How much is the treatment for whole body scan with Thyrogen??

I'll have to meet a deductible before my insurance starts paying anything next year, I think it's 3000 bucks. So how much is the treatment to get this done? any ideas?

23 replies. Join the discussion

My insurance plan was charged about $2,000 per shot. The scan and radioiodine, i think, was in the neighbohood of $15k.

Damn Obama care....
My insurance plan changed to a 3000 deductible, I have to pay everything out of pocket starting Jan 1st until I meet the deductible.
So I guess these charges would do it....

I had Thyrogen last week and my insurance was billed $3000.00 for each injection. They haven't posted the WBS charge yet but I will let you know when they do.

Specialty drugs like Thyrogen might just have a copay. Talk to your doctor's billing/pre-cert desk and see of they can code it for that. These smaller but nevertheless catastrophic out of pocket expenses for high deductibles infuriate me.

Also, if you do end up with a whopper of a bill, talk to billing ahead of time and arrange a payment schedule. Most are willing to work with you, especially when you are pro-active.

For just the two thyrogen shots, I was billed $6600 a piece! Quite a mark up...I ended up paying $486 for both out of pocket. This was not costs for RAI, scans or the nuclear med bill, or the labs on day 5 ( Tg, Th antibody, and TSH). They have to bill the thyrogen as major medical, not a pharmacy charge. Please contact www.thyrogen.com and look at the thyrogen one program. They can help pre cert you and find a pharmacy to deliver it at a lower charge. If you go to a center that uses thyrogen a lot, they usually know how to bill correctly. Good luck!

Thing is everything submitted through insurance is adjusted first before a bill appears in your mail box, so you won't really know the costs for you. Most places bill like $25,000 for the whole deal, but that is before insurance changes it. Insurance never just pays bills they adjust rates and this is a negotiated thing between them. They also negotiate with you, so if you don't like the insurance ways of dealing with you, then you get a new insurance policy or complain to your employer if you got it through the employer. The future will bring more of that negotiation between you and the insurance, and potentially the provider as well, can pretty much guarantee that. It may not be obvious now though.

Thyrogen is billed like pharmacy. You pay a drug co-pay. Mine was $30. The hospital and doctors bill your insurance. And for the record, that's not the ACA, most insurance companies have been moving to high deductibles for years. Yours just picked now, but it was coming. Last year, I had $7k in medical out of pocket.

With our insurance plan, I can see what the initial charges are (always high), the reduced payments from the insurance company and then the leftovers that I get billed for after what I had to pay up front. I am thankful that we have insurance.

I guess I was lucky as I had already might my out-of-pocket before this, but I'm sure my insurance company doesn't like me. So far for treatment of Thyroid cancer since September 20th without the doctor's bill I have seen the two surgery were 15 thousand each just hospital than I just seen the last bill which I think is the two shots, full body scan and the radioactive iodine pill was 26,761.56. I guess the way I should look at this year is the hospital loves me, beside this I had both knees replaced, I might my out-of-pocket in Feb. this year. Hope next year is better.

My script plan , I paid a co pay, ended up being 844.00 out of pocket for the thyrogen. My Drs office sworeup and down it should have been through my major medical .

I live in Newfoundland, Canada and I did not pay anything. I am about to do my second round of RAI and if I wanted to stay home and get my shots from my family doctor than it would have cost me about 800.00 a shot but to go in where I am having my treatment and stay in a hotel for a couple of nights its free. I live 5 hours away from the hospital I am having my treatments.

Wow, it's amazingly expensive! I can't believe how hard it must be for you guys in the U.S, not only do you have to deal with the cancer itself, but in addition you may have to choose between life or bankrupcy... All that stress from financial unknowns.

Here in Canada I didn't pay a cent for treatment, got Thyrogen shots and WBS in a state-of-the-art SPECT/CT machine.

My taxes are somewhat extremely high however, I wonder why... :-)

I live in canada too and my husband didn't have to pay a cent either. It's terrible what you have to pay and still deal with the stress of evrything

We met the out of pocket costs this year before my RAI, so everything was covered. But, my Thyrogen would have been $125 out of pocket (max pharmacy charge). The Nuclear Med bill (after adjustments) was $850. Bloodwork ran about $500 for each draw, including blood pregnancy and Tg/TSH (state required me to have something like 3 blood pregnancy tests before Thyrogen, RAI and WBS...naturally, at my cost!)The RAI and one night at the hospital was $18k (again, after insurance adjustments). This was our first year with a high deductible insurance plan, but once we did the math, we ended up better off than we would have with our old plan! My TT was over $60k as billed to insurance (that's what I get for living near Boston, I suppose!), so we were very thankful for insurance this year!

You're all lucky thyrogen was even an option. My insurance wouldn't cover it so the whole thing would have been out of pocket for me. That's why I had no choice but to go hypo. I met my deductible for the year after surgery so I shouldn't have to pay anything for the WBS.

I'm in Canada, too. If I get RAI, I'll have to pay for Thyrogen because it's not covered by Ontario's health plan -- they expect you to go hypo the old-fashioned way. My endo estimated it's about $3000, but there's a chance our private health insurance might cover it (they cover most prescriptions). I feel so fortunate that I don't have to worry about being out of pocket for the essentials of my treatment. Sending lots of good energy to those in states who have financial pressures to deal with, on top of the general stress of thyroid cancer.

I might tell you more soon, I'm waiting for the hospital (I live in the US) to confirm my entire process today, starting Monday, 2 thyrogen shots, etc.. then whole body scan. I have to see what my health insurance will cover.

I have had 4 Thyrogen shots recently all approved by insurance. The first two , they did not collect a co pay and they were covered 100% . The second two they collected $25.00 co pay for each and I don't have that EOB yet. They told me that since they were administered in office they could bill them as major medical. The clinic bills the insurance company $ 3000.00 each. I am in isolation after RAI ablation two days ago but will add up everything when I get back home.

You know, my Drs swore up and down they should have been on my major medical, yet I ended up having to pay my script plan percentage. i had to ok and pay over the phone with a specialty pharmacy, Accredo..and have it shipped to my Dr. Who administered it..I think I got screwed

mine was billed thought my major medical the hospital order it and gave it to me

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders