LOW IODINE DIET: Bread, Fabulous Bread (Commercial)

After going to 3 local markets looking for bread that my doctor said is permissible on the LID (only if sodium content is less than 20 MG per serving and only 1-2 slices
per day), I finally found a bread that meets the criteria.
It is by Shiloh Farms and is called: Organic Sprouted Seven Grain Salt Free Bread. It is low fat and SODIUM FREE! (100 calories per slice). The website is www.shilohfarms.com. I purchased this bread at my local natural health food store.

13 replies. Join the discussion

Careful with commercially baked bread - the equipment used in production kitchens is often cleaned with iodine. It also contains rice. Some LID diets say rice should be limited.
dj

Thanks, Daria about the iodine used for cleaning.

I believe Ezekiel makes a sprouted grain bread that's no salt added--but I played it safe and made my own with whole grain flours.

AJacks, I almost bought the sprouted grain bread, but it contains soybeans which I read are not allowed on LID. You can have soy oil or soy lecithin. I plan to make my own bread from the ThyCa Low-Iodine Cookbook.

I went to my local baker that makes breads and talked with them. They bent over backwards to make sure there was no iodine in their bread and they do not clean with iodine.

Cflo, how lucky to have such a nice bakery that will comply with your diet. I bet it was delicious , too. I don't own a bread maker, so I'm either going to borrow one or bake bread from scratch by kneading it myself. The recipes in the ThyCa Cookkbook look great.

I am a terrible cook. So I asked my mom to make potatoe bread with iodine free salt. She doesn't have a bread maker and she did a wonderful job. It tastes great and totally saved me!

I have to do LID again in Feb for my 1 yr. WBS. I attempted to make my own bread the last time without a bread maker. It was edible but it could have been better - a bit dry. It's tempting to buy the commercial bread recommendations here, but I am concerned with the iodine cleaning process. It is a LOW (not no) iodine diet so maybe that's why your doc recommended a commercial brand. Thanks for the info!

Cflo - You lucky dog!

If you have a stand mixer, most also come with a dough hook for kneading so you don't have to do it all by hand, but I personally have never had that much luck with the hook.

dj- If you're bread is dry, maybe use a recipe with a little oil in it, and also make sure your oven temperature is not too hot or that you're possibly over-baking. Then let it cool nearly completely before slicing, so the steam (moisture) doesn't all escape out. Hope that helps!

I start my LID tomorrow, and I'm actually kind-of looking forward to baking bread again and trying out some other new recipes. I found one for an egg yolk substitute, and if it works well, I'll definitely post it (along with a great brownie recipe I have that uses cocoa powder and veg. oil!).

Thanks strawberry! I may give it another shot and I will try your suggestions.

Can you share your mom's recipe?

LouisvilleMom, I wish I could claim the credit for the receipe, but I took if from dj's blog. Here's the link!

http://dj-thyroidcancer.blogspot.com/

I contacted Shiloh Farms about my Seven Grains Organic 0mg Sodium bread and asked about the use of iodine in their cleaning process and they indicated that they did NOT use iodine. Their phone number is 800-362-6832. The website once again is www.shilohfarms.com. They also told me they haven't used eggs in the bread for several years since I inquired because of the LID.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders