Omega-3 Fish Oil Danger

Looks like another doctor recommended supplement is not good for us.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2359466/Taking-omega-3-fish-oil-s upplements-increase-risk-aggressive-prostate-cancer-70.html

Edited July 11, 2013 at 6:44 am

52 replies. Join the discussion

What's really going on here????????????????????????

All fish oil supplements contain Vitamin E as a preservative. As we know, Vitamin E is linked to an increase in the more aggressive forms of prostate cancer. Because of that revelation last year I switched to krill oil which does not require Vitamin E (tocopherol) as a preservative. Too late for me, however, since my post-RP Gleason was 9. I'd been taking fish oil for years at the urging of my cardiologist. Perhaps I was in double jeopardy with the fish oil AND the Vitamin E.

Maybe the best solution is to avoid supplements altogether??????

Well, one less supplement that I have to buy from now on.

Perhaps if we don't eat or drink anything, and don't breathe the air, and don't go in the sun, we'll live forever........

Just thought I'd try to inject a little humor.

CERICWIN

I'm beginning to wonder if there is anything at all on this planet that DOESN'T cause cancer.

CERICWIN

Thanks for the tip. I am definitely, not for imported food or supplements from other countries including China.
I never have taken fish oil supplements but have always eaten plenty of fish since the 50's as I was born in New England and my mothers best friends husband was a lobster fisherman.
Three months ago I stopped all red meats and have increased all veg's and fruits. We now use only organic dairy products as well but I have cut the use of dairy products in half. All the hormones and additives are most likely what is causing our problems.
My father in law is still alive a 90 but has always eaten food grown on the farm when he was in his formative years, which I now believe is the reason he has lived so long without prostate issues.
I guess the thing with fish oil is like with so many consumable products there are many doctors who represent corporations that will say anything to make a buck or keep the competition from making that same buck.
D

It s established that Omega-3 supplements provide added risk to get prostate cancer, nevermind whichever country those re imported. Research does not discriminate, stupid men do.
Supplements and tablets are never the same as natural products because of the processing and other factors. We should eat lots of fish, maybe concentrated omega-3 is bad.

I too have switched to Krill Oil from Dr Mercola's site, but for many years was on prescription heavy duty Fish oil, Lovaza, to help with the cholesterol and triglycerides.

Though testosterone does not cause prostate cancer but does allow existing cancer to be fed, I doubt the underarm Axiron helped either.

Oh well, It is what it is. Forward.

Probably just a couple of the many contributors to my Gleason 9 (4+5) diagnosed earlier this year.

This is all so interesting. I have two apples in my refrigerator that have been there for six months, they look as good today as they did the day i put them in there. I'm just leaving them there to see how long it will be before they rot. I'm beginning to believe they may well outlast me. Oprah said never eat food that doesn't spoil, but how does one tell what those foods are.....

Great, we can all use a little extra humor

OK, that's it. My krill oil just went into the trash. I'll just eat some of that fine Scottish salmon more often and call it a day. At age 65 I really don't care that much, anyway, about supplementation anymore. Just give me some good, healthy food and some fine wine to go with it. If I can reach 80 I will be happy.

@ gleeless - - please keep us posted on the status of your apples. Funny stuff. Those must be GMO apples, for sure.

According to Medline Plus it's not only fish oil supplements that are tied to aggressive pc but oily fish, salmon,tuna and trout and walnuts, tofu and pumpkin seeds. I eat these fish almost every night and avoid eating red meat which is another no-no. I also eat brown rice and recently discovered that there's a danger of arsenic.
I jog every morning. I wonder if the next news flash will be....

Question: If we have had our prostate removed can we now eat omega-3 fish oil supplements without fear.

@ CanadaBill: I have the same question, Bill, and have asked my docs to give me their thoughts on your question. I had RP but I now have biochemical recurrence so, in essence, I still have PCa. I am 65 and my Gleason was 9 so it probably does not make any difference whether or not I take an Omega 3 - - my nomogram numbers do not predict a long life, in any case.

"All fish oil supplements contain Vitamin E as a preservative" who told you this? Where did you get this information?

Well, I'm 66, should not have lived thru my Vietnam tour or flying helicopters for another 20 years. I've always exercised, am the correct weight, always have eaten healthy foods & very little meat of any kind, taken vitamin supplements & still have cancer. I love red wine, champagne & an occasional margarita so WTF I'm not going to live forever & as somebody said no matter what you eat it's going to kill you! So I'm going to motor on with life's philosophy of 'All things in moderation including moderation.' im going to try toenjoy my life & the people i love to the max with the time i have. Best of luck to all of you!

I also had my prostate removed, but still have cancer. I have been eating walnuts and pumpkin seeds for years, and have recently added coconut oil for my heart. Now I don't know if any of these are bad for me!!

Correction ----
I have been taking 2,000 mg. of Fish Oil /day ---not 2,000 t0 4,000 IU's/day as I
stated previously -------but no matter , I've been doing a bad thing thinking I
was doing something good for myself .

JW3

@ ChicagoAttorney: you asked who told me that all fish oils contain Vitamin E.

Just read the labels. I've been to Whole Foods, Sprouts, Vitamin Cottage, Sunflower Market, King Soopers, Safeway, Albertsons, etc. and I have not found one fish oil product that does not contain Vitamin E. The Vitamin E is either called out specifically on the label or it is also called "tocopherol" which is a euphemism for Vitamin E. After the study results about Vitamin E and prostate cancer came out in 2012 my urologist told me, and I quote, "Avoid Vitamin E like the plague."

If someone finds a fish oil without Vitamin E I would like to know about it. Vitamin E is used as a preservative in fish oil.

As an aside, Dr. Oz recommends using algal oil instead of fish oil since algal oil is plant based and a more bioavailable form of Omega 3 but..............all the algal oil products I've found so far contain Vitamin E as a preservative, too.

I do not know where the original poster got their information, but look on the label for your fish oil. Mine says under the "other ingredients" that it includes "natural tocopherols." I conjecture that since there is no specific listing for the amount or type of tocopherol (aka Vitamin E) that it is less than (what used to be) the "recommended daily value" of 30 IU.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Us TOO International

Help Us TOO International Prostate Cancer Education & Support Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Us TOO International Prostate Cancer Education & Support Network

Discussion topics

Us TOO Education Tools & Resources

Get Involved with Us TOO

Community leaders