External Beam Radiation

I am 3 years into treatment for poorly differentiated papillary thyroid cancer. I finally was referred to UCSF and just completed 7 weeks radiation (5 days a week for 7 weeks.) I am now prepping for a "mop up" with RAI the end of the month. Has anyone else done this protocol?
I feel fabulous being off synthroid and cytomel, btw. I had a TT 2+ Years ago so not sure what's going on there but I'm going with it!

7 replies. Join the discussion

I did not realize they did treatment like yours, thought rai treatments was protocol for that type of cancer, that all I did but glad you feel well because on Synthroid I sure don't!!

I found this protocol online so it is done, especially for poorly differentiated CA that hasn't metastesized (my understanding). I am a poor surgical candidate because of how this CA is mixed in with tissues. I am being treated at UCSF.
I did do a round of RAI back after the first surgery but apparently it wasn't enough.
It is a strange day when a person with no thyroid gland feels better with no meds vs taking them. We'll see how long it lasts! I get treated Oct. 30. Wish me luck!

i am non avid for rai and did just complete 33 treatments of ebr. finished on the 11th it was not as bad as i though it was going to be, i made it. u will do great keep us posted

My 14 yr old has not had the treatment, but she is getting lined up to do the same - EBR + RAI. This is recommended as they could remove all the cancer - particularly on her remaining L laryngeal nerve. I am interested to see what others have to say about the EBR process as this was a surprise to us.

My 14 yr old has not had the treatment, but she is getting lined up to do the same - EBR + RAI. This is recommended as they could remove all the cancer - particularly on her remaining L laryngeal nerve. I am interested to see what others have to say about the EBR process as this was a surprise to us.

Hi I am poorly differentiated follicular thyriod cancer. I did my TT in Nov. 2013 and RAI 150mcg in Jan. 2013.

I didn't half year check in July 2013 and the result was good. My next time check in Jan. 2014 and I hope everything will be fine.

David68--i guess the EBR is not very common. I did fine with it, in fact really well. Not much fatigue, good appetite, no sore throat or mouth sores. I did lose most of my sense of taste toward the last two weeks and now, 5- weeks out, it is coming back.
The treatment itself is painless but the patient wears a custom fit "mask" that clamps down to the table so the person cannot move. I learned that it is important to have everything the way it was when the mask was made in order to have it be "comfortable." One day I bunched my hair up behind my head and it was a really tight, uncomfortable 10 minutes!
My doctor made me a mouth guard to protect my teeth because I have a couple gold crowns. Metal makes the rays go everywhich way.
When my skin started drying out, burning, and getting uncomfortable the nurses gave me some Aquaphor which was pure heaven in a tube. Don't be shy about discussing any discomfort with the staff. They know what to do.
The neck needs to be covered from the sun all the time during treatment and protected afterwards as well. I took vitamin C during the process (Dr. Levy, you can search him online and uTube)--personal preference is all.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders