I'm a soldier and an athlete ... can I keep this up??

I'm in the Army and if I don't keep my standard of fitness, I can lose my job. I had a TT June 2011, followed by the standard 131 and 125 RAI, and I'm still not in remmission. I'm not sure how to keep this up. I'm on 200mcg Synthroid and a very careful diet. I can't lose 15lbs I gained during the last year and I'm really burning out. I started taking caffeine, energy supplements and try to workout about 2 hours a day. Is this safe?

Edited May 27, 2012 at 1:38 am

8 replies. Join the discussion

Hi GnJmommy,
First of all I want to say thank you for serving our country and fighting for our freedoms. You are very much appreciated! As for your question, I think it depends on how hyperthyroid you are. Do you know what your TSH is? Being hyperthyroid can give you heart palpitations and an irregular heart beat, so adding caffeine on top of that might really send it into overdrive, which might be dangerous. As far as energy supplements, what is in them? And I don't know how you have the energy to exercise 2 hrs/day, but I don't think it would be dangerous alone, but combined with the caffeine and being hyperthyroid, it might. How have you been feeling? Any racing heart? 200mcg Synthroid is a pretty hefty dose. It sure wouldn't hurt to talk to your doctor about all this to get his input. Anyway, thanks once again for serving, and prayers that you will be able to figure this thing out and reverse the burnout. And BTW, many many of us have gained weight and are finding it very hard to get off, so you are not alone. Hang in there!
<hugs>
Kim

It may take time but yes I believe you can maintain or even increase your standard of fitness. The weekly PT might suck the life out of you, but I would not be surprised if you can get excused from time to time if you need it. If they haven't changed since I was in the only thing that really mattered was the PFT.

I exercise most every single day and have for 25 years+ but always built like a tank. I was 210 lb when I had my TT (2009) and like you my weight went up, in my case near 230 lb. I lost 30 lb, but it took me three years. I was 200 lb in March but had to do hypo this April so I went back to 210 lb is where I am now. Best I can say weight progress is slow, best I can do is 10 lbs a year despite careful eating and steady exercise. If you have manual hypo anytime it is a huge huge setback. I would have to believe that they can give you some medical exceptions should you need it. I do not know how that works but I suspect you could find some pretty sympathetic doctors to explain the cause of weight gain. There is nothing easy about all this and many doctors know, I do not know if that works for the USA but it should.

Good luck to you. I am both of those things as well (almost), Navy and an athlete. TT in April 2012. So far i feel pretty much as i always have, which i am grateful for after reading many of the other posts. I haven't had to go hypo yet. 131 RAI is coming soon. I'm also exercising like crazy to avoid the feared weight gain. Training for a 100mile cancer support bike ride.
I'm not sure how the army works but it may be possible to get something that allows for limited duty. Not many restrictions but things like the PFT may be taken into acct based on your recent diagnosis and ongoing treatment adjustments.

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having so many struggles right now. I am fairly confident that you will not loose your job. You fitness issues are the direct result of your medical illness..cancer...and therefore, I highly doubt the Army will fire you as a result. You should be able to get a medical waiver of some sort if necessary. I would highly recommend against caffeine consumption of any kind. Caffeine is sooooo horrible for your body. You need to be boosting your body's nutrients right now via healthy fruits and veggies, not overloading it with caffeine and artificial supplements. Google the alkaline vs. acidity diet. I have been doing this for the past few weeks and have felt an increase in energy. I have also been juicing when possible with fresh organic fruits and veggies. There is a drink that I really like called Green Goodness from Bolthouse Farms. It costs about $6 for 1 1/2 litres and it contains 13 servings of fruits and veggies. I have noticed a huge difference in my energy level as well as my sleeping habits and restroom habits :). It may cost more $$ and take more of an effort on your part to eat healthy foods, but in the long run, you are doing your body a huge favor. Caffeine messes with your heart and your brain...try to avoid it please...especially since you are in a high stress profession already.

Thank you all for your support. To clarify my concern with losing my job: I'm in the. National guard on active duty support support orders. It's really a temporary assignment that can lead to a permanent position (AGR). To qualify and keep the position , I have to meet physical standards, and right now, I do. I'm willing to continue counting calories an exercise as much as I have to. The problem is that my energy is just not there most of the time (and you all know how that feels). When I take supplements and caffeine, they give me the boost I need to keep going. Im just worried its not healthy. Indeed to figure out if there's a better way quitting is not an option right now.

Nvy: sounds like you're doing well so far. Going hypo will be really bad, so dontbe discouraged. I completely understand your athleticism . Some people consider this excessive, but to some of us it's a way of life. This thyca can be a real wake up call. Just remember when you go hypo and your body feels like youre wearing a 300lb drysuit, it'll pass.

ask for thyrogen, and if you can, wait to get it.

the supply is coming back up, so in many areas, the wait is minimal if any.

you can also contact thyrogen one at genzyme to ask for assistance locating thyrogen.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders