RAI Today

I said goodbye to my little 6 month old baby this morning prior to my 50 mci dose of RAI. My DH is staying at a friend's house for the next 5-7 days. We are taking extra precautions and our baby girl will return 7-10 days later. I feel surprisingly good.

I did a WBS earlier this week and there were two spots that lit up. We ultra sounded them to watch for changes in 6 months. I will start Synthroid tomorrow and can return to my normal diet tomorrow also... Although I doubt that I'll cook so I'll finish off some LID leftovers. I'm pretty sure I'll have a delivery of sushi and edamame in a few days.

14 replies. Join the discussion

i have edamame in the freezer and sat, when i can go off the lid, we have plans for sushi and frozen yogurt.

i also am having a grilled cheese for breakfast. haha

missing dairy like crazy. good luck.

hi.i wish all goes well and you get a clean scan.always r.

Good luck, ajm - hope all goes well!

Good luck with everything. I'm having some vegetarian pizza on Monday or Tuesday after my WBS. I cant wait. I've been on LID for almost 4 weeks now and I want some cheese and iced coffee.

Ugh let me know how it goes. I think the hardest part will be leaving my two kids. Did they tell you 7-10 days?

I was told different times by different doctors. The minimum time was 5 days for my baby and I'm not comfortable with that. We are doing 7 days for my husband and 7-10 days for my baby.

I feel good. Tired but good.

So you are staying at your house?

Yes, I am at home. My husband can stop by for short visits as long as we maintain a 6 ft radius. I just go in the other room while he gets what he wants/needs. And he doesn't use the bathroom. If we had another bathroom he could have stayed home and just stayed in separate parts of the house but that was the clincher for us.

hi. hope you found your books for your iso.wishing you all the best.r

Oh, that is so hard to leave a little one for that amount of time. But you sound strong. Maybe you could make tapes and have someone play them for your baby so she would at least hear your voice.

I will be in your shoes in October. Two little ones. Surgery was nothing compared to being away from my kids.

We have been doing Face Time with my baby, 2-3 times a day. It's funny because she tries to smack the phone to touch me. She said her first word a few weeks ago, "Dada." But hasn't said it for a while now. During our first Face Time, she saw me and got a huge smile and said "Dada" and Grandma corrected her and said "no, that's momma." Then she said "mumma" and squealed. It was so cute. She's said it a couple times since. I can't wait to hear it in person. She is 6.5 months.

She will return on Saturday, which is day 10. We plan to keep our distance at that point for another week. My husband will lift her, carry her (which is helpful anyways because I have significant pain and weakness due to damage to my Spinal Accessory Nerve from my TT). If I need to feed her, I will prop her on a pillow and give her a bottle from the side and just not let her sit or lay on me.

I got 50 mCi and the half life is 8 days. I don't know how dangerous 25 mCi is or 12 mCi.

Good luck prayers to you

Hope all goes well for you and the 10 days fly by. I have a 6 month old girl too and will be doing RAI in early December. Sucky timing to need treatment when your little one is still so little. I keep reminding myself that she's young enough that she won't remember it and it will just seem like a fun "vacation" from the house :) I love your face time idea because I definitely plan on using Skype when it's my turn.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders