Thyrogen shots today and tomorrow

Starting the RAI process today. Getting my first thyrogen shot in a few hours. How am I going to feel? What about after taking the RAI pill? Who has been through this and can give me some advice?

12 replies. Join the discussion

I had no side effects from the Thyrogen at all. Some say they feel a bit tired. You'll be fine - good luck!

I went through the Thyrogen shots and RAI back in August. You will be fine. Just be ready for isolation. I was ok with the Thyrogen shots I got them on a Monday and Tuesday then the RAI in the hospital on Wednesday. I was there for a day and a half. I drank a lot of water and showered several times to flush the radiation out and it worked because I got to go home sooner than expected. At home I was in Isolation for a week until I started coming out of my room. I had no direct contact with anyone for about another week. I stayed cleared of children, pets and any pregnant women for over 4 weeks, I did not want to risk harming anyone.

You will be fine. It sounds worse than what it actually is. Take it easy and stay positive it will be over soon.
Take care.

I had thyrogen on Nov 4 and 5 and admitted to the hospital on the 6th for RAI. i actually worked 12 hours on both Monday and Tuesday after the shots. I was just a little tired but that was all. i had 150mci of RAI and was in the hospital for a day and a half. I too drank as much as i could without making myself sick and peed a lot. I was told to stay away from my kids for 3 more days and not sleep in the same bed with my husband. I stayed in my room for 3 days but still had my husband use the boys bathroom for another week just to be sure. I had no side effects from the radiation except a sore jaw the morning after the pills. but that went away over the next 2 days. After about a week, my taste buds started to change. Things didnt taste BAD, but things taste more bland. Hopefully that will go away soon. Good Luck to You, we are all here for you.

I journaled all my experiences with thyrogen and RAI ablation. Feel free to read through them all!

I had my RAI done last month got the shots on Monday and Tuesday than on Wednesday took a small dose of Radioactive Iodine so they could do a full body scan on Friday. Than the following Tuesday they gave me 100mci of radioactive iodine and I went home and spent the next week at home away from everyone. The first 3 days after I ate lunch I would get sick to my stomach for a couple of hours. The only other thing was for about a week I would get a headache.

Had first Thyrogen today, 2nd tomorrow, and RAI on Wednesday. This is helpful info!

Thanks all! Had my first thyrogen today....same schedule as Bcbelmont. So far so good! Thanks for the support!

Had first Thyrogen yesterday like I said above, but feeling awful. It reminds me of morning sickness. Nausea, dizziness, fatigue...feeling blah. Just wanted to document that- was expecting to feel fine. Ah well, one step closer to RAI!

Right after I got the first shot, I thought "did they really give it to me" because I was absolutely symptomless. Then exactly 4 hours later, I got a bad headache, sun sensitive, and a bit nauseated. Tylenol took care of it, and I went about my day. Second shot day, slight fatigue. After RAI, they gave me zofran 8mg tablet, that melts under your tongue. I felt like I was close to vomiting about an hour later, but it never happened. Ate mostly clear liquids the first day. Just bored after that, isolating myself from family. Slept a lot. Could feel lumpy choking sensation in throat about 4 days later. Did not have the real sore throat until 2 weeks later. Bad taste started 2 weeks later. Water tasted like salt. The numb tongue, and bad taste lasted about three weeks. I tried to keep my routine, but spent much time feeling guilty in the lazy boy, and falling asleep. This fatigue lasted almost 3 months. Not much reserve in the tank. The docs told me it takes a while for your body to feel normal, as the RAI affects the marrow temporarily. Good luck.

Bcbelmont, that was exactly my reaction to the shots and I am still tired a week later.

Still feel ok after shot one. Shot 2 is today. What amount of RAI have you all received? I'm taking 50 on Wednesday and the doctor said I won't feel any different. Sounds not right....

mine was 150. and i had no ill effects except the sore jaw and just slight nausea but never vomited.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders