Burning Sensation While Urinating After Brachytherapy

I just had brachytherapy surgery this morning. Everything seems to be fine except the extreme burning (like razor blades) when I urinate. I hope this goes away soon or at least lessens. I also have a bruising (discoloration) on the lower bottom of the head of my penis. I will call my urologist tomorrow and tell him. Reading past comments, I understand that the "burning razor blades" is not that uncommon with some after brachytherapy surgery. I also had blood in my urine but that seems to be dissipating now. My biggest concern was a sore scrotum from all those needles but I feel nothing in that area. At least I'm lucky there. Has anyone else experienced this extreme burning like razor blades sensation while urinating after their brachytherapy surgery?

59 replies. Join the discussion

I experienced the same burning sensation, but it dissipated quickly. The blood in the urine is normal for a few weeks. I am nine months past the procdedure. Just keeping an eye on the PSA now. I have no issues. Everything is normal. The only difference is a dry ejaculation during sex.

irish mac where did you have your procedure done? was your prostate cancer advanced like gleason 9 wondering if i can have it done. i am close to duke

My gleason score was 7. I had it done at the Chicago Prostate Center. They were excellent. I had the procedure done on a Monday and I was back to work the following morning.

I had brachytherapy on Wednesday, November 30. 2011, so it has been 17 months for me. I too was active the day after surgery, but took two days off work anyway - then the weekend, then back to work.

Ah, the memories your post brought back. Yes, the first three or four urination attempts following brachytherapy were like pissing red-hot barbed wire and razor blades. Then, over the next few days, the difficulty went away. (Thank God for Flomax.) But, new symptoms came into play. These symptoms (side effects) were not life-changing events. They just needed "small adjustments" to accommodate them.

Fatigue - a pain, but easily managed by going to bed earlier and pacing myself during physical activity. I still need more sleep.

Bowel Bother - developed radiation proctitis and get low volume mucous-like discharges that I do not feel. A paper towel inside the underwear sops this up. Some days are better than others. It peaked at about 12 months and is now slowly getting better.

Bowel Bother - after a few months I learned to always sit when going to the bathroom as I would get unexpected bowel ovements when I urinated. This is going away, but occasionally reoccurs.

Bowel Bother - loose stool for the first six months. Occasional, but fortunately infrequent diarrhea. (Some of this could have also been a bug.)

ED - Slight loss of erectile function but no need for the pills yet. Ejaculate was discolored for a month then like IrishMac, my ejaculate went dry. (The funny thing is that orgasm is now more intense than before - No complaints there!)

My "numbers": I was diagnosed in July 2011 at age 57 with a PSA of 8.6 and a Positive Digital Rectal Exam with a palpable hard ridge on the right side of the gland. PSA at the time of surgery = 9.6 with 6 of 12 cores positive with 2 on the left (5% involvement) and 4 on the right (20% involvement) and Gleason 3 + 3 on all positive cores. PSA 30 days after brachy = 4.7 - at 4 months = 1.4 - at 7 months 1.0 - at 10 months 0.8 - at 12 months 0.7 and the next test is in 1 month.

No two men and no two cancers are the same. Likewise, no two treatment outcomes or treatment side-effects are the same. I am reporting what happened with me. Your mileage may vary in some ways.

Jim

The burning sensation is normal. It should go away in a few days :)

Tamerlane
I had the same experience with brachytherapy. But it passes in a few days, however. At 20 months past treatment I still have times of burning .

DC

This is the second day after my surgery. Still an intense burning when I urinate but at least not so excruciating as yesterday's urination. Still some blood in my urine but not as much as yesterday.

Jim,
Thanks for sharing your information with me. I agree with you that no two men and their results are the same. I find that I was semi-aroused when I woke up this morning, the morning after my procedure which surprised me. That hasn't happened in years. I'm just looking forward to the burning razor blades urination going away. I will keep all posted on my PSA scores. Before my procedure I peaked at 8.4 with a 3-3 Gleason score. Six of my twelve biopsies were cancerous. However, my prostate cancer is localized and my urologist and oncologist assure me my prognosis for another "25 years" is 96.4%. We will see. I'm 71 now. I'll take another 25 years. Without the procedure they told me that "maybe ten good years but, at your age, you would probably die of something else." Of course I was but I didn't want to live those ten years with the possibility of prostate cancer spreading to other parts of my body.

You should be through the "razor blade" stage by now. How are you doing?

Jim

Still some burning but not near as intense as the first two days. However, I now have to get up at least seven times at night to urinate. Before surgery I could go all night without getting up once. I also passed another seed urinating and I am still passing blood including a fairly large clot this morning. I am also very fatigued but probably because I'm not getting a good night's sleep.

I had several "urges" to urinate during the first few months. Now, it is much more like before. Hang in there, it gets better with time. Fatigue can still be an issue with me but is not the problem it once was.

Jim

Tamerlane,
I experienced the razor blade sensations for about three days. I also experienced discoloration of my urine for a few days. I had no pain associated with procedure. One year later i have gone from PSA 5.4 to PSA .03 with another follow test due next week. Hoping for a PSA of .01. The year has been relatively easy to deal with except for some slight urinary flow problems which seem to be helped by Tamulosin. The sexual intensity is reduced a bit and seminal flow is much less although there are no problems getting an erection or having an orgasm. My system seems to produce more gas than before and I find that i am experiencing more urgent bowel movements after eating. Other than the aformentioned symptoms my life has not been affected to any extreme degree. I work, i travel, I eat and drink whatever I want, life is good. Glad I opted for Brachytherapy for my particular case. There is life after a Prostate Cancer diagnosis. Be patient and let your body heal, attitude is everything!! Good luck.

Toscana

did you all have advanced prostate cancer with Brachytherapy has anyone tried to institute remission therapy for there cancer? Al

Bigal123,

My cancer diagnosis was discovered early. I was deemed stage T1c and had a gleason score of 6. I was told all therapies were open to me but chose Brachytherapy, because it offered a fast recovery time, very little inconveince, results that were par with surgery, without the post op side effects and because the doctor was a seasoned professional, who teaches the proceedure at a medical school in Boston.

Toscana

Hi Big Al,

My prostate cancer was "low risk", but barely so. 6 of 12 cores positive with 2 on the left (5% involvement) and 4 on the right (20% involvement) and a positive digital rectal exam with a pronounced hard ridge on the right lobe of the gland. PSA = 8.8 at diagnosis and 9.6 at treatment. The positive DRE upped my staging a bit.

ok thanks mine is advanced at 9 gleason score and have 3 different cancers in prostate

Toscana,
It's been a week since my brachytherapy surgery. The "razorblades" urination is gone although there is still some burning but that is tolerable. I can get through the night again without having to get up urinate although I do have to go pretty bad when I get up in the morning. There is a lot of discoloration (dark purple and black) on my scrotum and testicle sack plus the discoloration at the head of my penis which probably has to do with the catheterization, the first I've ever had. I don't have my regular urine flow back yet but I am urinating, for which I am thankful. I don't want to get catheterized again.

I am scheduled for a "follow-up post seed implant" in two weeks. Next month I am scheduled for a "post seen simulation" and they sent me a note saying "please wear sweat pants if you have them." I don't know what this is about. I've tried to look it up on the Internet and don't see anything. I thought they were done messing around with my plumbing. Apparently not.

Tamerlane,
I don't know what the two appointment would be for , except maybe to see if you have any post op conditions that require attention. The 1 month visit after implantation usually is an ultrasound of the prostate to see that all the seeds are implanted in their proper place. Some also get a follow up PSA test at 3 months but my doctor feels that is too soon and so my first follow up PSA was done at 6 months. My PSA went from 5.4 at surgery to .03 at six months. My doctor told me also that after six months some patients experience a slight bump up in numbers before settling down to their end result. The discoloration and bruising should go away in time, as the junk doesn't like having all those needles and seeds being stuck in there. Be patient, call your doctor with anything abnormal, and give yourself time to heal. It is almost 1 year for me and I still take 1 Tamulosin pill a day for urine flow. I would also call the doctors office and voice your concerns as to exactly what these appointments are for. Good luck.

Toscana

Toscana,

Thank you for your good advice. My urologist told me that my PSA count will go down significantly which I am looking forward to. I think the second visit, the one where they suggest that I wear sweatpants (which I do not own) is probably for an ultrasound of the prostate to see that all the seeds are implanted in their proper place. I'll take your suggestion though and call my urologist's office just to make sure. I really don't want any more invasive procedures in that area. I've had enough.

My VA doctor has increased my Terazosin prescription from 5mg to 10 mg. That is already helping with my urine flow. I only have to get up once at night now instead of seven times. I still have major discoloration in the "junk area" which is somewhat disconcerting but no pain or discomfort.

I was advised "not to have sex" for two weeks after the procedure. Not a big hurdle for me but I do masturbate (I apologize for being so graphic but this is the only way I know how to describe it). I have held off on that activity and will do so for another week. I'm curious though if when I do will I pass more seeds. I've already passed two through urination which my doctor told me was normal.

Thanks again for your advice and information. All ver helpful in alleviating my anxieties.

Tamerlane

Tamerlane,
I also waited before masturbation and was curious as to how this procedure would affect me sexually. Good news is I am still functioning although there are some changes. I still have no problem getting an erection and I still experience an orgasm however the flow of seaman has been reduced and sometimes it is a dry orgasm. Don't be afraid of being specific and using the proper terminology on this site as we are all in the same boat. It would be harder to understand what you are talking about if you start talking in code...The best to you...steady as she goes....

Toscana

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support Us TOO International

Help Us TOO International Prostate Cancer Education & Support Network reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  Us TOO International Prostate Cancer Education & Support Network

Discussion topics

Us TOO Education Tools & Resources

Get Involved with Us TOO

Community leaders