My pill case is missing from hotel. Ok to take Synthroid at 4 pm ?

I'm staying a couple nights in a hotel and brought my Synthroid with me. Arrived yesterday. I took my pill this morning (Saturday) before eating, as usual. I left the pill case on the sink counter and just now noticed it's missing. I looked everywhere! Can't find it at all. I'm not sure if housekeeping accidentally brushed it off into the trash or picked it up and kept it. Sunday's dose was in the case, which is a half a pill. The rest are all 125 mg. I won't be able to take one now until I get home around 4:00 pm. I planned on eating lunch around Noon before leaving around 1 pm. If I don't eat again until I get home will my stomach be empty enough when I take it? I don't want to go without eating all day and I have a 3 hour drive. I've never missed a dose in the almost 7 months I've been on Synthroid. I heard it stays in the system for awhile. I'm very suppressed at .07 as of September. Please advise!

15 replies. Join the discussion

You will be fine. Take it when you get home, 2+ hours after eating. I learned to carry an extra dose in the little pill case I keep in my purse. The only problem with that is in the summer it is exposed to temperature changes, so I throw it out and replace it from time to time. Sorry your case disappeared.

yes, it is ok to take it - ditto cabro:)

I've been on Synthroid about 2 years now and have gotten increasingly cavalier about when I take my pills and combining it with food before an hour has gone by. I don't do it all the time, but frequently (4 times a week) eat breakfast before an hour has gone by or take the pill before going to bed. I haven't noticed any changes in energy.

Thanks so much! Hopefully, it will be about 4 hours after I eat. This morning I again took this room apart looking for that little pill box. It's nowhere to be seen. I know exactly where I left it on the counter. Makes me wonder if the housekeeper thought it was some type of "drug". Or maybe she just liked the cute, little divided pill case. Or it simply was accidentally brushed into the trash can. Stupid me, I should have put it back in my suitcase. Fortunately, I wasn't so careless when we flew back East in August. Those pills were guarded like gold. At least I'm less than a 3 hour drive from home this time. Thank you again! It just feels strange not taking it first thing in the morning. I feel like I'm missing part of my clothing or something! :)

I carry a little pill case on my keys so this doesnt happen. It helps.

Just take it as soon as you are able. You are so suppressed that this half pill in the large scheme of things is not a huge issue. Get right back on track tomorrow.
dj

Ladies please be sure that you carry your meds in the bottle from the pharmacy when you leave your house. Laws in most states make it a misdemeanor to carry prescribed drugs in any other way. Depending on the drug it can also be a felony. I'm just saying it would be a shame to be pulled over and have some brain fog and answer a question slow, wrong, etc and give the officer pause to question your behavior. If he searches your purse, pockets of clothing or vehicle and finds drugs in a pill box, travel pill case (there are so many cute ones) even in a sandwich baggie. You could be detained and humiliated while the officer figures out what you have. Thyroid pills are not the high crime pills. But a lot of us take meds for other things. Pain meds, anti anxiety , sleeping meds, antidepressants.etc. If you have a couple pain pills and a couple anxiety pills in a flowers pill box because it is easier to carry that in your purse than the whole prescription bottle from the pharmacy. It might make trouble for you that you don't want. Better safe then sorry.

So, if I want to carry illegal drugs, all I have to do is put them in a prescription bottle? Not trying to be sarcastic, just not sure that carrying pills in a prescription bottle would be a full proof way to avoid problems of carrying pills around. I've never heard of laws in my state about carrying pills in a prescription bottle. I also thought most drugs have identifying numbers on them.

When I was on chemo last summer (for breast cancer), I carried around several small pill cases with the various prescription and non-prescription pills it took to get me through that. If I had had to carry around the prescription containers for each one, I would have had to get a much bigger purse or a tote bag.

I'm not on any replacement hormones at this point, and haven't yet decided if I will do a completion thyroidectomy or not. This kind of situation is part what makes me concerned about being dependent on pills for the rest of my life. What if there is a disaster and your supply is destroyed and you can't get more for an extended period of time?

You don't think this is slightly paranoid? For Synthroid no less?

what about guys? do they carry a purse with prescription meds/containers in a purse, no. how do they carry them?

If it makes anyone feel any better I have traveled extensively with both my synthroid, and my sons medications in daily medicine dispensing boxes without the actual bottles for years. I have flow with them in my carry on this way as well. I have never once been detained and/or questioned. I have however learned to lock them in the room safe or my suitcase and never leave them out after taking them. I do not know the laws but do know that a simple phone call to the pharmacy is all it takes to verify the medications my son and I are on for anyone who would question it.

Again this would most likely be a problem with being stopped by police. Illegal drugs. In a prescription bottle. Hmmm cops would see that too. Most of the illegally made drugs have a mark on them as well. Many of the pharmacies have a description of what the pill looks like on the label now. Shape color I'd numbers. I'm sure synthroid would not get you thrown in the clink. I am talking about pain meds, or anxiety meds, antidepressants, or if you have a adhd or add meds. These ARE a problem. If you are in an accident an unable to communicate well. The EMT s can guess what's in your pill sorter they might find in your purse. But if you have meds in original bottles they know what you have. At least have the info written on a paper. Or keyed in your cell phone under ICE. In case of emergency. Along with emergency contacts. You can add health probe. No penicillin, no codine. Etc

You can ask at the pharmacy for a smaller bottle to carry a few pills in if your out and about. Especially if the months worth or 3 months worth bottle is huge. The meds most worried about by police are scheduled 2 drugs. Many people take them during treatment for pain management. Or if you have chronic pain. This was an FYI . If you choose to think I am being silly or paranoid so be it. I've been called crazy before. Google it. Can I carry meds in a pill box. Peace out.

Somehow housekeeping at the hotel ended up with my little pill box on their cleaning cart. All I can is that they must have accidentally swept it into the trash can. Either that or decided they liked my cute, little pill and the half a pill inside. :) When I had explained to the housekeeper earlier that I needed my pill after having cancer, her eyes got big and said she would look into it. A little while later there was a knock on my door and there she stood with my pill case. She said it was on the cart of the maid who cleaned my room. Apparently it was in the trash bag? And my half a Synthroid was soft and wet. Next time I will NOT leave my pill case on the sink counter when I travel. First time I did that.

I'm a guy, travel a lot, and have never had anybody even ask a question about pills or any medicine. I always carry them on to avoid delays when luggage gets lost. How would a TSA guy have any clue about the thousands of types of medicines out there? The doctors can't even tell what's what by just looking at unlabeled pills.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders