a day so I could show my doc my actual readings. Even my "normal"readings are skewed now. I believe because I had an MI & now i am completely paranoid. Relax, relax before you check your BP at home. If you get some good readings, let that influence your head rather than the bad ones. My doctor always told me that you can't fake good BP, but obviously your BP can elevate because of all kinds of other stuff around you & in your head.

I just thought of something that happened during my 4 months in Cardiac Rehab after my heart attack: When we first arrived at the class, we'd each have to check in with the cardiac nurse to get our pulse and blood pressure recorded before starting. I used to walk to Rehab (sort of like my warm-up exercise) and I would inevitably come flying in the door, nicely huffing and puffing and sweaty, plunk myself in the chair across from the nurse for my BP readings - which were always sky high! So finally the nurse told me from now on, when I arrive, I had to first sit quietly (NO TALKING!) outside in the hallway for five minutes at least, take nice big deep breaths, and "think calm happy thoughts" before taking my BP. She sometimes would take it three or four times in a row, until I'd get so bored my numbers started going down to normal!! :-)

XOXO

http://www.myheartsisters.og

Girls: I think I found out was was causing my high blood pressure. My doctor put me on steroid nose spray, and it really helped my snoring and post nasal drip, however, I figured out that it was making my bp go ski high. I didn't take any for two nights, and my blood pressure was 106/69. If any of you are on steroids, please consider this part of your reason for high readings. I hope this helps.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.