Synthroid and blood pressure meds

Does anyone out there take other medications at the same time as their synthroid. I take Triamtere/hctz and have been waiting to take it because I am taking my synthroid first thing in the morning. This has turned into me forgetting to take the BP med 2-3 times a week, and I'm thinking if I can take both at once that would be great!. Am also waiting for an answer on this from my endo, but wondering if anyone out there takes another med with their thyroid replacement hormone?

10 replies. Join the discussion

Well I have to admit I'm guilty. I take HCTZ along with Synthroid. Not sure that I should but I've done it for 6 years without any problem. No one ever told me not to *shrugs*

It depends on the med..for some medications it should be just fine. Vitamins and anything containing calcium or iron should not be taken within 4 hours of Synthroid (but having a glass of milk after an hour is fine).

I took those two together for 4 years. I took Armour, but I think the point is the same. Thankfully, I no longer need the diuretic (it was for Meniere's, not BP). I think it is important to take the Dyazide at the same time every day. I was not willing to take it at bedtime and spend the next 7-9 hours getting up to use the bathroom. It was my preference to take it when I woke up.

Perhaps your pharmacist might have some insight.

I agree talk with your pharmacist, they are more knowledgable about meds than docs are.

I take hyzarr BP med with mild diuretic, i was told to wait an hour, but also i was forgetting them. Along with the brain fog, so i got a pill box with 7 compartments, one for each day, and that is the ONLY way i know if i took my other pills or not..memory much worse since TT it seems.

The seven day pill box helped me too.

I have the seven day pillbox as well. It's just that it seems lately I'll be taking my Thursday synthroid and the little box for Wednesday still has the BP med in it!!! Can't believe this is so hard for me! Cabro, I hope you're Meniere's is not too bad and that's why you've stopped the Diazide. My husband has had it for many years now, and it hasn't been a walk in the park! My endo responded to my question about this and gave me the go ahead to give it a try taking both at once and we'll follow my level next month to see if it makes any difference. I'll check with a pharmacist as well. Thanks, guys!

i have 3 separate boxes thats how bad i am at forgetting..synthroid box, box for hour after synthroid and then vitamins for 4 hours after synthroid...this is not easy!!

I take my thyroid meds and inject Lantus at the same time, even though the insulin is supposed to alter the absorption rate, but I figure if I ALWAYS do the two at the same time and my TSH, etc. is in range, I'm good! :)

Ps, I take all my other meds with breakfast or lunch, and more at supper time... and more at bed time... too many pills...

I guess I will have to get one of those 7 day containers. I think I have taken my meds and then two hours later think did I take those and cannot remember if I did or not. But other things I can remember. This memory thing is strange.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders