My husband is crazy!!!

I am going to have a tt on 2/15

He thinks I am going to go to punta Cana for is job on 3/4. Haha ha I'm laughing at him. I said, who do you think I am brooke Burke?

28 replies. Join the discussion

LOL That is funny, but it could also be his way of hoping after surgery "all will be normal" again. Men have a strange way of handling stress, especially when it comes to their life partner. Granted, I can only speak from experience that I had with my now ex-husband when I went through both uterine and breast cancer a year a part. Not being a man of course, I can only speak from observation :) Most men are just not equipped to handle being the "care giver" they are the provider in their "world"! His desire for you to join him on his job or the location could also be his coping mechanism because he does not know how to handle his own fears regarding your surgery and/or diagnosis. He may also be hoping that you will be "well" enough to get away with him even though he will be working. Never hurts to ask what his intentions and hopes are regarding post op for you. It may also be his way of saying he wants you close by :) I don't know y'alls history or how life normally is for y'all so I can only speculate :)

Hoping your surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery :) Take time to pamper yourself and take care of YOU! HUGS!

Hahaha you are funny. I really dont think it is a problem, I guess it all depends on how you feel and how long you are going for. I had my TT on a Monday and right the next Sunday I went to a picnik two hrs away for 12 hrs and came back ok... but then again my surgery was easy thank God and had a fast recovery and didnt need RAI so I didnt need to prepare for anything. You will be staying in a hotel in Punta Cana and for me that is better than staying at home...less work and less headaches.

Don't listen to me, I dont know what your situation is. You should ask your Dr. and see what he/she tells you.

I wish you a very succefull surgery and recovery and hope you get to go with your husband to Punta Cana. We should try our best to enjoy life as much as we can. Good Luck.

You know, Punta Cana might be just the thing. So long as you are lounging and relaxing and not lifting. I would have been able to do it two weeks after my TT. Of course that assumes little complications, etc. I did go to Russia to adopt my children just one month after having my second neck dissection. And that required carrying bags, chasing after two little kids, long days, driving in uncomfortable cars, etc.
So, you never know!
dj
P.S. husband are crazy sometimes!

Yeah, us husbands can be more than a little crazy at times! But, hey, I've been through two thyroid surgeries (one requiring a 5 day hospital stay) and I would've been totally up for a trip to Punta Cana after either one of them. In fact, if for some reason you're not up to it, hun, tell your hubby he can take "ME" - ;o) Oh, wait... on second thought, I'll just be coming off of RAI and will still be highly radioactive myself... dooouuuughhhhh!!!

Just be sure that "he" pampers "YOU" - and not the other way around - ha!

~ Salty ~

Flying that soon after surgery is very dangerous. You can wind up with lymphedema.

I went to Jamaica this past Oct, 5 weeks after TT. It was fine. The heat got to me though, as my med levels weren't stable yet and I was boiling from the inside out.

Punta Cana beaches are the perfect recovery tool :). If you feel up to it, go.

Laadysouth: you are definitely right about how men deal with these things. When I get sick, I expect my wife to drop everything, immediately switch into "caregiver mode" and take care of me - which she always does with flying colors (of course, she is a nurse, so that helps, too). But when she gets sick, I try to be extra nice to her and help out, but I do a half-assed job of it - certainly nowhere near as good care of her as she does of me. And secretly, I sometimes think I might actually be mad at her for getting sick in the first place! Yes, I know this isn't fair or right and that I'm probably going you-know-where as a result, but I just can't seem to be anywhere as good a husband as she is a wife and caregiver.

I had my TT 2/17/12, RAI 4/9/12, pacemaker4/5/12. We were SUPPOSED to go to Jamaica 4/16/12. My husband would not take me to Jamaica. He was afraid something would happen. It had nothing to do with the TT, or RAI. It had to do with getting a pacemaker. Previous to that, my pulse had been in the 20's. we did manage a long weekend to Playa Del Carmen,MX that weekend. Moe flights home, shorter flight home, just in case something happened, of course everything was fine.

I am having a modified radical neck dissection on the right 2/4. My husband just asked me if I wanted to spend Valentines Day in New York City, well Of Course! My mom is coming to help after the surgery. We live in Texas. My husband is an airline pilot, so last minute decisions are how we do our travels. If I feel good enough, I'll catch a plane and meet up w my spouse in New York for Valentines Day. I'll then fly home the next day.

It is entirely doable, but you just won't know for sure. I had surgery on 9/04/12 and was scheduled to go to Paris on 9/19/12. I was afraid that I might not feel well enough to travel so I cancelled the trip. In hindsight, I should have gone to Paris. I felt fine four days after surgery and two weeks later I felt like nothing happened. I say "go for it"!!!

I could have gone right after my TT:)

Lymphedema is highly unlikely with thyroid surgery. The chain of lymph nodes in the neck is much different than those in the arms and legs where lymphedema with flying is very common - thus things like compression sleeves for women who have faced breast cancer when flying.
dj

I have complex head and neck lymphedema after TT, 70 lymph nodes removed, and RAI. Kindly keep your assumptions about what is likely to yourself, since you are certainly not a medical professional--and if you are, study up. Had someone told me not to fly, things might be a lot different for me right now.

I do apologize, I was referring to most thyroidectomies, not extensive neck dissection with removal of 70 lymph nodes such as yourself. Since Mrsdld has not had her surgery yet, it's too soon for her to know if lymphedema will impact her. At the thyroid cancer survivor's conference in Chicago we had some interesting conversations about lymphedema. The doctors were insisting that is simply does not happen with the neck. Others of us, including me, were saying that it is a more individual circumstance and depends on how many lymph nodes are removed. I am of the opinion that making blanket statements such as "Flying that soon after surgery is very dangerous. You can wind up with lymphedema." My statement was more statistically related "highly unlikely" - as each of us is an individual and we also need to think about the odds. Again, I do apologize as I was not speaking to your situation with 70 lymph nodes removed, but rather Mrsdld's situation of a surgery that is yet to take place and likely and hopefully will go very well.
dj

If your surgery is routine, you should feel like going. I had a TT and several lymph nodes removed and would have been up for a trip like that. You can lie in the shade with a good book and have a good beverage!

However, I would check with your surgeon first and foremost before making a decision.

Everyone recovers differently - in my case, my TT was routine, and I would have felt like going if my dr had given me the go ahead.

Good Luck!

I felt great after my first surgery. Would have loved to go to travel. Anyway, as others have said you'll have to wait and see.
Good luck with your surgery!

So, it would seem I have the green light to travel and we are headed for warmth and sunshine on Monday. My scar looks phenomenal and I will just take my 3 o'clock nap by the pool, or on the beach under some shade.

My scar left by your surgeon is only abut a half inch long. Amazing.

I am so glad things went so well.

Soak up some rays for me! Have a great time!

i had my surg in baltimore drove from fl. Surgeon said you can't fly for a while after neck surg due to swelling.....i had my surg dec 12 went back to work dec 18.....had no pain after surg, no sorethroat, no problems....good luck....

SO GLAD you are taking the trip. ENJOY. Be sure to protect the scar from the sun - that's important. Other than that - enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
dj

Don't forget to sunblock that scar!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders