Panic / anxiety attacks

Does anyone suffer from panic attacks?
I had my thyroid removed 10 yrs ago and have been on synthriod but recently I started having anxiety and panic attacks and I wondered if it could be related to my thyroid?

My docors put me on cytomel and synthriod now but that's not helping...

Just wondering if anyone else out there has suffered from panic/anxiety attacks and what has helped them?

13 replies. Join the discussion

Cytomel might be making the panic/anxiety attacks worse... how are your thyroid levels? Being too suppressed can also cause anxiety.

I have suffered from anxiety/panic attacks since I was 5. In my early twenties my PCP put me on Prozac and Klonopin. The Prozac didn't work so then was put on Lexapro and finally Zoloft. Now with Zoloft and Klonopin life has been pretty good. I would suggest, if you chose to go on meds, to go to a psychiatrist who deals only in psych medication and get an evaluation so that you are put on the correct meds. I also see a psychologist every week as well. I don't know what I would have done without her in the last year.

Have you had anxiety/panic attacks during the 10 years post TT? Also what is your TSH at? Mine is at .034 right now and I'm quite anxious at times. Also, is anything going on right now in your life that is stressful?

Have you had your TSH tested recently? When I went hypo for 8 weeks (mistake) after TT and before RAI, I had extreme anxiety and panic attack that ended in a emergency room visit (mistake). My TSH was 80....
I was told that I wouldn't metabolize anti anxiety meds properly while hypo.
Now I am surpressed at .018 but feeling much better and as far as anxiety goes, I have none. For now.
I must walk 3 miles every day and eat well and work and be social to feel anything like "normal".
Do you have anyone you can talk to and vent? Seems to work as well as anything. For me.

I work in a potentially high stress area of the medical field and have noticed that I do have "over the top anxiety" during stressful moments. And that is new for me since being on thyroid replacement meds, and a little bit disturbing since I'm not used to not being "the calm one". I am blaming it on the high does of synthyroid I'm on....It sounds like others have also had this experience.
I stay away from caffiene which does make the anxiety worse. I also have found that exercise helps a little.
I keep hoping that with time, things will improve, but I am going to mention this to my endocrinologist when I see her next week.

My TSH is at .886 i dont know if thats high or low or what that means?
I dont lead a stressful life and i am usually a very calm person, but i just cant get rid of the panic attacks so i thought perhaps its related to my thyroid issues?

I'm a low risk patient so my endo said she would keep me at .5 to 1, however, my daughter is a high risk patient and she must be kept at .1 to .5. Your .886 is fine if your low risk but probably too high if you're a high risk patient. Where did your endo/doctor say (s)he wanted to keep your TSH at? I would definitely talk with your doctor and ask about the Cytomel as "theresat858" suggested and tell your doctor about you panic attacks. I know they are no fun. Hang there.

have you checked your blood pressure and heart rate? get a digital cuff and record it 3 times a day. maybe your synthroid dose is too high. if not, a beta blocker will help (atenolol in 12.5 or 25 mg). i had those issues. i suffer from anxiety sometimes too. but this wasn't anxiety. it was from a higher than "normal" dose of synthroid. after my tsh went below zero, they lowered my synthroid to 112mcg. i feel much better. exercise and water and healthy food help me.

When I get super hyperthyroid, I tend to sleep less than 3-5 hours a night and find myself crazy "reactive" to normal life events. My kids have become good readers of my current medication doses and lab values....they keep me sane by commenting now and then about my over the top reactions....But I cannot have med changes at this time since I am having troubles with rising Tg and nonavid RAI.... One positive is that I get tons of work done in the evening. That is my most productive time since I can't seem to sit still or even try to sleep until after 12 or 1 in the morning ( I have to get up for work at 5). I get my labs drawn in 2 weeks, I have a feeling my TSH is 0. My last one was .01 and I felt fine there. Sigh....this whole process is frustrating to say the least.

remember, being hyper for extended period of time (over a month) can cause your heart and body to work too much. we still need rest. atenolol really helped me with the elevated heart rate and blood pressure. my body was so exhausted from being hyper. that is not good for our hearts or minds.

After my TT, I definitely was "triggered" into anxiety attacks way more easily. I would find myself with my heart racing and my palms sweating during my son's basketball games -- completely uncalled-for! I talked to my endo about going on anti-anxiety meds and she refused until we'd tried lowering my synthroid dose. We lowered my dosage just a tiny bit (I started taking half a pill one day a week) and I haven't had an anxiety attack since.

Our thyroid hormone levels ABSOLUTELY impact our anxiety levels. Talk to your endo!!

I can't say that I am having anxiety attacks, I just seem more reactive (get upset or angry faster). I just checked by BP and heart rate (I'm a nurse:0) 117/76 and 56 heart rate...Crazy huh? Again, I see endo in about 3 weeks..labs are drawn the week before visit. I promise if it gets worse, I will call her before then. Thanks for your input ladies!

nursekristi, i had the synthroid induced anxiety attacks, they were not the same as mental induced anxiety attacks. glad your numbers are good! they went away on the lower dose of synthroid. i know what you mean...i have been less patient and more irritable and cranky since tt. i think it still had to do w/synthroid dose but also from all we have and are going through-mentally, emotionally, physically. i still don't sleep more than 6 hours and usually wake up before that. i noticed that if i don't eat at appropriate times, even with balanced healthy meals and snacks, i react differently-for the worse-like the hulk :{

The Hulk...I don't think I will mention that character description to my family. I'm afraid it would "stick" Thanks again for your input/support.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders