aspirin....at night.

I take a regular coated aspirin shortly before bedtime about 1/2 hour prior to my slow release niacin tablet and statin (supposed to help with flushing from Niacin). Something I learned here...\

I came across this and thought it might be worth sharing....another reason to do a night time dose.

Aspirin before bed
If aspirin is part of your daily medication routine, taking it before bedtime might improve your blood pressure even as it does its main job — working against heart attack and stroke.

In a small Spanish study, taking low-dose aspirin at night lowered daytime systolic blood pressure (the top number of a blood pressure reading) by 7 points and diastolic pressure (the bottom number) by 5 points among people with newly diagnosed mild high blood pressure. That's as much as occurs with exercise or limiting salt. Taking aspirin in the morning increased both systolic and diastolic blood pressure by about 2 points.

Other studies have shown that nighttime aspirin may also be easier on the stomach than aspirin taken in the morning.

If you don't take aspirin, this one study shouldn't prompt you to start, especially not as a way to lower your blood pressure. But if you already take aspirin, it may be worth switching to a nighttime dose.

Medical content reviewed by the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School. Harvard Health Publications, Copyright © 2007 by President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved. Used with permission of StayWell.
This information is not intended to replace the advice of a doctor.

10 replies. Join the discussion

Thanks so much for the information! I take one baby aspirin or sometimes one regular aspirin once a day, and I had been taking it in the A.M. with my heart pills,
but after reading this, I think I will switch to taking it at night before bedtime. When I was discharged from the hospital last month, no one ever told me the best time to take any of the meds they put me on - I've learned way more about that from reading the posts on this forum! It would not have occured to me to take my lisinopril at bedtime along with my Coreg, instead of in the morning with my first Coreg dose, for instance. Most of my meds I only take once a day, so I may as well take some of them at night if they cause drowsiness or severely lower heart rate and bp.

Wow, I missed it before about taking aspirin at night. I think I will switch as well. In the hospital, they gave me the aspirin in the morning, so I just continued. It might be nice to only take 7 pills in the morning and 4 at night.

I take a regular 325 Ecotrin or generic when I wake with 3 other pills. That's when they gave it to me in the hospital and I continued with their aspirin regimen to a T. However, I take the other 6-7 at night.

I had my attack in the afternoon, although it was until the next morning that I went to the hospital. (I know, not smart, but I learned)

Thank you for the information. It would not occur to me that the time of day would make any difference.
Joyce

Thanks for the info. This site is so helpful. I learn something everytime I log on. I will start taking mine at night too. It helps to break up taking all the different meds!
Colleen

I have both my husband and myself on the nightly aspirin after something I read a few years ago, but I can't remember where, about the aspirin being more beneficial and causing fewer problems when taken at night.

I changed to take aspirin at night due to gastric reflux and suspected that if I had more food on my stomach that the aspirin would be less harsh. I also read somewhere (can't think where) that stroke and MI are more common in the morning so my bizarre logic was that taking it at night would 'cover' me until morning. I can certainly say that the gastric situation has improved, not sure about the other!

I take my aspirin at night cause I hated so much bruising from the Plavix I take every morning.

Has anyone run across taking regular vs. baby aspirin? Prior to my mom's MI her PCP was hesitant to recommend one over the other but they put her on baby aspirin when she was hospitalized and she has continued that going forward.

We were told the baby aspirin provides the same protection and it is less harsh on the stomach.

I was just wondering if others have heard anyting about this.

KK

My cardio doc (one I was assigned in the hospital who put emergency stents in) sent me home with instructions to graduate from the baby aspirin I'd taken to a regular aspirin strength daily because of the large clot I developed with my MI. My local cardio agrees.....and continue along with plavix until further notice. I was told by local cardio, two days without plavix and aspirin I would have another clot another MI.....so really important I take'em.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.