Why am I not happy that WBS clear?

I had 150mCi RAI on Nov 6th and had my WBS on Nov. 14. Immediately after the scan my husband and i went to see the radiation oncologist. He said there was good uptake and all involvement was in the neck area. He said i am "cancer free". That should be GREAT news, however, i am still a bit scared. I had my TT on August 28th for papillary cancer. 11 out of 20 lymph nodes were positive. I guess I am asking if the RAI killed ALL thyroid cells, how can it come back? I see so many people with reoccurrences and was wondering if there was a lot of lymph node involvement in the beginning. I am so thrilled that the WBS was clear but my husband told my kids (who are 8 and 11 and are very scared) that i have no more cancer and everything is done. How do I know that for sure???

4 replies. Join the discussion

You can't know for sure and I find that especially difficult. We have to learn to live with the Sword of Damocles over our heads. I see it as a chronic disease that will probably never kill me, but will also never be cured.

There are many newer studies being done on tg level and recurrence. The newer tg assays are much more sensitive than in the past. Patients that are "undetectable" at levels <.2, .1 , or even lower and who have a negative neck ultrasound at one year post surgery are thought to have a high probability of "cure." But more long term data needs to be collected. I think that in the fairly near future there will be more reliable information about which thyroid cancers are cured, based on tg measurements and also molecular data.

Thought I was the only one that felt the same. When I got the call from my endo's office that my WBS was clear, I felt like "meh." To me, the news just means they didn't see anything, not that there isn't anything there. It is a lifetime of watching and waiting.

Exactly my point Natalie 1166. Thought I was the only one.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders