How long can you last. Without thyroxine?

I was asked recently, how long could you live without the thyroxine pills. I don't have a thyroid anymore. Does anyone know. Just curious.

71 replies. Join the discussion

I read an article saying one yr before organs start shutting down. It's a scary thought for sure.

Let's not find out. But it is a good question. I'm sure there have been studies and I'm assuming it would vary for each person. I like the question of how long can we live by taking thyroxine.

Mentally about 3 months would be my guess. Sure your organs may not blow up or whatever but I felt ridiculous after only a few weeks without pills.

My morbid "scientist" brain wondered too...I'm guessing heart failure would be the biggest issue....if your mental issues from being hypo don't push you over the edge first.

Thank god there is a drug to keep us alive!!!! Even with its side effects!!!

Hey to lulu, cinewco and Dave - good to "see" all of you.

I don't know the answer. I'd imagine even if you could live several years, you'd be pretty miserable. But in an Apocalypse (assuming you survived and found your way onto a farm with pigs, cows and chickens) you could eat the thyroid tissue of farm animals to get the T4 you needed to live. After all, isn't that what Armour Thyroid is made from - the dissected thyroids of animals?

@ lulu (the OP), you didn't say why you're asking. Can I ask if it's because you are uneasy about being dependent on a supply chain that, that although it is dependable now, might potentially break down? Thyrogen is a good example. Suddenly it was in short supply and some people just had to go hypo despite their doctor wanting to use Thyrogen.

I don't want to assume why you are asking - that would be rude of me. I respect you and your opinions too much to just make an assumption like that.

My husband and I were wondering the same thing, what is the alternative, if the meds were not available or cost prohibitive.

lol yes, let's not find out! haha

You could go to the butcher shop and buy all the chicken necks, be sure they give you the thyroid if they have one (I assume)....

To go hypo manually in March and April I went 42 days with no Levo, but first weeks on cytomel. I was very hyper when I started. I told my wife it is like voluntarily going into a coma... I'd hate to go any longer than that.

I looked it up once. It's 6 mos. I always carry Synthroid and Cytomel with me. In spite of how greedy they can be, G-d bless the pharmaceutical industry....

A few months ago someone mentioned that she knew someone who voluntarily went without for a year and didn't die ... I totally can't imagine it though. It would be pure misery. There are some other threads on the same subject - you might want to search it if you're curious. Personally, it scares me a bit - when I first went on meds I bought a small bucket of thyroxine meant for horses (a bit goes a long way :)) just in case (I'm a vet - retired now I guess. Brain and energy just doesn't lend itself to working right now) - but thyroid hormone degrades fairly quickly, so if you stock pile, it needs to be renewed regularly. Some mentioned that they save all the meds from dose changes, but I imagine we'll all get used to just depending on things going on the way they are. Hopefully there won't be an apocalypse - type event!

Well this topic is enough to cause a serious anxiety attack!

Even if we get our hands on a year supply would it be good that long? I have never been hypo. Have not had to go through RAI. I hope I never need to.

Wow...pleasant dreams all y'all!

Patricia

Hi all, thank you for replying. My kids asked me how long I could live without my meds and the girls at work asked the same question. I want to live as long as possible (I have 4 great sons and an amazing husband to care for). I was just curious.

That's a real good question from your kids, good to have kids & people that care about us and are concerned. Of course just in case we are standed together on a tropical island too I mean. I suppose you could always eat a monitor lizard thyroid in that case, if you could catch it, and you might get mean enough to catch one after being off meds a few months. :-)

LOL BiomedEE.....good point.......

I believe it's 6mo-1yr, but everyone is different. I'm always telling people that without my meds I would die a slow horrible death. Everything would gradually start slowing down, then shutting down, and you'd end up in what's called a myxedema coma. And yes, let's just hope we never find out!!!!

Six weeks was more than enough for me. I could hardly function.

I wondered this from the start of this adventure. I obsessed about it as well. I think it's an entirely reasonable thing to wonder and attempt to plan for, and am reassured by this thread's presence. Those around me thought it was essentially evidence of insanity that I was concerned about this, and so did the therapist I went to see. Yay for this online community.

Yeah, Laura, thank God for this amazing community of ours. Theresa, why did you have to go without for 6 weeks? Was it for RAI? I'm too scare to miss one dose so I can't imagine 6 weeks. Hugs to all and good night from Australia.

That's hysterical!

I think about it all the time. Those dependent on the system can't help but think about it. Also, frustrating is going month-by-month when filling these 'scripts. Seems like I'm always at costco gettin' levo and makin those fat cats a little richer, that and two other life-long meds due to hypo for ulcer and migraine.

It makes me feel weak and dependent, and all the crazy head stuff that arises from that... but the alternative, oh, we shudder to think.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders