Lymphedema after neck dissection

Hello everyone, I have a question about swelling/burning after neck dissection. I have had a bilateral neck dissection and a resection on the left side. The second surgery was June 24, 2011. I have never had problems before, but two weeks ago I was in a small car accident and I have also started lifting weights. I am having some swelling and burning on my left side it doesn't feel like a mass or a lymph node and I am wondering if it is some kind of inflammed scar tissue of if it's lymphedema. Has anyone had this happen?? I go off my meds tomorrow and I go for my scans on Feb. 23rd, but I am kind of concerned about this. Any advice would be great!

1 reply. Join the discussion

Hi there. During my final sign off visit with my surgeon after my neck dissections, I told him right away my neck felt swollen/puffy; he examined me and told me I did have some lymphodema. He gave me a script to see a Physical Therapist. However, if you do go to a P.T., make sure if is someone who specializes in Lymphodema message.
I think I ended up going for 5-6 sessions & there was a huge difference in my neck. I was told by the therapist, that even after the 1st message, you will start to see a difference as it will get the fluid moving. Good luck.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders