thyroglobulin

Okay. once again.... which is a better marker, a stimulated or non stimulated throglobulin level??? I am once again finding conflicting info...

7 replies. Join the discussion

Stimulated is a better marker, but unstimulated is a decent marker as well. (Stimulated requires either thyrogen shots or going hypo, and so is going to be a harder number to get).

A stimulated/ unsuppressed TSH blood test is more sensitive than the unstimulated/ suppressed TSH blood test since the high TSH allows for the "sleeping" Thyroglobulin to "wake-up." Some people will have an undetectable unstimulated (on thyroid hormone) Tg, but a high Tg once it's stimulated. However, if you have thyroglobulin antibodies, neither will be accurate.

Your doctor might do one unstimulated and one stimulated Tg/TgAB, that's what I've been doing for the last 3 years.

If you have antibodies will the tg number show up higher or lower?

If you have antiThy antibodies, your TG will be low. Think of it this way. Antibodies are in your body to attack things they don't like usually this is a good thing, like if you get exposed to measles but were immunized. The antibodies they forced your body to make by giving you the immunization now protect you from the real disease.

With those of us with Hashimoto's, have antibodies to our own tissue. This is why it is called an autoimmune process. So anytime there is TG around, the antibodies eat it up so it isn't there to be measured.

In a nutshell:
High antibodies=falsely low TG

My antibody levels were dropping, then came up slightly, and are still to high to have a believable TG. I understand your confusion. I hope this helps.

Thanks! I have Hashimotos....so I'm not sure why my dr is checking my TG levels before this WBS. I'm only 7 months post TT and not quite 6 months post RAI.

In my case, both my Tg and my anti-Tg were very, very high. I had Hashimoto's, and it seemed to me like the Tg and anti-Tg kept trying to outdo each other (my words), because until I had RAI, both numbers continued to soar, even with a low TSH.

My doctor used 3 criteria for my ongoing cancer diagnosis post-TT and decision for RAI 7 months post-TT:
1. High Tg (from a lab in CA that could measure it out accurately, despite the presence of anti-Tg)
2. Ultra-sound of the throat
3. positive WBS

The high Tg and anti-Tg made me feel just awful.

I hope you can get some answers from the doctor.

PS My reply was to MissMichelle.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders