New scar cover up options

I am 1 week out from my third surgery and my scar is fairly long (probably about 6 inches) and raised this time around. I am in my brothers wedding in three weeks and have to wear a nice strapless dress. I know it is totally a vanity thing, but I would like to try to disguise my scar a little bit. Any suggestions?

Can't wear a scarf or necklace for this one. :-)

21 replies. Join the discussion

How about a thin flat ribbon that matches or complements the color of the dress?

i'm almost 4 weeks out of a TT and neck dissection. I think the ribbon idea is the best bet, but I have to admit, I think I could cover up the TT part of my scar with makeup if I needed to. It started off as raised and red, but it's now fairly flat and almost flesh colored. Just would be worried about the chemicals over my still healing scar, I am still not allowed to even use sunscreen on it, so...

I love the ribbon idea. Maybe going to a professional makeup artist who specializes in airbrushing and tattoo cover up? Also, I would talk to the bride/groom and see what they suggest.

Can you wear your hair down, if its long? My hair kinda curls in toward my neck so it hides all but the center of my throat. A little makeup on it and it isn't as noticeable unless you know it's there.

Maybe some kind of necklace, like a chocker type. Also, try a Cosmetologist, …

I found this wonderful, flesh colored mesh bandage that was stretchy from the drug store. It comes in a big square that can be cut. I cut it to cover just my scar and it covered it well.

You should talk to your brother and tell him how you feel. That you would be more comfortable wearing a scarf ect to cover up your scar. I don't see any reason why he would object to this.

Your scar is a part of you just like any freckles, gray hair or blemishes. I know what it is like to be self conscious of it, but sometimes the more you try to hide something the more obvious it becomes. Wear your scar with pride...it tells a story of who you are and how far you've come. Be proud of being a survivor and people will appreciate your journey all the more. I 'm sure your brother is thrilled to have YOU, scar and all, there to celebrate his special day!

marywinona - you have really, really helped me - thank you.
amykmo .. hope you have fun at your brother's wedding - cheers!

Definitley a "Marie Antoinette" style ribbons tied at the front/side or back. Have a look at these Google images for ideas: https://www.google.com/search?q=marie+antoinette+ribbon+choker&client=firef ox-a&hs=L8P&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Th_ wUZLDGIrOswaLw4DgBA&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=927

Check Etsy for some great ideas too!

You could also use lace, depending on what the dress looks like. Just be careful with thinner ribbon. It could slide and bring attention to the scar which you are trying to avoid. In that case if you have thinner ribbon, use clear double sided theatrical tape to hold it in place.

;)

This one: http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/129888423/20-off-blue-velvet-rhinestone-chok er?ref=related-3

is really pretty. You could make this yourself!

Dear Dec12,
You are more than welcome! Thank you for saying so!!!

i had a wedding to go to after only 3 weeks and lucked out with a triple string of peals - the top row was like a choker and rested right along the scar -- it hid it pretty well. check out macys or kohls - any dept store - they were not alot.

MaryWinona... you are a treasure. Your encouragement brought tears to my eyes. I say Amen. Amykmo, you go rock that dress and be the gorgeous woman you are!

Dear KellyRaesin,

That is so kind of you to say so. Scars are our body's way of protecting us...much like a bandage. Remember having your "boo-boos" covered by a band-aid when you were little? Hopefully, they came with hugs and kisses AND all was right with the world, even if only for a few minutes.

I used the mepiform silicone strips to cover and heal my scar. It comes in a sheet and you cut it to just cover your scar. Not only does it cover it with a flesh-colored strip, but it helps it heal better and is barely noticeable -- less visible than a ribbon, in my opinion. I wore those for months and have almost no visible scar. It also protects it from the sun. I wore it 24/7 the first several months. You can find it online. We suggest that to many of our group members.

kind of going off topic here, but I see a lot of people talking about their scars, and I'm very curious that I don't seem to have one.
Had a TT and neck dissection in January. surgery went badly, tumor was around the left RLN so it had to be cut, and surgeon said he could not even find the right RLN, turns out it must have been cut too. I had to have a tracheotomy, just got the trach removed a month ago. I've got this big ugly dimple in my neck where the trach was, but no other scar.
I just really hope that my surgeon didn't go with a smaller incision than necessary, just to avoid a scar. I wonder if he had made a bigger incision if he would have had more success identifying my right RLN and been able to avoid severing it.

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you.

I wear mine proudly and never tried to hide it. I call it my "battle wound".

There's a woman on etsy who makes crocheted butterflies and puts them on
ribbons to go over our scars. I have two myself, which I have worn, though I
guess my neck must be bigger than most as I had to get an extension chain.
They come in a bunch of different colors and weren't too expensive. I think the
proceeds go to thyca in some way.

best
Irri

Keep using Mederma on scar and maybe a little concealer.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders