Natural disasters and no medication

Ok, I know this is kind of a crazy question, but I've become a worry wart ever since I've started this thyca journey. So please humor me!

What if there was a natural disaster and I could not get any Synthroid. How long can someone go with no thyroid and no medication before something goes seriously wrong? You are the only guys I could ask such a question to!

22 replies. Join the discussion

Any time that a person is dependent on a medication I think it is natural to feel vulnerable and fear not having access to it. I don't know how long we can go without Synthroid; it seems that the experiences of people on this site with going hypo have resulted in wildly varying TSH levels at the same point of time in their withdrawl. My guess is that length of time before death would vary also.

I keep a little "disaster kit" at work and in it have some Synthroid (and my other medications) and things I would want if I were stuck at work. I decided to do that after I realized that I spend a huge amount of time at work. I pray that I never have to be in the situation of not having my those medications...

OMG!! I thought the same thing! Like if on castaway, what if you were trapped on a deserted island how long could you go without meds? Providing you had survivor instincts and could fish and make fire etc lol. I don't think it's more than a month without becoming near death depleted.

I am not sure how long one can last, but my brother in law who had his thyroid removed as a child went a year and a half without any Synthroid when he was 37 years old - but I don't recommend it. He truly did have a death wish.

I agree with DaMom.... it is very important for you to have your very own emergency kit-no matter how silly this sounds to some. We live in an area that is very prone to floods-our homestead itself does not flood, but if we should be away from home and a flash flood hits we cannot get to our home without crossing over a bridge or low/high water crossing. I took a nice backpack & put necesary items in it...ex. 1 change clothes, 1 pair shoes, waterproof writing paper/pen, waterproof matches, emergency heat blanket, rain poncho, water purification tablets, small first aid kit, 3 bottles water, energy bars, gum, germex and 1 MONTH OF SYNTHROID. I keep this in my vehicle as there have been times that we have gone to the supermarket and then found ourselves trying and praying that we could get through the crossing before they flooded out.
I highly suggest you and those you care about to do the same--again I know this sounds silly to many, but I would rather be silly then to be stranded.
Raye Raye I CAN NOT even imagine going a year and a half....I had to go a little over 4 months between my TT and my thyroid replacement(synthroid) and I know the horrible physical pain my body was in during those months--I truly can not imagine 1 1/2 years.
(I told my best friend that I write everyday in my THANKFUL journal and the day I do not write, she was to count back to Aug. 25th (the day I had my TT, then the total is the amount of days you can live without a Thyroid or replacement-of course it was our joke and laughed- Laughing always seemed to help.
pumagal-I hope you do think about doing this at a level that works for your lifestyle. I hope this info. does help
jkmammie

Thanks so much for putting into words the fear we all have probably thought of at one time or another but because of all else that we have gone through, we have just left it on the shelf and didn't talk about it. I guess it is hard to admit sometimes that we are soooo vunerable now. Thanks also to all of you who have offered valuable suggestions for us to follow so that this will be one less concern we will have.

Thank you all SO much! I know I can always count on you guys to have the answers AND not think a question is silly.

I have an emergency kit in my car (stay at home mom, so I don't "work") but never thought to put medication in it. I have never been dependent on medication before this past May. I will definitely remedy that situation! Thank you all again, I really appreciate it :)

I've had the exact same thought!
I love the emergency kit idea.

Be careful about leaving the meds in your car, the heat will make them ineffective and could cause some medications to go bad. I carry a bag with me every where, either my purse, my work bag, my gym bag. Something. So I have a little medication pouch that moves from bag to bag so I do not have to leave them in the car.

I have some meds at work, in my purse, at my parents house. Places where I might be stuck. The Synthroid has a long expiration date so I figured I would switch them every 6 months. I took the entire bottle of the old lower dose I was on and left it at my parents. Even though the dose is too low I have about 67 pills left and figured if something happened to my house and we had to evacuate it would be better than nothing.

I've thought the same thing! The other day I was watching Lost and found myself worrying, what if I was on a deserted island without my glasses and my Synthroid! I don't every admit to these thoughts because I think I'm crazy. Oh to know other people have the same thoughts.

My Synthroid has been adjusted so many times that I have multiple prescriptions. I keep them just in case, knowing I can double up, triple up, to get to my 150mcg dose. I'll definitely put an emergency kit in the office, great idea!

Hi to everyone... One thing I wanted to say was to everyone that keeps medications in their car or at work remember its VITAL to keep your medications at or above room temperature. If you do not, they will loose their potency and will be nothing more than a sugar pill!! You could live a long time w/out your meds, but I know personally missing one dosage for me makes me feel bad immediately.... I say try not to worry about things you have no control over.. Trust in the lord and you will be just fine...

Here is the link to the article... --> http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroiddrugstreatments/a/drugsinsummer.htm

I plan to get a year's supply and rotate it out so that I always have a bunch of extra (my parents are physicians and are getting this for me). I also have some in the various places I go, and a back up in my purse -- even if it might get hot/be less effective, a less effective pill is better than no pill since I can tell if I even get a little bit less a given day. (I missed taking my pill last Thursday; noticed it after getting up, and tried to wait 2 hrs then take it, then ate lunch an hour later. Absorption was significantly less than when I take it in the middle of the night and I could tell).

Please allow me 1 more very impotant tip for any lady who carries a purse/handbag, or for the men that may carry sometype of backpack/messenger bag...when you get into your vehice take the strap of the purse/bag and put your seatbelt through it, then just put th seatbelt on as you normally would, now you bag is right there next to you---not to sound negitive, just prepared, if your should find yourself in anytype of vehicle accident your bag wil be right there with you and not flying all around your vehicle---I always keep 4 of my synthroid and all my emergency information in a clear/see through
coin-like purse, so the E/R persons would not have to go "digging" to find my medical info.
You might want to give this a try.....from "Anal Annie" as my sonslike to call their crazy mother.
jkmammie

I too have this worry. My question is since Synthroid is a prescription, how do you get an extra one month (or more) supply? In New York every prescription order is computerized, and they only will give a new dose of your Synthroid prescription exactly one month after the last. I can't get a two months supply. How do all of you get extra months worth?

I guess it depends on your coverage because my insurance will do ninety day but not monthly for chronic conditions.

Karenann, short of having parents with prescription pads (lucky Theresa), I have found two ways to stockpile Synthroid. Just like Abbiee, I have a lot of synthroid left from dosage changes. Since I want to rotate stock, you should see the pill splitting that goes on to try to make my current dose:)
I also asked my endo if he had any samples - he gave me about a month's worth that was nicely blister-packed. Fortunately, I don't live in New York; all I have to worry about is my insurer not refilling until just before my prescripion runs out. I try to order just as soon as allowed and manage to get a few extra day's worth that way, too.

A emergency kit is a great idea, but I would put it at a friends house that is a few miles away. If its in your car and a natural disaster hits you could lose your car. I really think a bit away is a good idea.

Pharmacists, doctors, & insurance companies understand that synthroid is not a drug people abuse and that it is something that we need. They have been willing to work with me to sell me pills without a prescription, or transfer a prescription from another pharmacy when I was travelling and forgot my pills. Or you could probably go to an Urgent Care type place and get a new prescription if your pharmacy was flooded. This might alleviate some fears if you are in a minor type of disaster that doesn't leave you stranded on an uninhabited island. My insurance lets me refill certain prescriptions before the 30 days are up; and synthroid is one of the prescriptions I can refill 10 days early, so perhaps that can help some people to acquire an emergency supply.

I forgot mine on a weekend trip recently. Luckily my pharmacy is statewide and there was a location nearby. I asked them for a refill and when they asked why I told them what was up. They just gave me the two pills and said have a nice weekend.

There are definitely a lot of good ideas on this blog ....in addition to Synthroid I have to take Rocaltrol and calcium citrate daily. I asked my Endo what would happen if I had the stomach flu or something and can't take my meds - especially my calcium. He said I would have 1-2 days. I asked "Before what?" He said because I have no parathyroid glands I would be in full tetany and I would be in the hospital getting an IV of calcium. Nice. I am thankful that calcium citrate is over the counter but the Rocatrol isn't. Scary times but I keep calcium on hand at the office, in my purse and at home. I laughed and told him that I guess I can't just run off to a two week safari in Africa that easy then (like that has ever been a possibility before). Keep smiling.

Thanks to everyone for putting this new worry in my brain !!! I guess in the back of my mind I've been aware of the fact that I need the Synthroid in order to stay alive but I guess I may have been in denial. Actually, I have to take so many meds I guess I just looked at it as one more.
Shelleyo ---- I understand your problem. I only have one parathyroid so I also have to take lots of calcium and calcitriol. Last time I saw my endo, he said the calcium level was below normal but at least I hadn't ended up in the ER ---- what a pleasant prospect. That's already happened once and I'd rather not go through that again.
I'm just so tired of taking pills ---- take blood pressure and cholesterol to conteract the Synthroid and being slightly hyper, take potassium (why?). My biggest fear, if I leave home for a few days, is forgetting my meds. I think that's a great idea about the emergency kit but I'd need a small suitcase for everything or a really large tote bag.
Anyway, thanks for the ideas, even though I had dreams about it last night --- running out of meds . Now I guess I'll try to stockpile them.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders