Radioactive Iodine Treatment

Hopefully next week I can have my first treatment. Should I expect any weird side effects from it?

13 replies. Join the discussion

First treatment? Do you knoe what dose?

A lot of people have problems with nausea. If your dr offers you a prescription for Zofran, take it. I ended up having to have them call something in the next day.

I dont know how they do it now, i had mine 10 yrs ago and i wasnt able to hold my children, fix their food or be up close to people. It sucked...

I had a hefty dose, 162mCi. I spent 4 days in bed. I felt a lot like I had the flu but not a heavy case, so I rested and slept. My cheeks swelled up as a result of salivary gland inflammation and my endo put me on steroids for a week to help. About 2 weeks later the inside of my nose got raw, bloody and crusty. I saw 2 ENTs and the second one helped with an antibacterial ointment. After 4 days I felt a lot better and was out and about on day 6. I wish you a successful treatment and few to no side effects. With a lower dose, many people have no side effects.

I had 150mCi. Felt a little lethargic. Very minor swelling and pain in my salivary glands. Other than that - no problems. Good luck!

I have my RAI next Wednesday and this helpful to know what to expect. I haven't been given any information, only to come in for Thyrogen on Monday and Tuesday, the RAI on Wednesday, and a scan and possibly more RAI on Thursday.

I had 75 mci and I had no side effects at all. I mostly stayed in my basement away from everyone for 5 days. Good Luck ladies!!

I had 100 mCi and did not have any side effects except maybe a little more tired, or I just slept more because I was bored. What sucks is being away from my 7 month old baby. Only 2 more days and I can see him :-)

I had 150mci 12 days ago. Ask for nausea meds. I didn't have them but called the next day and got some. Problem, if it can't come out your mouth, it will find another path. Two days of diarrhea, fighting with a" burned" mouth feeling at this point and have lost taste (ironically except for chocolate) . Good luck!!!

I will definitely ask for nausea meds. Running CC, how many days did you have to be away from the baby? My girls (10, 7, & 3) are spending the week with my parents and supposed to be coming home Sunday (RAI is on Wednesday).

I had a total of 172mci and I highly recommend anti-nausea meds, I have salivary problems still and it's been almost 9 months, lost a lot of weight, very lethargic and know my joints and bones hurt. everybody is different and everybody has a different reaction. zolfran at 8mg is good along with eating lemons(helps secrete your salivary glands). I was in complete isolation for 4 days in the hospital and after I was released I had to stay away from pregnant women and kids for 8 days. I would ask your endo and radiologist if there are restrictions you have to follow.

After I had my RAI treatment, I lost my taste for about 2 weeks; everything tasted really badly, even water.

jlc1125 - I was told with my does it only needed to be 4 days away from my baby. I wanted to be extra safe because they use to make everyone stay in the hospital, now most do not, so my husband and I decided on a week away. But that is because he is so young, we have thyroid issues run in the family, and I had the means to be able to stay away. My husband's grandfather passed away a few months ago, so I am staying at his house away from everyone.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders