Wondering how many ThyCa were found randomly?? or were you feeling bad?

Just completely curious if the cancer was found during a routine physical or because you were having thyroid problems? Also, did you have thyroid problems-hypo/hyper before your diagnosis....just wondering?

Mine was found during a routine physical and my physician felt my nodule, no symptoms, no idea it was there. My levels THS were all normal along with all of my other blood work. Crazy that something like that can be going on in your body and you have no idea!

122 replies. Join the discussion

Random. I was feeling bad unrelated to thyroid cancer and had an ultrasound of my neck. Despite the fact that my nodule was 1.4 cm it wasn't palpable on exam. If not for that ultrasound I'd probably still be walking around with it. It was 18 months from my first detection to my treatment. During that time it grew .4 cm. Michelle

I had a sore throat, my ENT did an ultrasound of my thyroid and couldn't see anything abnormal. We decided to do a biopsy because I had a couple of swollen lymph nodes and an MRI to see what could be causing the sore throat. The MRI showed the thyroid mass and the pathologist made the decision that we needed to biopsy that instead. Well it came back cancerous, and our journey began.

Totally random! Went in for my yearly physical and the NP felt my thyroid just because it's what she does. Low and behold she felt the tumors and that's where my journey began. I was always tired but chalked it up to overworked and insomnia. Now I know better to pay attention to my body!

Mine was found on a MRI I had done because I had suffered a stroke!

I passed out randomly in the grocery store, had to have an MRI and CT scan of head and neck that uncovered subdural hematoma and by chance masses in my thyroid!

hi . mine was also diagnosed by chance at mammography.the doctor wanted to have a look at eteh thyrod too at the ultrasound and found a suspicious nodule.then the biopsy and teh operation and the rai. there was a lynph node metastase too which increased my risk.i was putting on weight and was tired all time but i am working a lot and at 50 i thought menapouse was going to start. so after rai thy say i am clean.but what now? anyone to tell me? i cant stop working cant slow down my pace in life.any ideas about feeling good and fightng thiis disase? goog luck for all of you there and be strong.that helps.

Mine was random. I was beginning a medically-supervised weight loss program. My doctor did a very complete metabolic screen, which disclosed that I had extremely high thyroid antibody levels, from which she deduced Hashimoto's. She sent me for an ultrasound, which revealed two nodules, one 0.8 cm and the other 1.5 cm. She referred me to an endo, who, because of the 1.5 cm nodule, ordered an FNA. The 1.5 cm nodule was Hashimoto's. The 0.8 cm was PTC.

Mine was anything but random, took five years to get diagnosed. In 2004 one doctor facing some other oddities in my medical record felt I had a thyroid issue but my TSH tested ok so he never went past that. As my symptoms of a thyroid issue increased steadily I was begging doctors to evaluate my thyroid properly, and an endo in consult six month before my TT guaranteed I had nothing wrong with my thyroid. It was only a new primary care who sent me to a crack radiology group to have the thyroid really checked out that I got to the bottom of it The radiologist came right out and told me he felt I had a serious issue and I sure did, so had my TT in April 2009. So about five years of getting thyroid checked to get a diagnosis. I had a warthin tumor, rarer type of PTC and several other nodules positive for PTC too.

I had gone to the doc for years complaining of freezing hands and feet, and heavy sickening periods.
I got terrible pains in my abdomen that incapasitated me, and I felt like I was 80 years old.
I finally broke down and went to a different doctor. Not only did he find a large cyst on my right ovary that according to my records had been there for like three years!, he found my tsh was really high.
He went for an ultrasound on my first visit. He found it right away.
I would like to kick my old doc in the butt.(hard). He never ran down anything.

Mine was palpable and found by my gynecologist. I felt fine, but also was found to have Hashimoto's.

Mine was random during my yearly physical. My doctor felt the bump on my thyroid that turned out to be 5cm. That was about exactly one year ago and after a TT I'm doing great.

I found it myself when driving on the highway. Just randomly felt my neck and noticed a lump. It was 2.5 cm. My TSH was at normal levels.

I had swollen lymph nodes that wouldn't go down. The doctors kept telling me it'll go away, could be a minor infection the lymph nodes may be reacting to. After a couple of months of bumps on my neck and being treated like a hypochondriac, they decided to sent me for an ultrasound; turns out I wasn't imagining things! I had 2 -2cm nodes on my thyroid. Ended up doing a TT, had 29 lymph nodes removed 11 of which were also positive for cancer. I'm glad I listened to my body.

I had been struggling with Hyper thy and suddenly my numbers went off the charts. What I mean is every month they drew blood and with in one month my bloods were wacked. My eyes were bulging and my hair was dropping out. I was feeling lousy. the cancer was hidden. I had two nodules that showed up on the ultrasound, It was concluded the thyroid had to go, but when it was taken out a third tumor was there and it was the cancerous one!
Thank G od my Endo insisted my thyroid come out!

My gyn found my lump on an annual check up. Evidently, she was checking the wrong end of me ;)
Since then she told me she has found other's with thyroid cancer, based on the basic neck check.
Susan

completely random. I was sitting on my porch swing, watching my kids play outside and allergy season was in full motion and having allergies I was itchy, and scratching my neck. Later on that evening when I was in the bathroom I recall looking at my neck and thinking "wow, I really scratched the hell out of my neck- hey, wtf is that lump??" and saw a small lump just above my collarbone. I remember thinking 'oh shit' knowing what it may mean (my family is full of oncology nurses). I set up an appt with my family doc who sent me for an ultrasound and to my ENT who did a FNA Biopsy to confirm it was thyca. What's odd is they did test my bloodwork at my family doctor when I initially went in, and my TSH levels were completely normal.

I felt the lump myself, which was missed at my check up a month earlier. TSH tests had been normal, too. Turned out my thyroid was destroyed by Hashimoto's, just hanging in there, and had a couple of tumors, too. Large tall cell tumor, which is scary, and I hope I caught in time. I felt fine, but did notice after my TT that I could finally lose weight - impossible before, no matter what I did - and a lot of sleeplessness and anxiety problems evaporated instantly, even with a cancer diagnoss! I guess the Hashimoto's was causing that.

after having a miscarriage i was getting a physical to try and see what happened. the endocrinologist (i'm also diabetic, so already had one, although hadn't seen him in a long, long, long time) felt my neck, very unconcerned said, "oh, you have hashimotos, but i want an ultrasound just to be sure" and continued on his way. it was during the ultrasound, when the tech went and got not 1, but 2, radiologists to do another ultrasound, that i knew something was wrong.

Mine was found during a routine physical.

My daughters was random. She felt she couldn't breath. The doctor did blood test and they came back that she was hyperthyroid. Sent her to an endo and he did ultrasound and found the nodule. He did a biopsy and it came back positive for pappilar cancer.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders