Ear ache

Hello, i had my thyroid, parathyroid and lymph nodes removed 3 weeks ago. I have started getting an ear ache. I have never had an ear ache before. Has anyone else had this problem after surgery?

17 replies. Join the discussion

I didn't experience this - how are you now?

My ear ache just comes and goes. Not really sure whats going on

I've had lots of ear issues since my TT. But if you are also running a fever you need to see the doctor. Otherwise, it might just be general swelling from having had the surgery.
Hang in there.
dj

Hi i have had a neck dissection in Jun 2010 and still keep getting ear ache on and off, the surgeon told me it is the nerve end coming back together, it can take 12 month or more for them to be fully re attached. My neck, face and ear are all still numb on the outside. XX Karen

Thanks,my face and neck are also numb still, but it has only been 4 weeks. I have never had an ear ache ever, so it kinda worried me. Thanks again

I am new to Tyca...I have surgery scheduled for this Thursday for medullary thyroid cancer. No one has told me that I would have a numb face and neck from the surgery...is this a normal side effect?

Goodluck on your surgery. I had my surgery Feb 25, my neck,ear and lower face is still numb. I had thyroid, parathyroid and lymph nodes taken out. I don't remember hearing about any numbness if it is just your thyroid. I hope everything works out well for you, i will be praying for you. If i can help in any way, please let me know! Keep your smile on and your face towards the sky and all will be well!

with medullary the thyroid and surrounding lymph nodes must be removed. any more that would be removed would only be if it had metasised...i hope not. i've heard that losing a parathyroid, or even having it "nicked" could be a challenge. do you have to take a lot of calcium tablets? why would your face be numb? i've heard that my voice "could be" hoase for a while--was yours?

daria, i am scheduled for surgery in two days. i've not heard of any problems with ear aches..why is this?

If you are having a neck dissection with the thyroid removal then there will be some dumb areas, it is where they cut through the nerves during the operation.

The area of the surgery will cause some swelling in the neck area under and sometimes behind the ears. It's typical to have some ear pain after surgery that goes away as swelling goes down. I will say a prayer that surgery goes well.
dj

There have been times when I experience a slight ache in my ear drum. Surgery was Sept. 2010. It will take a while for everything to get back to somewhat normal. I have been told by my dr., and other thyroid pts., that it takes at least a year or more before you stop having some kind of symptoms. So much was done to the throat during surgery. My incision healed fast, and nice, but still can present with pain sometimes. I also had a chest tube placed during my surgery, to drain the blood and fluids from thyroid site, which sometimes still irritates me. Hopefully, all of these things will heal in time.

I'm wondering if your ear ache could be due to the intubation. If they are rough with your jaw when they are doing it it can cause your jaw to push into your ear and cause pain. I have TMJ and that happens to me sometimes if I am too rough. My jaw sometimes wont hurt at all it will just be my ear. Just an idea.

I had sporadic ear pain 6-9 months in my left ear before I was diagnosed. A few times after surgery, like before, but eventually went away. Nothing ibuprofin couldn't help.

I have to take Rocaltrol every day plus i have to take 9 tums to help leel out my calcium. I have only went to endo 1 time since surgery and she called and said my calcium is still elevated. She said it could still be from my surgery so she is doing a cat scan in July. my ear never hurt until after my surgery. it doesn't hurt all the time, but very sharp pains sometime.

My surgery went very smoothly. No voice problems no numbness no ear pain. And my neck is glued shut, no stitches! I didn't know they could do that since my incision is about 5 in. It's only been a week since my surgery and it's all healed up and my Glue scab is slowly coming off. They had me get the oscal 500 +d for calcium and I have to take 4 of them a day.

I had 2 surgeries to remove my thyroid (found the cancer on the first one). My second surgery was Mar 15. I have had quite alot of ear pain since then. I went to my primary care physican who passed it off as allergies. In other words, he didn't know what it was. I have also had dizziness since my first surgery. It seems like there are so many possiblities for symptoms and side effects that just about anything can be considered normal.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders