Ear wax??

Is there a link between the thyroid and ear wax production? My ears have been hurting so bad almost daily for the last couple of months, I've noticed that I'm not making ear wax and wonder if that is the problem. Wierd, I know.

6 replies. Join the discussion

Deli,
Have you had a Thyroidectomy?

Yep, 1/2010.

I too had a thyroidectomy and and produce no ear wax. I have noticed that ever since my TT my ears do hurt and I feel a lot of pressure in my ears. Also I have had 4 major ear infections since October. Could be a coincidence, but I'm really not sure.

Oh I do not want to hear this! I already had terrible ear problems before my cancer and had regular ear infections about twice a year. I sure hope this is not going to cause me additional ear problems. I went 2 weeks ago, which was about 5 weeks post-op for me and had a double ear infection and strep throat. I figured that it was my regular ear problems now I wonder if my thyroid or absence there of made it worse. Generally I never have a double ear infection.

I had a TT within the last year and now have earwax problems and itchy ears (inside my ears--weird!)

I do think there is a connection; I suspect that this, like so many things, is related to the exact dose of the thyroid meds/ we are on; mine are probably a bit low. Hypothyroidism might give one ear wax problems, whether it is too low a dose of thyroid hormone replacement or too little natural thyroid hormone.

I am thinking that there is some connection.

Even though I was having yearly ear infections before my TT and RAI. I just finished my 3rd ear infection since April. That is out of hand! After the second one I even went back after the med course to make sure this was not just a really hard to get rid of infection and both ears were clear. Well 2 1/2 weeks after that both ears hurt and are draining and sure enough my 3rd ear infection! I finished meds on Saturday and will go on Wednesday to make sure it is gone.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders