Finding a surgeon in Dallas

Hi, all. I'm new on here and wanted to get some info from people who have been through this.

I met with my endocrinologist today about the results of my fine needle biopsy. I have one nodule that came back suspicious for papillary thyroid cancer and a cyst that is benign. She recommends a total thyroidectomy, which I'm fine with. She gave me the names of two surgeons in my town, but I feel much more comfortable finding one in the Dallas area who probably does the surgery more frequently. Does anyone have a good recommendation of a surgeon in Dallas who is experienced with doing total thyroidectomies?

Thanks so much!

14 replies. Join the discussion

Welcome and I hope you find someone that you feel comfortable with. I think you are smart to look for a surgeon with experience. I'm not in TX so I can't help you out, but I would keep looking. Did you ask your endo for any names in Dallas?

OkieInTX- I highly recommend Shelby Holt or any of the team at UTSW hospital in Dallas. She does this procedure multiple times per week. I'm so thankful the local ThyCa group recommended her to me, I had complete trust in her for my 6+ hr TT and neck dissection.

I'd be happy to discuss in more detail if you're interested. Good luck!

Thanks, cabro!

Thanks to you, too, scottyb. I sent you a friend request so I could ask you more questions. I really appreciate your input since I don't really know where to start!

Dr Alexandra Dresel www.drdreselsurgery.com at Presbyterian. She is extremely thorough and even my endo was impressed at how well my scar is doing. She was rated one of the top thyroid surgeons in D magazine. Good luck and God bless you!

Thank you, ladylbw. I'll check her out.

Dr. Shelby Holt 214-645-2900. She is wonderful. She did mine and it was the best experience I could have asked for under the circumstances. Very caring staff also. You owe it to yourself to at least check her out. My scar is so minimal, all the other Drs. I see admire it! My healing was flawless. I attribute that to her care. Very little pain. I was scared and she had a calm about her that made me relax.

Dr. J. Nelson Littrell, M.D. He's a surgeon at Surgical Institute Baylor-Plano. My scar is almost undetectable and you won't find a more caring surgeon. I highly recommend him. His office is adjacent to Baylor-Plano Hospital and they offer free valet parking. The hospital is super clean and my mom was able to stay with me when i had surgery. Dr. Littrell's number is 972-758-4990.

Thanks, cleague and VegaNicole! I'm loving the recommendations! It definitely helps with the research.

Shelby Holt at UTSW. I went to her for a para-thyroidectomy. She was concerned with my Thyroid nodule that my Endo felt no need to biopsy. Thank God she recommended a biospy. Diagnosised with THY CA with lymph node involvement. She did my surgery and everything went great. I highly recommend her. Every staff member I encountered at the hospital told me how amazing Dr Holt was. I have to agree.

Feel free to email if you have any questions.

Good luck and prayers to you

Thanks so much, sfountain. Looks like I'm narrowing down my search. :) Just have to check into insurance stuff and see who's in network. I think that might be the most frustrating part. :/

I'm in the Thyca support group in Dallas area, meets 3rd Saturday 10-noon at Medical City Plano Prof Bldg. My surgery was done at Baylor - Dr. Jeffrey Lamont. Excellent surgery, small scar. However, I hear from support group that Dr. Holt has a specialized team at UTSW just for thyroid cancer patients & good referrals to endocrinologists, if that is a concern for you. I love, love, love my endo! Dr. Brian Welsh, who trained at UTSW. He's part of North TX Endocrinology Network, takes a referral to get in since he's so busy. From what I hear at support group meetings, finding the right endo is the biggest part of dealing with all this! Look for Facebook page for Thyca-Dallas for more info on support group, if you are interested. Peggy Melton, facilitator, is awesome with great info.

Thank you so much, WifeInTexas. I really, really appreciate the info and doc names. It's so overwhelming at first, trying to make the right decisions so quickly. Trying to sort out the flood of information and make sense of it all. Getting names helps so much.

Hello,

I used Dr. Brad Gamble at Southwest ENT, http://www.swent.com/ I had a tricky two surgeries and there were minimal complications. My vocal cord nerve was preserved and my scar is minimal. He said that I was his "most complicated" surgery to date. Good luck with the search! I hope this helps.

Lisa

Thank you, Lisa!

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders