Thyrogen injection 7/22/13?

Anybody else getting their thyrogen shot today or am I going to be the only one with a sore rump? I'm kind of excited to have my scan, hoping I'll finally get some answers. Good luck to anyone else in the same boat this week (or any week!)

41 replies. Join the discussion

I had mine last week. Now hiding out in isolation. Missing my 7 month old like crazy!

I'm in the waiting room now, waiting for my first shot. Just had labs drawn. I can't wait for this to be over. I'm starting to stress.

Hang in there..1 week out of isolation after 150mci RIA and everyday seems better than the last. Want my life back PLEASE!

I had my injection this morning. Not sore or so far side effects. Tomorrow another and then Wed. Radioactive iodine. Isolation until the 29th when I get a body scan. Blood work in between which is strange since I'm suppose to be isolation.

I just got back from my first shot of the year. Oh Boy!!! Had an ultra sound too. I've not had a problem with a sore rump, but I get a really bad headache. Good luck and I hope all goes well.

Good luck to each of you. I'm on the LID and will get my injections and scan next week. Went to a wedding this past weekend and stayed on track - taking this as a positive sign.

Ok, so I definitely have the sore rump!!! I think it may have to do with the 2 hour car ride (maybe?). Making another loaf of bread to get me through the next couple of days. I don't think I'll be having RAI (had it last year) so I'm not planning on isolation. I wish you all the best of luck in your shots, LID, RAI, isolation, and anything else going on.

hello yes 2 shoot 3 days good luck

Yes had mine today and shot #2 tomorrow and rai on Wed, then in isolation for a week at home
My butt is tender and feeling tired yawning alot and coughing
I got really warm at first after the shot and took tylenol for the headache that was sneaking in

My Thyrogen is on this coming Wed and Thur 7/24 & 7/25 both at 3:45 PM and RAI on Fri 7/26. 2 weeks ago I asked my endo to email me the instructions regarding my medications, if I take or not my Levothyroxine and my High Blood pressure medications, what food to void or to eat, etc. I am 2 days from the Thyrogen appointment and still I don't have an answer from them. What instructions you received on that regard. I appreciate very much your response. I also have to drive back home, 2 hours, by myself. How soon you feel any sideeffect ie headaches, nauseas that would impair driving?
Thank you all. I am prarying for you and for me that everything goes well.

Hi Rosie- you REALLY need to get in touch with your doctor, treatments vary, but i can tell you what I was told. I was to start LID on 7/16, I got bloodwork this morning, my first thyrogen shot this afternoon. Tomorrow I take my meds in the morning, followed by a light breakfast, then I get the second shot and two hours later my tracer dose. On Wednesday I take my meds and have a light breakfst then have my WBS- and if the dr thinks I need RAI he'll let me know then.

That being said I know i have to fast the next two days before the tracer dose and scan, but because it's so late in the day (3pm) I can have something light in the morning.

I could have driven myself home if I had to, (also 2 hours) but once I got home I took a nap- honestly, I think it was more the drive out and back home then the injection, they said I shouldn't feel sleepy until later tonight or tomorrow, so I don't really know about that. Also, I like naps :). No nausea at all (knock on wood).

I had my first Thyrogen shot this morning. The nurse said I would feel horrible by the evening. Great.

I feel rather tired, but the strangest feeling is like my brain isn't working totally right. Like it's foggy. I don't feel sick, and my butt doesn't hurt, but I feel strange, like my brain is addled a bit. Sleepy.

Nurse suggested not going into work tomorrow, so I'm planning to take the day off. If I feel up to it after shot #2, I will go in.

I had mine today too! Surprisingly, I don't feel sore at all. Good luck with your scan!

Thank you Minix. That was so sweet of you. I hope you and everybody going thru this feel better. I am praying for you and all of us for a quick recovery.
Big hug,
Rosie

My rump was a little sore and I have a slight headache. I was a little queasy but I drank some 7UP and felt better. I asked the nurse today what to expect from the RAI and she said only about 4% get sick from the radiation. It's 50-50 on headaches from the shots though. Then I ran into someone at the supermarket who had this done 3 years ago. He said he felt fine after the RAI but then had to run to the bathroom. He didn't want to scare me but I told him I want to be prepared. Something weird he was told, wear old clothes for your RAI and throw them away when you get home. Anyone else hear this?

I was told to use paper plates and plastic utensils during isolation but a friend of my sister was told not to pollute the landfill just run the dishwasher twice.

I also asked the nurse about sucking on candy to help your saliva. She said they tell people not to the first two days but you can massage your face if you have swelling.

How often do you need to do the LID? Is it for every scan? I was dealing with the cancer one step at a time and didn't even think about what comes after this week.

I had RAI last year. I think it's a higher number than four percent. I thought i would be fine, the next day I had the dr call in a prescription for Zofran and once I took that the nausea went away. I didn't hear that about the clothes, but I did use old sheets for my isolation time and threw those out. I used disposable plates and utensils, it's up to you on where being environmental is on your list of priorities at the moment. I usually am, but while I was hypo and radioactive- frankly I didn't care. My dr told me not to suck on any candy, just drink tons of water- which I did and have not had any salivary problems at all, BUT I know some people swear by sucking on candy, I would follow your doctors instructions. Any time you need a WBS you will do LID (although some dr's think it is unnecessary). This is my one year scan- I'm not sure how often after this I will have to do it or what the norm is. Hope this helps!

I told the nurse all 4% must post on here.

I know this question is a little to late to ask but figure more is better then not enough
I got 2 shots today 1 on the left and the other on the right in the sciatic in my back I hope this nurse
know what she is doing as you know we go through alot of prep work for this and hoping she didn't ruin everything or is possible to ruin this and it not work out

I had my RAI last week. I did not get sick, and did not have any side effects. The isolation is hard. for me because I don't feel any different

I am having my shot tomorrow morning! Hang in there!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders