vhl

I along with 8 others in my family have vhl , my sister is the only one who has not the gene, what im asking is , cause she has a child , would the child need to be tested for vhl ,

4 replies. Join the discussion

No, VHL is not passed on unless you have the gene.
For example, I am the only one out of my 4 brothers and sisters that have the vhl gene. So my brothers and sister's kids will not get the vhl gene from them because they don't have it. It would be pretty wierd for the child to have another type of vhl (spontanious/mosiac).
Tina

I HAVE BEEN GOING TO NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF HEALTH FOR TESTING FOR THE LAST ELEVEN YEARS NOW FOR VHL . I MET A KID THAT NEITHER ONE OF HIS PARENTS HAD THE VHL GENE BUT SOME HOW IT WAS PASSED ON TO HIM . SO IT DOESN'T MEAN THE CHILD CAN'T GET IT. IF YOUR CONCERNED I WOULD SAY GET YOUR CHILD TESTED TO PUT YOUR MIND AT EASE .

I am a spontanious mutation. Neither of my parents have VHL or anyone in our family as far as we can trace. It doesn't mean that you can't "get it" it is somthing that just happens. Theoreticly, your sisters child would not have the gene. If she was concerned I would have the genetic test done for peace of mind.

I am also the first in my family to have the vhl gene and quit severe. My brothers and sister do not have the gene but just my two older brothers were tested Since my parents blood test came back negative I am a mosiac mutation But my paternal gradmother and her family suffer APKD a kidney disease as well as my father but he is an only child Do you think there is a connection with vhl and the disease that my grandmother and father has ?

Thanks

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support the VHL Alliance

Help the VHL Alliance reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to the VHL Alliance

Discussion topics

From the VHL Alliance

Community leaders