Enlarged Lymph node on chest below collar bone.

I just had a left lobectomy a month ago & found the 4cm tumor was follicular variant papillary TC. I'm scheduled for a TT in 2 months once I'm healed. I just noticed a lump on my chest... right side just below my collar bone. I'm pretty sure it's a lymph node. It's exactly where one is. It feels just like the tumor on my thyroid did. Has anyone had this? I'm concerned it's metastasized. I would appreciate any insight anyone can give me!

Reply Report post

15 replies. Join the discussion

I had TT on 4/14/2010 and tumor was papillary with follicular cells. Endo did a follow up ultrasound July 2010 and found two enlarged lymph nodes on the right side under collar bone. Endo ordered PET/CT scan, MRI, FNA, and I131 scan. All results came back clean. I saw a surgeon in Feb 2011 and he recommended a wait and see approach. because nodes were less than 1cm and results did not confirm there was cancer. Endo want me to get a second opinion from Dr. at John Hopkins. First appoint I could get is in July. Good luck! I wish you the best.

Reply Report post

Same to you! The waiting in between appt's & tests I think is the worst part of all this. I get all my treatment at Moffitt Cancer Center & they are going to do a CT scan on May 31st. Please keep me posted on what you find out in July! I'll pray all is still clear.

Reply Report post

I was diagnosed last fall with PTC and had a TT in October. I had several cancerous lymph nodes with one of the largest nodes at or below the collarbone. The size of my tumor was 4cm+ and the lymph node at the collarbone was pretty big as well. Thankfully my TG test in December came back undectable and after my RAI in January the scan came back with uptake only in the thryoid bed and no distant spread. Good luck to you.

Reply Report post

Wish you the best of luck Get it checked do not panic.
I had one they said was a cyst. after Both sides of thyroid was removed two different cancers. Of course they keep checking the cysts to see if they grow or change.....

Reply Report post

Twinsfan... Thank you so much for sharing! Sounds very similar to me. The lump on my chest looks & feels exactly like the one on my neck that was removed. So I have a feeling it's @ 4cm also. My nurse at Moffitt just called to tell me they are going to do an Ultrasound instead of a CT scan. Praying I get good results like you did!

Reply Report post

I agree the waiting is the worst part. I will pray all goes well for you, too.

Reply Report post

I have 3 enlarged nodes in my chest, and may be be getting EBR to treat it or may get a new med... I'm still in the wait and see mode... Hang in there and good luck!

Reply Report post

I had a thyroid cancer in my chest behind my sternum. I never knew it was there. In Feb when they did my neck CT for the neck lump they saw something at the bottom of that scan and sent me for a chest CT and they discovered the large mass in my chest. I had no idea it was there, none of it was where I could feel a lump or anything.

Good luck to you, hope your ultrasound results are good.

Reply Report post

Hi JM, that is how I found my hurthle cell cancer. I kept telling my Dr. I had pain on my right collar bone. He finally gave me a chest ct and it showed up as a mass. You know the rest, biopsy, ultrasound, surgery etc. But I do want to tell you that for my second surgery they saw another mass. It was just my thymus gland that moved into the empty thyroid bed. Does your collar bone hurt? mine hurt so bad. I will pray for you and that you have peace. Keep us posted on how you are doing. jjean xxoo

Reply Report post

Update... I had ultrasounds of my neck & the lump on my chest at Moffitt yesterday and results were... An abnormal lymph node on the right side of my neck & the lump in my chest is abnormal also, appears to be a tumor so I'm going back in a week for biopsies on both. I'll keep you updated on what I find out.

Reply Report post

Will be thinking of you. XX

Reply Report post

Thank you :)

Reply Report post

I hope the biopsies show up benign. Prayers are with you.

Reply Report post

Have you had a TT? I'm scheduled to go to Dana Farber Wednesday for a nodule (lymph node) under my collar bone and one right above. I am now RAI resistant so am unsure if this was left after initial surgery or recurrence. Can't wait to get answers though I'm scared too.

Reply Report post

I had a partial thyroidectomy (the left side) about 6 weeks ago. I had a tumor on that side & pathology after surgery showed the tumor was FVPTC. So Im scheduled to have the TT in 2 months once I'm healed enough for another surgery. in the meantime I noticed the lump on my chest under my collarbone & I believe the ultrasound showed it is another tumor instead of a lymph node. The ultrasound also detected a lymph node on the right side of my neck that looked suspicious so they are doing biopsies on both this Friday & I will have the results the following Tuesday. I'm praying for you! I see you are RAI resistant, this is all new to me.... So what do they do then? I'm curious because I'm supposed to have my 1st RAI treatment after my next surgery & was wondering what happens if I am RAI resistant & what prognosis do they give you if that happens?

Reply Report post