Natural cleaner and RAI cleanup? Help please

When cleaning up for RAI, does anyone know if it is ok to use a vinegar and water solution and will that clean up enough or does it need a soap product added to it?

I know that bleach is out of the question.

Thanks everyone, going hypo starting tomorrow, so trying to pre plan and get alot of stuff done and questions asked while brain still functioning.

16 replies. Join the discussion

Check out Dr. Ain's website. He basically says that some of the cleaning is overkill. The radioactivity dissipates in a few days. I think a lot of the concern regarding this is the medical profession's desire to limit any liability. I don't think any of them really know the facts on this, just like they are clueless about side effects of RAI! I will be inpatient for the first two nights/three days so I am not too worried about contamination. Pup will be boarded and hubby will be downstairs for the remainder of the week. Good luck!

You're lucky to be admitted first 24-48 hours. I will be away from husband for 8-10 days until first follow-up scan after RAI, so 1 half life will be done, then seperate bathroom and bedroom for another week, just to be safe and another half life done.

Biomed do you know the answer to this?

Just water is fine....

Why can't you use bleach?

somehow it interacts with the radioactive iodine and can become more airborne. That is my understanding, if anyone knows anything more specific please share.

How about Lysol wipes for the bathroom and such. Are these okay?! I am also somewhat stressing about the cleaning after RAI

Lysol should be fine, as long as there is no chlorine in them. Be cautious with toilet bowl cleansers as many of them use chlorine.

Hi- I asked for a cleaner from the RAI technicians and radiologists when we went for the pre-RAI scan and tracer dose last month- they poured a small amount into a cup (from a bottle of what they used in the office). I am not sure what the name of the liquid cleaner was. They also showed me a spray bottle of Count Off which the techs also used in the hospital lab offices for surface clean up.

http://www.perkinelmer.com/Catalog/Family/ID/COUNTOFF%20Surface%20Cleaner

They told us that unless my husband vomited within 48 hours of the dose or had a urine spill- we should not need it. A friend of mine who is a physician assistant, suggested Bind It- which is available online. Looks like several hospitals/labs use this product.

http://www.labtechinc.com/Home_files/BB-Bluer.pdf

The radiologist told us not to worry since most of the radioactivity was going into the sewer system- I was still concerned. Although, one of the radiologist who worked with my husband during the RAI was pregnant- and she was not concerned about being in the room when the dose was administered or the follow-up scan review!!

We boarded our small dog for 5 days and my husband was isolated (at home with private bathroom) for a week.

We were told by the hospital's nuclear medicine staff/radiologists that bleach changes the structure of the radioactive iodine and that it then becomes airborne---that bleach should NOT be used for any clean up of any suspected "contaminated" areas. My husband's RAI was last month.

So what did most people use? Just soap and water? I was going to go with Lysol but thinking now it might not be a good idea.

I was going to use vinegar and water and add a little castile liquid soap to it.

Water is the only thing you need. Bind it is for volumes of liquid.you can't clean radiation.you can only dilute it.

I was told to use soap and water in the cleanup. And to clean anything that could have bodily fluids on it because that is where the radioactivity is contained. That includes urine, sweat, saliva, and feces. The cleanup should be done before others use the item or facilities.

But do you guys think vinegar would be ok, diluted with water? I use it to clean off my counters and stove?

I don't think that vinegar will hurt anything but its not needed.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders