How much I-131 have others had?

Was supposed to have a tracer dose yesterday, but the shipment of I-131 never made it in from Canada... My real dose of 125millicures still was given to me today without a scan.

How much have others had?

My nurse said that since it's a radioactive isotope, it starts to deteriorate immediately, so has to be shipped in and messengered same day from the supplier. crazy stuff.... Now I'm reading all these other lower doses...freaking out a bit Day 1 here...

41 replies. Join the discussion

I had one fifty. Had some side effects though.
Did have 4 of 12 lymph nodes positive.
Was 53 at the time.

I had 50 Mci on nov. 2013. No side effects

I too had bad nodes. 13
What were your side effects

I had 131, which was ordered as 125 like yours. (The dose delivered is accurate within 10% of what's ordered, due to the limits of precision in preparation.) I had pretty typical side effects, including some initial nausea, some moderate neck and jaw area swelling over a few weeks, and noticeable but not painful salivary/taste effects over a few months. I benefitted from having Biotene gentle toothpaste handy. Thyca is unique in the precision of the radiation treatment available because of the special role of iodine. All the best -- hope you have a safe, easy, and OK time of it.

I has 200 mCi Sept 2012. No lymph node envolement. But I'm 56 and the lesion had irregular margins and grew to the edge of my thyroid.

I had 160 in February of 2013!! Good luck hope all is well!!!

I had 162mCi. PTCFV and 2 nodes. 63 at diagnosis. Wishing you a successful treatment [

Thanks everyone. Woke up this morning a little less anxious.
My salivary glands hurt, ouch. But I'm so thankful for this online community as I go through this.

I had 100mCi. Traditional papillary with three positive nodes.

I had 100mCi (no tracer dose) with no side effects. Diagnosis papillary cancer, TT and neck dissection with removal of 23 lymph nodes.

I had 71mCi; they wanted to give me 150-200, but I consulted the ATA guidelines and insisted on a lower dose. I still ended up with sialadentitis and refused another round of RAI.

I had 29.9 mci, followed by 150 mci, followed by 150 mci. All because I had 1 cm papillary cancer and they couldn't get the remnant tissue ablated. But that was 18 years ago.

100 here

I recently had 75 mci with lymph node involvement

they gave me therapeutic dose of 200 just in case the remote mets would take up some of the iodine, which they didn't. However I did not have any ill-effects from the dosage. I felt fine and went back to work as soon as I was permitted to.

My side effects were lose of taste, about two weeks out, and major salivary gland problems six months out. These lasted nearly a year, and I really though they would never recover, but they did. I have a bit of trouble swallowing some foods, if I don't drink with my food, but I would say 75% normal.

Mine was 180 or 185, I can't recall anymore (even though it was only a month ago). Fairly high dose.

I had really bad pain in my head (like the worst migraine ever) day of and the next day. The day after, sharp, constant pain in jaw/ears (salivary glands). Got a nice break from all that, and then just some minor annoying things -- bloody nose and very limited taste, which still continues for me, a month later. Everything tastes like a stick of butter . . can't taste flavor (even sugar), except very mildly. Bad GI cramping, too. And then there was the disappointment of not glowing in the dark . . . .

I had 1.5 miC I123 as tracer dose for diagnostic WBS prior to ablation. Scan showed positive mediastinal nodes so I received 125miC I131 for ablation. Follow up WBS one week later confirmed uptake. Follow-up WBS 8 months later showed successful ablation of nodes.

Side effects: dry nose and mouth, loss of taste starting one week after ablation and lasting 4-6 weeks, loss of appetite and energy for severl months.

I was told anything over 175miC is considered a high dose and 30-50miC is considered a low dose. 50-175 is the middle range.

I had 164. Only side effect was fatigue which lasted about a month.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders