Natural alternatives?

I had a TT done in June and am currently on levothyroxine. Anyone know of or heard of any "natural" alternatives? I haven't felt like "me" since the TT. Had weight gain, depression,anxiety,problems sleeping, and no energy since then. I miss me! I miss what I could do with little effort that now makes me exhausted!
I understand it takes time but I'm sick of feeling like this!

1 reply. Join the discussion

Quietangel, so sorry to hear of your struggles. By that point in my recovery I was back to my old self. Here are a few thoughts: You asked about natural hormones...and I've been on natural the whole time, Westhroid. (Armour is also a good natural choice.) I remember reading about several people on this board a year or so ago who felt poorly on synthetic, and then felt a lot better after switching to natural. If your doctor will let you switch, then it sounds like it might be worth it to me. If he/she won't, then I might look for a different endo who is open to that.

Another thing is to make sure that you're following all of the rules about taking your thyroid pills...on an empty stomach, preferably 1 1/2-2 hours after a meal and that same amount of time before you eat again. After trying several situations, I take mine between breakfast and lunch. (I set the alarm on my cell phone to go off every day. It can keep people awake at night, which I didn't need help doing.) it is especially important that you don't take it with calcium. Also, drink a full glass of water with the pill. (I make sure I drink at least 8 oz.)

I hope you can find the help you need to get to a good place. Don't give up hope...it is possible to feel good again! Keep us updated.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders