How high is everyones Synthroid dose?

I keep seeing everyones dose as around 112 or so. Mine is at 250 right now and my levels are still showing low, so they may go up again. I know that I am exhausted all the time, and all around frustrated with my body. I just want to feel even slightly normal again. I mean I actually fall asleep during anything! I just feel like I am losing my mind. Anyone else?

23 replies. Join the discussion

Hi, so sorry you are feeling crap right now, i'm on thyroxine 225mcg so can't comment on your dosage,.
The only thing i could say is that the dosage may be too high, this too can make you feel lethargic as you body is working overtime having to high a dose puts you Hyper, which can result in the same feeling as a Hypo.

i am on a compounded hormone of t3 and t4 150cmgs and 25mgs - not sure how that equates

after my TT surgery, I am waiting for new blood work to see if my dose has to go up - i am so "HYPO" right now that I can probably guess the numbers are very high - keep checking TSH, free T3 and T4

Hi I am 44. I began this journey 11 years ago. I remember the endocrinologist being conservative with the synthroid initially. I feel best at 200mcg. Currently @ 175. I do have residual tissue in the thyroid bed and I am rai resistant. This has been recently discovered. I do know the lower your tsh, the more suppression of thyroid. I have always felt pretty positive about the thyca not killing me, probably due to the general public and many doctor's perception of most thyroid cases. It is amazing when you go through the thyca stories and see many are not typical. I must tell you I had 3 year old twins at the start of this and also have a 9 year old and a 5 year old, all healthy and active. I plan to be around for them for a long time. I think the fear of the unknown is always there. Treatment protocols and the amount of tyroid cases has really increased in 11 years. Good luck to you. If you are lucky enough to have a cancer center support program that offers yoga or massage................ these have been great for me.

Sorry you are feeling terrible. :( Sharing details does help. I hope you get the right dose or combination of things to help you feel normal again. As for me, I had my TT at the end of June 2010. I did not have RAI (papillary (follicular variant) microcarcinoma 5mm) and started off at 150mcg in mid July after being on Cytomel 50mcg immediately post-op. The Cytomel was wonderful for me and I felt super, but when I stopped that to start the Synthroid I gradually started to feel miserable. So I've been on Synthroid 175mcg since September. I feel great on it - plenty of energy, no more joint pain or nausea and no complaints at all. So far.

Stay on top of your FT3 & FT4 levels as well as the Tg and TgAb for your own reference. Keep copies of your lab results. Your doctor should work with you to get you to a point where you feel good regardless of TSH. Sometimes you have to push for it, though because some doctors tend to focus on numbers and ranges, rather than listen to what a patient has to say.

My endo just bumped me up to 250 from 200. Tests keep showing I am too low. I feel best right after the first few doses of the new meds, then it goes right back to being tired. You get tired of being tired.

So sorry you are feeling bad. Synthroid dosing is very personal and body size and such are not predictors. You just need what you need. I currently take 0.137 twice per week and 0.125 five times per week. I've taken as high as 0.175 and as low as 0.100. All units here are mg. In mcg it's 137, 125, 175 and 100 respectively. You might want to try adding some T3 to the mix (Cytomel) or asking about Thyrolar (a T4/T3 combo drug).
Hang in there.
dj

I'm on 100mg of synthroid, and I show high on the scale (normal up to 19 somethings, I'm 24 somethings...as you can see, I'm still a learner!). My surgeon will increase my dose after RAI. I think I feel alright, I'm finding it hard to judge as I've been feeling stressed and overstimulated by all of the waiting for information and appointments, so sleep has eluded me sometimes, but that is normal for me. I will be better able to judge after RAI and new dose, hopefully things will feel a bit more normal again...good luck finding your ideal medication levels.

Everyone is different. No one dose covers everyone. Firstly, you have to be tested. You should have a free T4 and free T3 done to assess just where you are for dosing. It is not just good to have a total T3/4. T4 is a storage hormone that builds up in the body. T4 is supposed to convert to T3, but some people's bodies for whatever reason does not do it. If you have a low T3, you are going to feel tired, as this is the energy hormone. Synthroid, Levothyroxine are T4 drugs only. Some people feel well on them, but not many feel as normal as before TT. Some people need both T4 and T3 meds to feel well. The T3 should be at the higher end, and the T4 should be somewhere around the middle. This is why you should have blood labs every six weeks, so that your doctor can monitor whether or not your body is getting the correct amount of hormones in your body for YOU. When we had our Thyroid, it produced T1,T2,T3, and T4 hormones. Doesn't it sound as if something is missing, with taking T4 only? In my opinion, which I am entitled to, Synthroid is the worst. It is the most prescribed, because the pharmaceutical companies help the endocrinology world with grants for research, and other perks. So, they in turn prescribe their products. Don't just accept. Be proactive in your treatment. The only way that you are going to feel well for the rest of your life, is to have some say in it. Stay well.

I'm @ 150 mcgs

I was at 150, and the new endo said my labs and whatnot were more indicative of being hyperthyroid - but I got her to switch me to NT. On the 150, I was always tired, my labs were always "normal", but I don't think they're optimal if they're just a smidge over the bottom range. No wonder I've felt like crap the last 6 years.

I've been on 150mcg since my TT five years ago.

I had my TT on Jan. 4th 2011 and my endo started me on Synthroid 175 and after a couple of months changed it to Synthroid 175 5 days a week and Synthroid 200 2 days a week. I am going to get more blood work in a few weeks and will see if he changes it again.

Doug

Thank you everyone for the responses! I am just frustrated with everything lately, I had some more blood work done last friday, so we sill see where we go next.

HI, I too was feeling very tired, fatigued and even my muscles felt really weak. I could hardly function. Had blood tested and my calcium was too low. Dr. increased my Citracal and has me taking a half a tab more of Synthroid only on Sat. and Sun. Hopefully after your blood test and your Dr. changes your meds. you'll feel better too!

I am at 175mcg and three weeks out of TT. Waiting on news for RAI (the phone should be ringing any minute ;))
I am feeling horrible, too. I felt good after TT, but now every muscle in my body aches, and I am so exhausted...but can't stay asleep. Just holding my arms up hurts.
The bloodwork should let you know what's going on in your case. Keep us posted!
I hope you feel better soon :)
...GOOD LUCK!

I am on 150 mcg Mon-Sat and 300 mcg on Sunday. My energy has been great since I switched from levothyroxine to synthroid. I don't have any idea what my blood work shows, but I will now be asking for that information at my appointments! It's good to take control of your own health care. Today I had a dose of RAI for diagnostic purposes (only 1.25mci) as I am 6 months out from my RAI treatment (150mci). Hoping that Friday's scan shows no thyroid tissue left!

I trust that you will feel better soon!

Blessings to you all!

are you taking it on an empty stomach and waiting at least 1 hour before eating? Absorption can be affected by a bunch of things. Also It's not so much you T4 going up as much as the TSH going down. The goal in most cases is to keep the TSH as low as possible without causing side effects of the thyroid level going too high.

That's a good approach I think 'cause it takes a while to convert the T4 to the more active T3 peripherally.Normally the T4 level is like 20 times higher than the T4 but it is more active. There is a reverse T3 that I understand in metabolically inactive. CYTOMEL comes is several ratios to T3:T4 so you can adjust it more precisely. Sounds like that is what you may be getting.

well said but I think the reason so many people may start on just T4 may in part be ignorance on the part of the Docs or at least a hope that you will be able to get away with a simple regiment. Synthroid even the brand name is pretty cheap and most Insurance co.'s will substitute the generic anyway.

But the T3/T4 combo meds like CYTOMEL may be the right thing if the labs don't get to where they need to be and the patient doesn't feel well

My synthroid dose is 150 mcg (I am a 22 yo female and weight about 125 lbs). I am 2 1/2 mo post TT and still feel very tired all the time. its starting to worry me, as I haven't even gone hypo for radiation yet! (I had a CT prior to surgery so they are waiting for iodine to get out of my system) My endo says my TSH supposedly is in the good range for me at this point, but the fatigue has continued. I'm a college student, but am currently living at home and commuting a few days a week. I'm not working and rest mostly during my time off (I sleep 9-10 hours per night, sometimes more) so I'm not really sure why I'm still tired. I thought being on synthroid was supposed to make you slightly hyperthyroid, doesn't that give you more energy? I'm not sure if its a matter of changing the dosage. anyone have a similar story?

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders