Allergy to dye used in heart cath

On Jan.16th I had my 3rd heart cath with no problems..in fact I watched the entire procedure. Next morning developed a slight itch all over and by the following day my body was totally covered with an intense red rash...very similiar to a major sunburn in that it covered every inch....extremely itchy etc. Called the dr and took benedryl but it only helped slightly......wondering if anyone else has had such a reaction? It's Feb.11 and I'm still having problems with this rash....my skin now is peeling as if I did have a sunburn....still very itchy....how long is this going to last? Dr.just keeps saying that it will take time to get out of the body. Strange though is that I have had this test previously with no known reaction....wondering if the dye has changed? They tried me on prednisone but that caused the heart to go into congestive heart failure....seems like one thing leads to another....now on oxygen until my heart can get stronger....all this because of a IVP dye I didn't know was allergic to....so fair warning.....it can happen. Anyone ever hear this...I read in two places that it's possible those on a beta blocker could have a reaction.......that's a new one to me...........

23 replies. Join the discussion

Sounds miserable! Have they told you to drink lots of water? I was told the more you drink the faster you'll flush the dye out of your system. Feel better soon!

I too was allergic to the dye. My reactiohn was an itchy rash too but I don't remember it lasting long or peeling like yours.

Yes I"m drinking plenty of water....all I know is they say "severe reaction" to the dye but at this point wondering if I need to see a dermatologist or just how long I should wait for it to get out of the system.........I believe it has to be out of the system by now but the rash is just hanging on.........really the bright red rash is gone but left with skin that is very itchy and the peeling along with areas of hive live bumps still exists....then in some areas the skin is like dried up parchment paper so keeping that well lotioned up..............

I developed an allergic reaction the second time I had been exposed to the dye. That's usually how allergies present. Mine appeared on my right arm where the medicine was administered. They gave me benedryl and the rash and swelling went away in an hour or so. My first cath was July 9th when my dissection was found...no allergic reaction. On Thanksgiving, I went into the ER with chest pains, clammy hands, headache and wasn't feeling well. So they did a scan which uses the same dye and that's when my reaction happened. (Turns out I was dehydrated). I was only taking Plavix and aspirin...no beta blocker. My eldest son has 3 life threatening food allergies. All 3 didn't present right away. The body needs to be exposed to the source and then the following exposure is usually when the reaction takes place.

I would consult with an allergist as your reaction seems very severe. Sorry to hear the prednisone caused such problems. Hope you are doing better.
Karen

Have you gone to an allergist? or dermatologists.

You can become allergic to things at any point through life. As noted above though...it's usually not the first exposure - maybe not even the second. Your body sets itself up after initial exposures - which maybe 1 time maybe 10. (I understand how the body reacts and develops an allergy but cannot explain it) My father-in-law became allergic to bee stings when he was in his 50's...had never had the slightest problem with stings before then - and he was a part-time farmer so was stung many times over the years.
My family has a history of IVP dye allergies so when I had my cardiac cath they put benedryl in the IV and kept me on it for the next 24 hours to preclude a reaction. This is basically the same dye used for other types of images so be sure that it is in your charts and on your bracelet or necklace.
Good luck...hoping the rash quits itching and heals soon!

I am allergic to it also and they gave me benedryl and lots of fluids. It does get better.

The same allergic reaction my mom had because the dye contains iodine so she can not have any procedure done with the dye.

Can anyone who has had a reaction give me some idea on long this lasts? I had the procedure down on Jan.16th and while the rash is mostly gone I still have some areas where it is visible.....skin is peeling on my palms of my hands.........skin is super itchy....and feels like it could peel off if I tried.....extremely weird....I've had reactions previously with other drugs but it was strictly a itchy rash......this is if I had a bad burn...............

Have you tried drinking small amounts of a high quality Aloe Vera juice from the inner fillet, (avoid 'whole leaf'aloe vera juice) throughout the day?

Also you could use aloe gel on your skin. test one area if you like first.

Personally I wear a dog tag alerting professionals that I go into anaphylactic shock with the dye, and learned the hard way that I need IV fluids pre and post cath (up to 24hours post cath to flush out the iodine) along with the steroids etc,

I grew up with allergies and learned of the aloe plant both drinking, sipping it to help with systemic issues as well as on the skin, I don' know if it will help you but thought it worth offering
'

Thanks for reminding me of the aloe vera plant.....used to keep one in the bathroom years ago and used it all the time whenever I needed something for the skin....I had much luck with healing of cuts and other skin issues. Will definitely try to get some aloe vera gel.......I have lotion that has some aloe vera in it but think I need the "real gel" type.....I used to cut off a small piece of the plant and use it directly on my skin and it worked wonders........

My two older sisters are both allergic to the dye used in this procedure. They had to be medicated prior for 24-48 hours. The arteriograolpm showed no blockage. One was told she had prinzmetal angina and would be on diltiazem the rest of her life. The other sister was never diagnosed with anything at the time. Told it was probably a spasm that caused her problem. I on the other hand was not allegic to the dye. I was told I was having a heart attack. They did the arteriogram and said I had a mild heart attach but no blockages. They kept me overnight. I suffered sudden cardiac death about 2 hours later and then again 4 hours later. I was in intensive care for 17 days. Final diagnosis was coronary artery spasms. It was a miracle I survived. I wish I had an allergy to the dye. By the time I was medicated, the arteries may have relaxed and I may not have suffered all the complications.

Doris

Hi Doris (Miracle)

Do you think you may be allergic too?

Sorry to hear you went through that. I am an allergic person and I was scared before this test with the dye. I called the hospital and found out that there was one dye that caused more problems then the other, so I opted for the least allergenic one. I was told to take two Benadryl before the procedure. That was my first time, so far, hopefully only time, but I had no reaction.
I agree that drinking lots of water is very helpful and I would also take higher doses of Vitamin C as it helps with allergic reactions, and won't hurt you.

My cardio always gives me a huge container of saline solution before during and after every heart cath to wash away the dye as quickly as possible. As to being allergic, it's the contrary with me, the dye seems to stop my coronary spasms instantly magically and wonderfully. Although that didn't happen after my last cath a couple of weeks ago.

wonderful! I so rather use Mother Nature's solutions as often as possible! I learned that the inner fillet of the Aloe is the best for healing. As a visiting nurse I remember years ago when aloe came out for wound healing, it was amazing! I am so glad it is so easily available to us all. Best wishes in healing completely from the exposure to the dye!

No I wasn't allergic. My artery was already in spasm. The arteriogram agrivated the arteries more which
caused sudden death. There is a test they do to induce spasms for those doctors that have to see the spasm. I did some reading on this test and from what I read, many doctors don't reccomend this test because the mortality rate is too high. I have a framed sign sitting on my window sill in the kitchen that says "Every day is a gift from God." I believe that.

I did the red rash, allergic thing with the heart catheterization but I was still on the table. I must have made some kind of muted scream and they stopped immediately. The bright red rash started on the ends of my fingers and toes and spread everywhere. This happened in 1998 and i don't remember how long it took to go away, but i do know that i remain allergic to all fish and use non-iodized salt to this day. I live in Colorado and fish / seafood has never been abundant or readily available so i had no idea of the fish allergy. There is a non - iodine contrast that can be used with NO reactions. If only some of these other glitches could be solved so easily.

Hopefully your recovery is soon. Itching everywhere is certainly no fun. Bobbie

I never gave any consideration to the fact that I may now be allergic to iodized salt..is that possible?...no one has ever mentioned that to me. While I don't use much salt anyway I do on occasion use it at the table for some of my very bland foods....hmmm wonder if this could have anything to do with the fact it has been a month and I am still scratching like crazy........the rash itself seems very faded compared to the brightness I once had.................hands are peeling.......but I'm at that point of enough is enough already.......

Seems like it could be a definite possibility. Would be worth omitting to see. A box of non iodized salt for less than a dollar is cure worth a try. It could be the reason this itching rash thing is hanging on and on and on. Bobbie

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support WomenHeart

Help WomenHeart reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  WomenHeart

Discussion topics

Heart health links and resources

The SCAD Ladies Stand Up -- Read the special report

Community leaders

Disclaimer

The information provided by this online support network through WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease and Inspire is for general informational purposes only. The information is not intended to substitute for professional medical advice, diagnoses, or treatment. If you are ill, or suspect that you are ill, see a doctor immediately. In an emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room. WomenHeart: The National Coalition for Women with Heart Disease never recommends or endorses any specific physicians, products or treatments for any condition.