Scheduled for a December TT? - check in!

Hi! My TT is scheduled for 12/19. I know that Indigo67 is scheduled for 12/11 and PurplePearls is scheduled for 12/18.

Do we have any other folks scheduled for December? We could have a little support thread and get out all our neuroses and check in on each other...

I would love that. :)

Reply Report post

1,182 replies. Join the discussion

Great idea!

Reply Report post

Indigo checking in here, will fill you in the whole way. Still nervous, and I need to stay off utube lol

Reply Report post

I wonder if it is just us or anyone else on the boards? It is kind of nice to know that the three of us are going through this at the same time.

I know that I need to stop obsessing about the surgery...still have weeks to go! :S

Reply Report post

No need to obsess. Surgery is the easiest. After, just don't talk too much. Get a humidifier. Drink alot. My surgeon said you can use
heating pad on your neck. Pain pills I used only 2 days.
Put a moisturizer or e oil on incision. Helps to keep soft and to heal.
Neck will be swollen but trust me it goes down. I have been crazy but it takes time. I had mine Oct 22 and wanted no pain and swelling gone the 22. Doesn't work that way and everyone is different.
My best to you all.
Have a great holiday enjoy with family. my motto now
going through breast cancer too 2 years ago is,
It is what it is and I will deal with it. Hope that helps. Worrying is not going to change anything and you are wasting your time
when you could be thinking of happier things. My opinion take what you need and leave the rest Great that you can share the experience with each other. I just found this site a few weeks ago.

Reply Report post

Thanks Jubbie, that is good advice. (((hugs)))

Reply Report post

Hugs back at you message me if you need to vent

Reply Report post

I am also scheduled for a thyroidectomy on December 19.

- Jen (KTJM3)

Reply Report post

Welcome to the December club ktjm3, not a good club to be in, but welcome to you just the same. (((hugs)))

Reply Report post

I will definately stay off You Tube. I think if I actually saw a video of it, it would scare me worse.

Reply Report post

Mine is on December 6. Good luck to all.

Reply Report post

Good luck to you wanderbrat, you seem to be first, please keep us updated. (((hugs)))

Reply Report post

I meet with the surgeon tomorrow. Looking like it will be December for me, as well. Good luck everyone.

Reply Report post

Welcome, Jen, Wanderbrat, and MamaLei!! We will all get through this together. :)

Reply Report post

Hello all: Good luck this month! Hopefully you all recovery without too much pain. Mine is not scheduled yet so I may be a January group. Surgeon' s office in October said it would be 2-4 months to schedule TT's! I had a whole bunch of tests done 2 years ago. The larger nodules (left side) were only 2cm two years ago ..Now they are 4 cm. plus (via ultrasound to esophagus ). Because they have grown this large surgeon did not bother with a FN biobsy this year. 2 years ago FNA was inconclusive.... also some nodules were cold 2 years ago. (not sure of proper terminology) I currently have great pain under my jaw bone (right side) that radiates up to my ear and there is even numbness on top of my skull ... What other tests, thyroid panels should be done pre surgery? Has anyone here had any lymph node neck mapping before surgery? I hear that the lymph nodes will be swollen post surgery any ways. Can they determine if there is lymph node involvement before surgery? Should I insist for a TOTAL thyroid panel to see if I have Hashimotos pre surgery? ...They only did TSH 3 months ago. I have not seen an ENDO this time. I just asked GP to do ultrasound to check thyroid because swallowing was a bit more difficult, and he sent me back to the surgeon whom also is great at FNA's
...Is it unreasonable to see an ENDO before surgery? The surgeon just said well they have to come out at some time so we are going to do them before they get any bigger. No other tests done except swallow test and ultrasound to throat only... I am a bit concerned. What should I insist on before Surgery? Thanks

Reply Report post

I guess I get to join the December group. Scheduled for Dec, 9th. Just trying to stay pre occupied to keep my mind busy. I'm not a big fan of surgery. But it's gotta be done. Single dad of 2 great kids. So I want to be here for them as long as possible. You guys all have a great day.. :)

Reply Report post

Scheduled for December 3rd! After mediastinoscopy a month ago, I am not looking forward to this one. More worried about after... Not sure if I will be on any thyroid meds after as they are planning for RAI with known metastisis to lymph nodes. They won't schedule RAI for at least 6 weeks though, after they do I 131 WBS, PET scan, and bone scan. No idea what to expect!!! Have to be up and functioning for my daughters first gymnastics meet of the year 2 weeks post op!

Reply Report post

I guess I should mention that planned surgery is TT with radical neck dissection... It's the radical neck dissection that has me a little freaked out. All I can think about is dissecting a worm back in high school!

Reply Report post

I'm new :-) I'm scheduled 12/9.

Reply Report post

Had a thyroglossal duct cyst removed 10/18. Never even gave it a thought that I might be told on my follow up that the lymph node they removed as a part of that surgery would be cancerous. Happenstance cancer discover.

Reply Report post

Pooch2 - I think an endocrinologist is a good idea. You will need to see one afterwards to monitor you and adjust your medication, so it seems to make sense to see about a referral to one.

I have had nodules for at least five years. They only checked them once and they were both about 2.5 cm at that time. After that, there was no mention of follow up needed. About two months ago my neurologist discovered a very low TSH level in me (hyperthyroid) and referred me to an endocrinologist. My options were RAI or surgery. Since I knew I had nodules, I opted for surgery. My endocrinologist ran a panel of thyroid blood work on me. My panel included T4 free, T3 free, TSH, TSI and Thyroid Ab panel. I think a lot of this had to do with the hyperthyroid part. He seemed more concerned about that than the nodules.

I met with the surgeon last week and he is ordering an updated ultrasound, EKG and blood work prior to surgery.
When I asked my surgeon about how he would know if lymph nodes were involved, he said he would send a frozen section down to pathology for biopsy while I was in surgery to help determine if he should take lymph nodes. He also said a lot of times he can tell by looking. He said he would be consulting with my endocrinologist to find out the correct dose of thyroid medicine to start me on after surgery and I would leave with a prescription for that when released.

Good luck with your procedure.

Reply Report post