paralyzed left vocal cord

I had my TT done 7/11/13. Since then I had my collagen injection. My voice improve very little, I can't help but to frustrated, helpless, scared and tried to keep my faith strong. Although I'm now able to eat solid food, choke less, and able to cough a little. Could somebody help and give me some advice on this.

12 replies. Join the discussion

I am 59 years old, and very vocal. Time is going to help you. I was just as scared as you are right now. I lost my right side and only had a bit of a raspy sound after surgery. I could only eat very soft foods. Liquids made me choke. Mashed potatoes got stuck, even using gravy. I can now eat almost anything, and drinking as well. A speech therapist will work with you on tricks to learn to help you swallow . Ask your doctor if one is available for you. Time does make it better.

Thank you for responding, so how long ago since you had your surgery and did you see improvement with your voice. I am also looking for a speech therapist, thanks for the recommendation.

I'm a speech therapist.
Liquids will be the most difficult since they slip down the quickest.

Try turning your head to the side that is paralyzed, then swallow. Or, try to chuck your chin and swallow. If neither of those help, try them both together...make sure you have your head in position before you swallow.

For exercise its good to make yourself cough, also try clearing your throat.
Highly recommend going to see a speech pathologist face to face! Good luck

Ok, thank you so much. I will follow up.

This happened to me as well. I could barely talk and barely breath - PLUS... they only took out half my thyroid bc during surgery the pathology report showed no cancer.... then 10 days later I got the call... I was not able to get the other half out until or IF my voice chord came back to life bc if the other voice chord went paralyzed during surgery I would need a tracheotomy. So I had to live knowing I potentially had cancer in me that was continuting to grow. All that said, I don't really have any advice on how to get your voice back but more of having HOPE. For me it took 6 months to get my voice chord back. I went to the best docs in the country and they all said the same thing, "Be patient, you'll know within a year if it's going to come back or not." Well, it did and for most people, it normally does. So, I'll tell you the same thing - be patient. Try to not focus on it as much as you can. It will most likely come back and you will be right back to normal soon. :)

Hi there..... i did my tt in april 2013, and my left vocal chord was paralyzed too....I had no voice for about three months and then suddenly in July it just came back to normal..... but since then i have difficulty breathing when i am not at rest. Guess it needs more time, or at least i really hope so !!

Thank you andram and KBWE, I' ll to keep hope alive and to have faith, be positive...!!!

My surgery was on January 22, 2013. My voice is still very different than it used to be. It too a couple of months to be able to eat better. But I remember adding foods gradually. One night, I was so proud of myself. I baked a soft meatloaf, creamy mashed potatoes with gravy, and winter squash. This was a meal the whole family could enjoy. I was having too much discomfort to the throat, I had to stop eating. I was so disappointed. But I have graduated to eating almost everything now. Time will improve things for you.

I had the permanent medialization surgery a year after my TT. I had an injection 6 months after to help stop the choking and make my voice a little stronger. The ENT recommends you wait a full year before having surgery because sometimes it takes the nerve that long to come back if it was a bad stretch.

My damage to my right vocal cord was permanent so I had the surgery. It was weird because I was awake for it so the ENT could hear my voice adjust to give me enough implant to improve my voice but not interfere with my airway. In the recovery room I could drink a full glass of cold water without choking for the first time in over a year!

I had speech therapy afterwards to learn how to work my paralyzed muscle next to my cord. My voice is much stronger and I can hold a note for much longer now. I used to have to speak in short choppy sentences because I would run out of air from the leaking.

My left vocal fold (cord) was also paralyzed after my April 25 TT. About a month later there was movement, but still bowed. Early on my speech pathologist also taught me a trick to hold my breath before swallowing liquids. It seems to help. As for my voice, I still have no pitch or range. My voice tires easily after talking in long sentences. It's definitely lower. My SLP (Speech, Language Pathologist) discovered that my superior laryngeal nerve has had some trauma or damage, as well as the recurrent earlier on. The thyroid cartilage isn't rocking as it should be, hence resulting in lower pitch. I'll be having a videostroboscoby next month through an ENT my SLP works with. That should give her a better idea of what's going on in there and help her with a continuing treatment plan. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my laryngeal nerves are temporarily disturbed and WILL heal within a year following surgery. I have to admit, it's hard staying positive sometimes. :/

Dear Dereth, I m sorry to hear that it took so long , but I'm glad that you got it fixed and feeling better. Thank you for the ensight, I appreciate you much.

Dear Linsifer, I'm getting myself a speech therapist, maybe it help. Although little by little, I noticed myself with less anxiety, able to tolerate in small sip of thin liquid and able to eat certain foods. It is to stay positive, but I'm trying. Its gotta get better...!!!! Thanks

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders