Helps with cravings?

So I've been on the LID for 3 days and I am craving cheese and M&M's like crazy!! Doesn't help that's all I see in the stores because of the holidays but it's been super hard not to cheat and I need some advise on how to turn my mind off yummy foods. My doctor has been kinda iffy on when I will actually do the radiation treatment since they are slammed(??) so this diet might have to last a long time. :/ I have found a cook book for a low iodine diet, but the recipeies don't satisfy all of my cravings unfortunately. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

13 replies. Join the discussion

I have been on LID for three weeks now. I just had RAI this morning and will have to continue on the diet for three more days! It has been very difficult for me. I actually lost weight on the LID because oftentimes it was easier to skip a meal than go through the considerable hassle of preparing a meal. Many of the "safe" items on the diet are carbs which I have to limit. I also cannot have spicy foods, citrus or red sauces due to problems with acid reflux. I crave dairy products the most. I found that I ate a lot of peanut butter as well as carrot muffins from the LID cookbook. No great suggestions for overcoming your cravings, though. Just have to be strong, committed and determined to stay on the diet. It is, after all, a matter of life and death! Good luck!

I found this blog very helpful. http://thelowiodinediet.blogspot.com/ There is some delicious banana bread in this cookbook: thyca.org/Cookbook.pdf and you should find some delicious brownies and cookies, too. Wishing you all the best and I would try to pin down a date with my doctor. This diet isn't easy and staying on it without a treatment date would be very tough for me. I need a goal!

Don't try to turn your mind off those foods, it won't work :-)
But do redirect your mind ... I can't help you with the cheese or m&m's, but there's no need to deprive yourself!
If you have a Bed, Bath & Beyond, pick up some Peppermint Junior Mints (they're surely available elsewhere, though I haven't seen 'em; remember the regular ones are NOT LID compatible).
There are quite a few LID compatible chocolates on the market ( if you want names, just ask!) .... Christmas Peeps are fine ... candy canes, too (double check for red #3) ...
I make chocolate chia pudding (so easy, so fast, so healthy) - a perfect LID treat.
If you like avocados, indulge in them, too. The creamy texture is very satisfying; it's been a long time since I've had to be on the diet, but I ate an avocado a day when I was.

Perhaps most importantly, pin down your doctor for a timeframe. If they're so "slammed", then set a time in the future, say, after the holidays. This is all hard enough, s/he should not be keeping you hanging like that!

In my blog that Carbo referred you to, there are safe chocolate chips. Try putting out a bowl of them to munch on instead of M&Ms. The cheese - now that's another story...hard to come up with a substitute for that. However, cheese is oily and salty...so maybe make some home popped popcorn and toss it in light olive oil and Kosher salt.
Hang in there and push for a definitive date. Even if it's in Mid January. Waiting usually is just fine and you only need to do the diet for two weeks prior to scans and/or treatment doses of RAI. Then at least you can get through the holidays and eat normally.
Be well,
dj

ok I am a huge foody I gained weight during LID the oatmeal crisp cookies were great the no bake coco cookies were great the carmel corn was the bomb my family wants me to make it all the time all in the LID cook book on this site Im telling you all I did was bake the whole time Because of the sweet tooth lots of luck I am not much of a baker but these recipes came out great

take raw nuts toss them in olive oil about a TEAspoon and a cup of brown and white sugar mixed bake in 350 oven for about 15 min. add any of the cookie pieces from cooik book and keep handy for your sweet tooth

Grapes and more grapes for my sweet tooth.

I was also an avocado fan. Spread on low-salt Ezekial bread instead of mayo or mashed with diced fresh tomatoes and used Matzoh bread to scoop. Sweet potatoes baked in microwave with a little brown sugar. Found these two things to be very filling.

LID made me realize how often I snacked out of habit and not because I was actually hungry! It is so easy to grab processed food but you think twice how much you want something if you have to go to the trouble of preparing it.

Oooo yay!! Thank you so much for all the suggestions!!!! Hi have been eating avocados like crazy and I'll have to try those cookies and nuts!! No news on a date yet will call tomorrow and hopefully will have a date :)

great recipe for a chocolate cake in my LID cook book it is amazing still make it even thought im not doing LID will share if you are interested

Oooo yes please!! I had to make chocolate red velvet cupcakes for my mom's birthday and it's torture that I can't even taste test it!!! I've been doing good, thankfully the cheese craving has subsided unless I smell it and the chocolate....eh that's still there...but not as bad as it once was :)

marshmallows and popcorn are good carvs put some no iodine salt . Anyone knows if we can eat jello or grenetine?

Yellow or green jello should be safe. I would skip grenadine since this label shows some iodine content (doesn't say how much, though). http://www.hannaford.com/product/Grocery/International/More/Girouxs-Grenadi ne-Syrup/pc/28272/c/46432/sc/46968/754509.uts#

Nuts and fresh fruit helped me past the cravings.

But, oh man, did I crave pizza. I bought three large pizzas on my way home from the body scan (which ended my LID).

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders