Cost of Thyrogen shots

My endo told me that the thyrogen shots are very expensive, difficult to get approved by insurance, and in short supply. I love in NJ. Does anyone have any knowledge of the cost (including hospital since I believe they need to be given in a hospital)?

Also I was told that I am borderline for needing ROI. It is basically my decision if I am more comfortable having it since they can not guarantee that there are not any cancer cells left. Any thoughts anyone?

Edited November 2, 2010 at 4:28 pm

4 replies. Join the discussion

Hi Peg,

I had the Thyrogen and it did have to be put through Medical review with my insurance co but since my Endo was able to show medical necessity, they approved it. It is approx $1800 per injection. All of my doctors said that even if insurance didn't cover it, to try to come up with the funds some way or they would work with me financially because it is so much less hard on you and your body to get the injections than to go hypo before treatment. I recieved my injections in the Dr's office. No hospital required.

As for RAI (I think that was what you were refering to?), it was a simple and non invasive procedure. To me it was worth going through to be cancer free. I was fortunate not to have any ill effects from the treatment. I think overall, most people go through it relatively unscathed.

Do your research, ask your questions and do what is best for you and your long term health. Best of luck to you!

Thanks for the response. I meant RAI - thats what I get for not proofreading.

I am glad you did so well with the treatment. I agree that to go hypo when there is an alternative seems crazy.

Hi Peg,

I agree with the above writer. My total cost was 2,095.85 including the fee for the injection. My insurance covered the cost. I also had RAI and it went well. My scan later was negative. I am glad that I was able to go this routine.. Good luck and God bless.

Just wanted to add a bit, as it is pretty important at this time. Thyrogen is in short supply, as I received this email about it today. Thought I would share with you.

American Thyroid Association
Dedicated to Scientific Inquiry, Clinical Excellence, Public Service, Education, and Collaboration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----
Thyrogen® Shortage

Genzyme Corporation (Cambridge, MA), currently under a consent decree with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regarding manufacturing issues of several products including Thyrogen®, recently experienced a delay in its product release and a subsequent global shortage of Thyrogen®. Genzyme resumed shipping Thyrogen® to its distributors on Tuesday November 9th. While this activity promises to end the recent shortage, it may take several days for Thyrogen® to reach pharmacies and for backorders to be filled. Thus, it may be advisable to not schedule use of Thyrogen® until product is confirmed to be available through your normal method of obtaining this product.

American Thyroid Association
6066 Leesburg Pike
Suite 550
Falls Church, Virginia 22041
e-mail: thyroid@thyroid.org
web site: www.thyroid.org

This may help in figuring out where to go from here. God Bless,
Valarie

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Discussion topics

Community leaders