How to clean up after RAI home stay?

Has anyone used Bind It solutions to clean up home environment after RAI treatment at home? If not, how does one safely clean up all traces of radioactive iodine? Thanks.

13 replies. Join the discussion

Radioactive iodine can be dissolved in water. Soap and water will take care of it.
Do NOT use chlorox or other bleach products.

you don't need anything special.

soap and water is fine.

your house/stuff will be as radioactive as you are, it all decays at the same rate.

....if your stuff is radioactive at all....most likely it will not be.

it's really not a concern.

I had no idea about the bleach. I've been using Clorox wipes. Anything special I should know about that?

You would have to talk to Nuc. Med. about it. I keep reading mixed opinions on this here.

I think bleach for large radioactive spills is the problem, not bleach for I-131 treatment like we go through.

What I read is that the bleach can cause the I-131 to go airborne through chemical reaction, but I haven't read anything conclusive that it is in relation to I-131 ablation in humans.

Wikipedia mentions this issue in relation to I-131 therapy but their source does not back up their assertion.

anyhow, I-131 is not a germ, it's radioactive material, so a clorox cleanup wipe isn't going to do much for it.

Soap and water. :-)

Thank you all. I will check with the Nuclear Medicine department. The product called Bind-It claims that this is the solution to absorb residual radioactive materials. Bleach is supposedly not a good cleansing solution. I just want to be on the safe side.

yea...someone used bind-it some time back. she was offering to ship the left over to someone who might like it...but can't remember who she was now :))

Ya, apparently some people say bleach is a no no and some people say it is ok. Either way, I took all of the bleach tabs out of my toilet just in case!

A bleach will act through lysis to break open a cell wall, and there are no cell walls to break open since we are not cleaning a bacteria. So bleach is not needed. A soap acts to disperse greases or oils of any kind. I guess we give off a little of that with our sweat and so on, but maybe not even that much. Maybe just water might take up a sodium and an iodine, but can't hurt to use a mild soap for our personal "grease".

I brought a couple old sponges into my guest bath with a basic spray cleaner and went wild several times cleaning everything, then just threw out the sponges. I covered up an old mattress with a plastic mattress cover, then tossed that later on. I tried cleaning up any and all dust everythwere I was.

Great tips on how to prepare for the sleeping arrangement. I think I will get waterproof mattress and pillow covers as well. I am also going to try to cover up as much of the living areas that are not going to be used as possible to minimize exposure and cleaning later. Slippers are definitely needed to walk around.

you can if it makes you feel better, but its not necessary.

I kinda freaked out at first but then took a deep breath and thought it all through.

i wasn't worried about what I exposed to the bed, couch, tables, etc.... I made sure I did cleaned the bathroom well as the nuc med doc said that's where they are most concerned about it - sink, shower, toilet bowl. He also told me to just use my regular household cleaning products, whatever I use. (scrubbing bubbles for the bathroom and Windex for the mirrors) That's what I did. I also washed all my blankets, linens after isolation and I'll do it again this weekend (marking a little over a week).

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders