weight loss after a thyroidectomy

I am trying to find out if it is possible to lose weight (significantly) after a THYROIDECTOMY. I am 31 years old and I had a thyroidectomy at 29 while I was 7 months pregnant, due to a compression on my windpipe. I was about 201lbs when I had the surgery, and after the surgery I went up to 220. Recently, I lost 7 lbs. but I really don't know how. I drink a lot more water than I use to. I walk 20 min. a day. I eat basically the same, but not that much. Because most of the time after I get off of work at 5pm and pick up my four children from three different spots, and after doing the usual parent thing. I'd rather sleep than eat. But what want to know is significant weight loss like 60 + lbs. possible. Are there any people who have had a thyroidectomy been successful with significant weightloss? Please post stories.

Edited January 13, 2009 at 10:43 pm

35 replies. Join the discussion

I'm not sure about weight loss after the surgery, but do you still see an endocrinologist? Is it possible that some of your other levels are off? I have gained 91 pounds from my normal weight. Part of it was because I was diagnosed 60lbs after the fact, other reasons were that my levels were off. I know that I can lose some of the weight again, because at one time I did lose almost 60lbs. I was really strict with myself exercising and staying on a low carb/no carb diet. This is what worked for me. Definately check with your doctor to see what is right and will work for you.

Hi joynae:

This is something I wrote up for another forum, I hope it can help you some.

I had a total thyroidectomy May 20, 2008. I had a rough time after, and just kept reading some tough stories that really worried me online so I wanted to share my own success story in the hope that some other newbie may be comforted. It is a long post but I think it would have been good for me to read when I was first going through all of this. The main theme is weight loss and use of Synthroid.

In January of 2008, as I turned 28, I decided I needed to start losing weight. I was up to 210lbs. I was always very active, I had played rugby since I was 19. I had just completed my first half marathon which I had trained for for the previous 9 months in which I only lost 5 pounds. I changed my diet and started running every morning. I was down to 190 by May 2008. I think it was the weight loss that made me notice something wasn't right in my neck. I felt something abnormal so I went to see my doc. He told me right away I had a large thyroid nodule and sent me for an ultrasound to be sure. He did some blood work which came back normal. I should mention that at this time, I was feeling better than I ever have in my life. However, the nodules, one on each lobe, were too big for biopsy, they would have to be removed. So on May 20, 2008, my entire thyroid was removed. Because it turned out to be non cancerous (Hurthle Cell Adenoma), I was able to start on Synthroid the next day. My dose, 100mcg.

Now to reiterate, I had lost about 5lbs a month through good diet and lots of exercise (50 minute jog 5 days a week in the morning, weight lifting 4 days a week in the evening) and I was feeling physically the best I had ever felt in my life. After surgery I lounged around for a couple of weeks in recovery, then I got right back into my schedule. I continued to run every morning, but soon, when I would get home from work, I would just fall asleep. The times I did make it to the gym, I couldn't do anything. I could go on about the symptoms, but let’s just say it was rough, (not sure why I didn't realize that crying in front of my computer in the afternoons at work was not normal) but outside of the physical problems, I went CRAZY. At least that is what it seemed like. Sure enough my blood work would confirm that my dosage was too low. My TSH was around 29.

The impact of this would affect me for the rest of the year. I was on a great routine before, but my body couldn't handle it in this hypothyroid state, I slipped out of my schedule and even as I continued running in the morning, I wasn't losing any more weight, but I guess because I was never hungry I fortunately didn't put any on either. My routine was gone though and as my dosage was slowly increased, my appetite came back, from May-December my lowest weight was around 185. In the first week of November (after being on 100 then 150, then 175 mcg of Synthroid) my dosage was increase to 200 mcg. I was feeling GREAT, I certainly had a good appetite too, long story short I was up to about 192 by the time the holidays were over. But that was step one of this success story. I wasn't "crazy" any more, I wasn't lethargic, I wasn't having wildly uncontrollable mood swings, I was no longer losing fists full of hair, Synthroid was (is) working for me. I don't have all the numbers from my last blood work, but my TSH was 0.3 and all the others were close to the high maximum. At first I thought this might indicate I need a decrease in dosage, but I feel great and I have not had any heart palpitations or ever felt my heart racing and my doc agreed this is where I need to be.

Success two would be much harder, but quite frankly it was just as hard back when I had a normally functioning thyroid. Ultimately it is all about diet and exercise. Now that I felt my Synthroid was under control, it was time to get back on my diet and exercise routine. I was worried that it was just going to be so much harder than before, but really, it’s hard no matter what and not having a thyroid only affected me when I wasn't properly medicated. I'm eating right again and working out and the pounds are dropping off. I'm down to 182 and counting.

My whole point of this story is that if you are just starting on this journey, know that it can get discouraging, but it can get better. You may be in a bad place while trying to get back to "normal" but you will get there. If you are in such a hypothyroid state that working out seems impossible, then you HAVE to have a good diet and eat small portions until you get back to where you can take your walks or runs or lift weights or whatever works for you. And when you finally get to where you are feeling great again or for the first time, just know that not having a thyroid will not stop you from being in whatever physical shape you want to be.

Hoping I can keep someone from hating their surgeon for too long :-)
Good luck,
Emilie

Hi h_s:
Thanks for the very encouraging post. It is good to read about successful first hand experiences. I started school recently, and get this I have more time to workout now! so I am focusing on weight training and cardio. Thanks again for the encouraging post and good luck w/ the weight loss.

Emilie,

Thank you so much for sharing your encouraging story, I just had a total thyroidectomy Dec 08, talk about being emotionally labile, I just feel this overwhelming feeling of doom and wanting to cry. I have gained 10lbs since July 08,,, post surgery my TSH was 26 and the doc put me on 125 synthroid last week TSH 16 I just started taking 150 should I start to feel a difference with that dosage change. My docs goal is to keep me on the hyperthyroid side as my thyroidectomy was for cancer.

Hi chiv:

I'm sorry it took so long to respond!

Ok first off the doom and gloom, I totally understand it and am not surprise at all that you feel that way. For me that didn't go away until I got my TSH way down. I have never really understood depression before, but now I know what it is like, no matter how much you try to convince yourself that your life is good, all you can think about are the bad things. If you were not depressed before this, then just try to remember this is all a symptom of the hypothyroidism and how it is so good at messing with your brain. It does get better! I remember sitting at my desk in the afternoons and with my eyes glazing over and not knowing if I wanted to sleep or cry or both.

I'm glad to hear that your doc wants to get you on the hyperthyroid side, mine does too and I feel so much better. My last TSH was 0.3. It sounds kind of like we had similar reactions to the doses. As for when you will feel it, when I went from 100 to 150 I felt a huge difference in about 2 weeks. From 150-175, then from 175-200 there wasn't really a time when I REALLY noticed a huge difference. Just a gradual long term, looking back now I know I feel better sort of thing.

Ok a couple of things for you, when you start loosing chunks of hair in the shower don't panic. I did. It was scary, I thought I was getting better, then this?!? The deal with that is, when you were at your worst hypothyroid state, your hair was growing very weakly, so a few months later it starts breaking about an inch from the root. It will be scary because it seems like it will never stop, but it does, eventually. It lasted about 2 or so months for me.

Another one that I really can't stress enough, be VERY mindful of how your take your meds. I used to take mine at 5:15am then have breakfast at 6:15am, then just take it whenever on the weekends. I starting having to eat breakfast closer to 6am (just 15 minutes earlier!) so I kept taking the pill at 5:15am. Then I went crazy (again) no matter what, I could not get the negative thoughts out of my head. Nothing changed, but I was miserable. I had an idea that maybe it was because of the way I was taking my pill. So now, I have an alarm go off and I take my pill at 3am EVERY day. I feel much better now. Maybe you won't have to do that, but what I will say is, while you are still adjusting, just remember that the numbers on your blood work are what they are because of how you take your pill now. If you are eating 1 hour after your pill, then next month start eating 30 minutes after, you might see a big difference. I did so I don't take any chances any more.

I'm living proof it gets better, so just try to keep positive!

Emilie

I had a total thyroidectomy last week, 17 Mar. 09, and this week I'm weepy and tired. I feel tired and sleepy all the time. I took my medication and forgot I had taken it so I counted all my pills to see if I had. I don't want to gain weight. Before the surgery I had lost 40 pounds and I looked, and still do, good, but it had nothing to do with me. My hyperthyroid did it and now I'm afraid its all going to come back. Depression like a dark cloud is lingering in the horizon ahead of me and I don't want to go in there.

Reading your posts encourages me and I know I am not alone.

Hi, I had a total throidectomy on jan 30 2009 ...needless to say I had went from aug 2008 weighing 126 to weighing on jan 30 185 now i am weighing in on this day of april18 2009 at 178 I am still having problems losing weight still depressed and trying to lose weight my husband even bought me the wii fit and i love it I love doing the aerobics on it and the balance games and also the stand in place run...I am slowly losing weight but my synthroid medication is still being adjusted...My endoctrinoligist checks my tsh level every two months so its a slow progress...I know things will get better just have to get the meds at the right dose...sometimes i get so tired and so depressed....then i start reading on here about other peoples problems and my problem doesnt seem as bad....but now i sit and cry over everyone elses problems....I cant wait to get this medication set right...I cry over spilt milk literally....but i know there is light at the end its there....somewhere....I know it is...I have a wedding to go to in june my son is getting married and I feel and look like a moo cow in a gown...I am hoping to lose enough weight by June so I dont look so bad...oh well all I can do is keep trying...and try to talk my doctor into changing my meds a lil bit more ...he has only changed it from 100 to 112 since jan 30...why cant they start at a higher dose....I am going to try and talk him into 150 or 200 so i can lose weight quicker....

is there any other way to beat graves without surgery or rai treatment? i am supposed to have surgery but am scared to go through what you are all going through. i don't want to get depressed or gain weight. is there any alternative treatment that works?

I'm a women, 31 yrs. old, with Graves Disease. I just met with my dr. yesterday and he recommended surgery to remove my thyroid. I'm beyond nervous about gaining weight. Before reading all of these posts, I actually thought having my thyroid removed would help me lose weight. I thought, the medicine would finally give me a normal metabolism. Just the thought of going back to a depressed, anxiety ridden, lethargic state terrifies me. I lost weight before being diagnosed with graves and now I've gained it all back plus more. I cringe everytime they have me get on a scale at the dr's office. I want to cry right now just thinking about it. I'm sick of feeling sick and being overweight. I just want to feel normal again. Are there any other side effects to be aware of when having your entire thyroid removed? I would LOVE to hear from other Graves people...I feel so alone with this disease.

Hi all, On 18th Sep 2009 I had relapse of hyperthyroid.

I was initially diagnosed in Nov 2007. I decided to not let this rule my life inspite of the emotional toll it took on me and my husband. After lot of hard thinking and advice from couple of friends I decided to have a two fold treatment i.e. the PTU for immediate control and holistic treatment which included acupuncture, homeopathy for complete cure.
I believe that the recurrence occurred because my allopathic doctor did not advice me well. According to other reports the medicine should be stopped taken after 18 to 25 months where as I was stopped after 9 months only.
I moved to a different place during this treatment and hence the acupuncture and homeopathy had to be stopped as well.
On 18th May 2009 I was told I have had a relapse and that since I have failed medication therapy I need to either choose RAI or surgery.
I am not interested in RAI since I have faced multiple consequences of the diagnostic test which made me feel worse in a really bad time then.
Today when I have decided on surgery, I am also skeptical of it. I am wondering is it necessary to take such a harsh step. I just holistic medicine was available and common in USA.
I am also worried about weight loss and trying to conceive as I am 32 years old.
I feel lonely and helpless and wonder how I am going to deal with the aftermath.
Diksha

Hi Diksha,

I understand what you are going through. As I mentioned in my post that I had my thyroidectomy while I was seven months pregnant. So needless to say I was double scared. Then afterwards I had all the same concerns you had as far as losing weight and getting pregnant. Well what I found out is that you can still lose weight but the process is more strict than as if you still had a thyroid, and also you can still get pregnant which I recently discovered two weeks ago. So hang in there I know its scary but with support you will pull through.

Goodluck

Joynae

Hi guys,
you are scaring people, and I don't think that's necessary. Everyone's body is different and reacts differently to medication and everything.
I had total thyroidectomy 6 weeks ago. I must say that I was quite week, but I'm getting better and better. I did gain some weight, before surgery, and some after, but I was eating cookies, cakes, chocolate, and other things that are not very good if you wanna eat healthy and maintain normal weight. As for depression, I have good days and bad days, but I used to be depressed before. If it would be for surgery, then I'd be really really bad now, and I'm not that bad. I recently started to exercise a bit. It's great for losing weight, but I also feel great mentally after workout.
It's also important if you're hypo or hyper before the surgery regarding gaining or losing weight. A friend of mine was bad hypo and after the surgery when she started to take hormones, she lost 5-6 kilos first month. And she wasn't on a diet, no exercise or anything. It was partially the water in her body due to hypo state of her body.
After surgery when you get a proper dosage of hormones, you are finally 'normal' and you're not supposed to gain or lose weight or be depressed or having any other symptom related to thyroid problems.
I think it's important to keep your TSH low (not too low tho') and to be positive. Being positive is the most important thing.
I feel quite good now and it's only 6 weeks. In 6 month time, I won't even know I had a surgery ;-)

Okay, here's the deal, I have to agree that I was once in the position prior to thyroid removal of researching and reading all of these horror stories and almost wanting to let the cancer take me (being over dramatic of course) rather than living the rest of my life the way some people made it sound. I have two little girls, so there was no gambling for me. I had been diagnosed with Papillary Carcinoma of the left thyroid and it was aproximately 7 mm in size. Now I was very lucky at this point because my cancer was relatively small and nothing compared to what most people have by the time they find it. Let me tell you a little about me and hopefully you will find out that not everyone has a horror story to tell. Mine is a positive story so should you seek doom and gloom leave now!....................................................................... ........................................................................... ...............................................................Still here? Thought so! Welcome, my name is Jennifer and I am 28 year old mother of two. I work full time as a legal assistant as well as raise my two beautiful daughters, Eliza 6 and Paige 5. I lost my mother June 9, 2007 due to lung cancer. She was not a smoker and we most certainly never suspected it. She was healthy athletic, a little fiesty Korean woman! After losing her so abruptly at the age of 51, I started to worry all the time, what if I was next. My brother as well as my other family members told me that I was being silly and worrying for no reason. So 2 years passed and I tried not to worry about me, myself having cancer. Fast forward to March of 09, it was the end of the month. I had been having heart palpitations. I was definately not hyperthyroid as I had recently gained weight. I am 5'8 and through 2 kids I never gained weight. So after my 3 year old was born I was still thin! I managed to only gain 20lbs with my last child. I had since she was born slowly put on weight (not thyroid related) I was underweight so I am going to say that eventually I was looking pretty decent, as I was a stick figure before. Anyhow, trying to supply facts in between forgive me for rambling:o)! It was March and I decided that the heart palps had to be checked out. I went to the doctor's fully wanting to admit two things straight away. One I was taking Stacker XPLC (a dietary supplement) and it contained caffiene. But I took them everyday and didn't get the palps everyday. So I told my doctor who looked and them and agreed they probably weren't causing the problem, he went through my chart and noticed that he had mentioned my thyroid looking a little full some years back. He said it probably wouldn't cause the palps, unless of course I was hyperthyroid and I had none of those symptoms. So he set me up with an EKG and a holter monitor and of course a TSH level and he said somthing was prodding at him to do an ultra sound. I believe my mother and God played a role in this! Well days passed and I had all the heart tests done which concluded that I was having PVC's and then I had my ultra sound and my doctor called me personally on that one. He told me I had a nodule, roughly 7mm in size on the left thyroid. I was instantly scared. Then of course I read the statistics 94 % of nodules are not cancerous! Right! I will be fine what are the chances I will fall into the 6 % at 28 years old? I went on to biopsy. This was my most miserable memory. I hated this completely. It was just so odd the feeling of the poking around in your neck. It felt so invasive!

I will never forget the day, I just got the call that my loan had gone through on my new Honda! Great news! Literally within moments I got the call that changed my life:
"Hi Jennifer this is so and so calling from Dr. So and So's office and the doctor would like to see you right away."
Me:
"Okay? I am at work right now and don't get out until five."
Her:
"Well you need to come right now."
Me:
"Are you sure? Is it imperative that I come now?"
Her:
"Yes"
I worked about ten minutes away from the office so I called my fiancee and he came right away. We knew if they demanded I get there right now, today, that it couldn't be good news. I sat in that room waiting for my doctor for what felt like forever. An emergency had come in and he was delayed for me. The door opened, my heart stopped:

"Jennifer! Well I have good news! We are gonna take it out and you are going to live a long and healthy life!"

I of course was dumb founded. Did he just tell me I have cancer? His positive tone and cheerful attitude made it hard for me to feel upset. I will love him everyday for the rest of my life, one, for ordering that ultra sound and two, for the way he told me about the cancer. I didn't have time to frown on it, he told me and that was it. My poor fiancee cried. That made me want to cry more than anything. He told me that it was very a very small papillary carcinoma and that my next step would be complete thyroidectomy. So I started researching and didn't take the negative for an answer! I searched for the positive and trust me they are few and far between but I found them! I started talking to them through email and phone. I met so many people in my town that had been through the same thing! It was truly encouraging. So lets zoom forward again, May 15, 2009, D-Day! I went in more nervous about the surgery than I ever had been in my life. I would have gladly gone through both my labors again at this point to surpass this event (glad I stuck it out, it was much easier than giving birth :o) !)and I just wanted to forget I was there. They got all of my information and then I was given "the cocktail" I remember spitting out some words as I watched "the cocktail" approach my veins through the IV line:
"Don't forget to take my purse and clothes and video tape me when this kicks in" and that folks is all I remember!
I woke up in a dark, quiet area:
"Hi Honey you are in recovery, can I get you anything?"
I had been so panicked about naseau that I worried and said :
"Yeah, my stomach is a little upset." so she gave me some meds and the uneasy feeling disapated.
"Can I see my family?" I asked
"Well you literally just came out of surgery hun, we have to wait until the anesthesia wears off a bit and then you will be moved to your room"
"Can I please see my family?" I asked immediately again.
"Tell you what I will call down and have them get your room ready but it will still be an hour or so, okay?"
"Can I at least see one of them? Either my fiancee or my dad?"
"Soon honey, soon."
I literally was way more awake than I would have thought I would be. I dozed a little but nothing like I expected. They soon wheeled me down to my room I saw my family (which consisted of my dad, fiancee, stepmom and my little sister) peaking out of the waiting room door watching me get closer and closer. I waved to them. My dad asked "How you doing honey?" I gave him a thumbs up and said "Piece of cake!" He got teary eyed. It was very heartwarming!

At this point as you may be able to guess I was talking! Good news! My throat was mildly sore, but I thought this may be masked by some great pain meds. I wasn't sure. I was just an hour post op and sitting up and chatting with my family. I was tired but anxious to speak with them and let them all know I was fine. My fiancee asked me if I was hungry. I must admit I was starved. My dad and stepmom and sister stepped out to get somthing to eat and my lovey ran down to the cafeteria and got me a roast beef sandwich (haha) and bowl of soup. When the nurse came in she looked at me funny. "Are you really eating that?" She looked at my chart and called another nurse in.
"Well her chart said normal diet..." they looked puzzled number one at how I could be eating when my throat was freshly sliced and two I had just come out of anesthesia. I ate with no issues. I was up and around within moments after surgery as I needed to go pee somthing fierce from all the IV fluids. The docs were baffled. They kept offering me pain meds but I felt no pain! The nurse warned me,
"you have to keep on top of it or it can catch up with you!"
I assured her I was fine. The next day I met my life companion, Synthroid! I began taking them first thing in the morning. I went home that day by choice! They said if I felt up to it I could go. I could feel just as fatigued at home so I said, "let my people go":o)! I went hypo for about 3 days. I was driving too which was nuts! The head that makes you feel like you could pass out at any minute? I did notice however in those three days it kept getting slightly better and if I sat in the sun or walked in the sunlight, I felt better too! I was on 100mcg at the time. By day 4 I thought to myself that God and my mom must be smiling upon me. I felt like me! I felt great actually! They obviously had my dose right as my hair texture returned to normal. It had gone wierd in the days prior. I felt so good. I played with my girls, went out with my fiancee. I was so thankful that my story wasn't some of the horror stories I had heard. Anyhow zoom zoom again to present 4 weeks post op, I met with my new friend the Endo and she really informed me. Number one my calcium looked great, number two my TSH levels were right on and I could tell because I felt great. She then tells me that we are going to up my dose to 150 because she wants me borderline hyper as to keep the cancer at bay. I am also going to undergo RAI although my lymphs were benign. She also tells me:
"I don't know what possessed your primary care physician to order the tests? I am baffled. To be honest if we would have saw your nodules here we would have assumed they weren't cancer and just kept an eye on them. I wouldn't even have ordered a biopsy."

I felt the hair on my neck stand up. It really was a super natural occurence! I did end up after being offered to keep the "good half" of my thyroid and being lead to say no take it all, find out that, I had 3 well differentiated papillary carcinoma's on the right side as well! All less than 5 mm and too small to be seen by ultra sound. I was lucky folks and I wear my scar as a gift from my mom! Will there be hard days in the future? I am sure there will! Days when I wonder how anyone could live like this? Never! Why? Because I am living! I am so thankful to be alive! To be able to see my girls grow! I thank God for this chance. I will tell you what, the alternate is a far worse fate and I will never resent the chance to LIVE without my thyroid, good or bad. Chin up folks it does get better!

I am not bragging by any means and I don't slight what anyone has gone through I just want scared people to know that everyone is different and not to weigh too much of someone else's story into their own experience.

Wow, I realized in my last post that I never mentioned the actual topic that it was about. The weight gain, well like I said I was immediately put on the right dose and suffered no weight gain! If your meds are right you will be you! If you were hyperthyroid then you can count on gaining weight.

I am so happy for you and recovey process. I too had to have my throid removed due to cancer on both sides as well as it wrapped around my vocal cords.
I had a very rough recovery due to all thew work the doc had to due to remove the thyroid and the damage that was done by the cancer.
I am a little puzzles by your story, did you not go to an oncologist to have the radioactive iodine treatment? This is normal protocal when having thryoid cancer. When going through this process you are off of thyroid meds completely until your TSH levels are above 50. My doctors negelected me and my levels reached a critical high of 94. Now almost 4 months later my levels are just starting to come down and I am starting to feel better. I have read lots of stories but we need to real about having the thyroid removed. You have no control of how you feel and what your body goes through when are not on the correct medicine. These stories arent to scare people but to prepare them. Your thryoid handles some many things in your body. Which you dont realize until it is gone.
Good luck to those of you that are struggling. The story above yet wonderful and amazing is not the typical story of recovery from having your thyroid removed.

Here, we don't have to have an oncologist, I have an Endocrinologist, who referred me out to a Nuclear Med Specialist. I will be meeting with him on the 29th of July, right now I am going through high dose Synthroid therapy to keep the cancer at bay. My cancer had not spread beyond my thyroid, my lymphs tested benign. My cancer was very small to begin with and found very early. I did go into a hypo state for about 2 days post op and around day 3 and 4 started to feel my meds kick in. Every doctor is different and a lot of them these days scan with Thyrogen shots. It simulates hypothyroidism rather than making the patient suffer. Look it up. The only problem with that is, some insurances don't cover it. Where I live, I have had to go through a team of docs to finish the process, my primary ordered the ultrasound, when that came back suspicious he ordered the biopsy, I was then referred to my surgeon who removed my thyroid and started my meds, from there my surgeon referred me to my Endo and my Endo referred me to my Nuclear Med doc who is located in Albany, New York. I will be telling him that I do not want to do the RAI right now. I am clear as far as they know and I believe in my case the RAI will do more harm then good. If I test positive in 6 months then we will go from there. It's funny not every story is like mine, but all the Thyca survivors around me have similar stories and were very encouraging in my time of need. I believe they set the path for my optimistic attitude and helped me get through my situation. I feel pretty good! I have days of fog and tiredness and irrability but nothing like I thought after reading most stories. I am sorry if I offend anyone who is going through a great deal. This was my experience and some others that I was able to meet during this time. I am sorry that I try to hope for the best rather than expect the worst.

I am one who has achieved 60+ weight loss following TT. It is possible, but with us it takes some time. U do need an Endocrinologist. This is how this was possible 4 me. I now follow a 1200 calorie meal plan (no diets just healthy eating) with exercise of 30 minutes to an hour a day @ least 4 days a week (join the YMCA, it helps). I have done this in a little more than a year. I'm still plugging away 2 lose about 50 more lbs. But I know it will take some time. Patience is a virtue. I'm much healthier and it does help 2 drink plenty of water and increase your fruits and vegetables. My guage 4 my water intake is I drink 64 oz of water every day and 4 every 25 lbs over my goal weight that I am, I drink an extra 8 oz. Yes, it's possible, it just takes time.

I am new to this site and I can see from all the posts that I am NOT the only one going through what seems like pure he**! I had what was left of my thyroid removed 3 weeks ago ( I had the left side removed in 1996). I had to because of a large goitter. I feel tired and sluggish all the time, I get winded doing the simplest things and worst of all... I have gained 10 pounds in 2 weeks! But the most depressing thing is I am getting married in one month! I have started exercising again and the doc put me on 125 mcg of synthroid and told me he would increase it in 2 weeks if I didn't start to feel a change. My dress has been altered already to fit me pre-op and am scared I won't be able to fit in it. I am so desperate to lose SOME weight before we get married but am getting sooo discouraged. And depressed? OMG... I cry more now than I ever did. Is this how it's going to be forever? Will I ever lose the weight? I was about 160 pre op and now I am 172. I'm 38 yrs old so I know my metabolism slows with age. Help!

My situation is relatively complex when it comes to weight gain. I noticed a gradual increase in weight as my thyroid became less and less functional. To muddy up the picture though I also work 12 hour night shifts in the ER and have a new baby in the house so I am not getting great sleep. Sleep disruption has been shown to increase weight on its own. For exercise I jog (about 1 x a week) and do Krav Maga (60 min twice a week). I try to exercise more but after working 12 hours I just want to go to bed.

I decided to get the total thyroidectomy after careful consideration as I was beginning to have compression symptoms. For example when I fell asleep on my back I would snore then wake up due to sleep apnea. This problem has since disappeared since the surgery.

The weight gain however has not. it has not increased so far but even when I watch what I eat it makes no difference on the scale.

I was pretty tired after the surgery and I was not sure if this was a combination of just having a big surgery and being on vicodin post op for pain. Once I stopped the vicodin, however, I still felt tired and I remember one day in which I was really sad.

Eventually I had my blood work done again and my TSH was now 14. Prior to surgery it was 0.38. My dosage of levoxyl has since been increased from 150mcg to 200mcg (prior to surgery I was on 125mcg).

I feel better but I still have periods of tiredness. I have begun working out again and I find I do not have the stamina I had before and working out is more of a drag now it seems. I still force my self to do it and once I have started I am fine. It is just the get up and go I am having a problem with. I find I have been compensating by drinking even more caffeine than I did pre-op.

Again this may be exacerbated by my night shift sleep patterns when I am working and my broken sleep (due to my baby girl) when I am off. Right now I am hoping the doctor will increase my dose again after my next round of blood work and that I can eventually get my energy level back to where I was so I will want to workout again. I am currently 201 lbs and would be happy at 180-185 lbs.

some days i sleep others i dont

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders