Vocal Cord Paralysis

My right vocal cord is partially paralyzed leaving me with acid reflux of my larynx. I now take Protonix 40 mg two times a day. It helps. However when I get a cold my cough and sore throat are extreme. At night it feels like I'm nearly drowning. It gets very difficult to swallow. I take cold medicine, drink hot and cold beverages and use a ton of throat spray. Does anyone else have these issues and if so what helps you?

Thank you and good luck to all of you!

10 replies. Join the discussion

I was told to avoid citrus, tomatoes, coffee, tea, chocolate, alcohol and high fat foods. It can help to elevate the head of your bed by 6" but using pillows to do that won't work (squeezes the abdomen). They sell sleep wedges on Amazon which I am considering. I'm seeing a laryngologist in Sept. but I think my problem pre-dates TT. Good luck.

We elevated the head of our bed and nearly slid right out. We removed some of the elevation and keep the elevation to about 3". I do try to avoid the foods you listed but not as much as I should. Thanks for the response and good luck to you, Cabro!

I had left vocal fold paralysis and my speech pathologist told me to take a breath right before swallowing, particularly when drinking liquids. Also, to clench my teeth together and it will often help solid food go down easier. However, I had no issues with acid reflux.

Thanks, Linsifer, for the tips. I choke so often! I know I swallow a lot of air, too. The position of my head when I swallow seems to matter, too.

I've had bilateral vocal cord paralysis since my TT in January. Couldn't eat or dink anything at all for the first 4 days, but since then swallowing has been OK (but just OK). I really have to pay attention when I swallow... I have to take smaller bites and chew well, and take smaller sips when drinking. I don't have much trouble with solid food going down the wrong way but I do occasionally have trouble getting it to go down at all. Liquids occasionally go down wrong if I'm not concentrating.
I've just recently started to experience acid reflux... not a lot of fun when my breathing is already pretty lousy. I may have to start a food journal and see if any particular foods make it better or worse. I've had to give up so much though, that I don't know if I'm willing to give up food I like

RT3, back when I was having more issues with swallowing, my speech therapist gave me a list of foods that I needed to avoid or pay particular attention to when eating. She told me that I needed to chew until the food is in a puréed state. It forced me to eat slower and not scarf my food down. I still have issues with certain nuts like almonds and some breads and crackers. Anything dry or fibrous. But the swallowing is 100% better, especially with liquids. It's so nice to be able to actually tilt my head back now and take a gulp of water and not choke on it. It shows my recurrent laryngeal nerve is slowly healing.
Now I just wish I would have the same recovery with my superior laryngeal nerve.

What do you do when you have a cold with a cough? Does any over the counter medicine help? I ended up going in and getting prescription cough with codeine medicine for nights and Pearls Tesslon for daytime. They said I had bronchitis. Besides the constant cough, my swallowing and breathing is affected when I have a cold. Is there anything good over the counter?

Strange as it sounds, I found by changing out of my jeans and putting on sweats that don't hug me tightly at the waist, I was able to get food down easier. Also, eating at a dining room table, not on a coffee table or a table that is low, is the best. if you have trouble drinkng plain water, add some OJ or milk to it and you will find that it will go down free and clear. My ENT told me that people with throat surgery should never be allowed to drink plain water when they first come out of surgery because of the aspiration issue. Sometimes I have to take a small sip of water to soften the food in my mouth in order to swallow. I used to suffer from the acid reflux, but just realized I don't have it anymore and don' know what else I did but not wear jeans when eating - LOL!!! loosen anything that might be constricting so the food won't get constricted from the outside..

I am also staying away from anything with vinegar: ketchup, mayonnaise, BBQ sauce, wine. I now use avocados for everything!! egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, as a spread on bread for a sandwich. Has been remarkable!!

The Tessalon was my best friend back when I worked and had frequent bronchitis. I hope it helps you. It is tried and true and has been around almost as long as I have! ;-)

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders