DIAGNOSE HASHIMOTOS NOW

Unless more people become AWARE of the proper blood work to do
to determine Hashimoto's an autoimmune disease, WHICH catapults into various other autoimmune diseases you will have UNDIAGNOSED Hashimotos.

When you have throid testing INSIST ON BLOOD ANTIBODY testing as well as TSH have TPO-AB and TGO-AB tests.
If these come back positive for anti bodies you have Hashimotos.
ANTI IS AGAINST NORMAL BODY FUNCTIONING.
The thryroid is the fuel control of your body as the gas pedal is the fuel control of your car.
It IS ESSENTIAL THAT IT WORKS PROPERLY.
IF THE THYROID MALFUNCTIONS YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A SERIES OF OTHER MALADIES LIKE CANCER,DIABETES, LUPUS, ETC.
DON'T SETTLE FOR THYROID TESTS WITHOUT ANTI BODY TESTING.

14 replies. Join the discussion

I agree with this, mine went undiagnosed for many years over ten years and it turned to cancer and that was almost missed too !

How can we get the word out to everyone and take control of our health.???
It seems MDS are not schooled in thyroid importance and dysfunction.
We need proactivity NOW.

Thank you for sharing this. Have you heard that food allergies, intolerance or sensitivities (wheat, milk, corn....) are a cause or a result of thyroid dysfunction and/or autoimmune diseases?

It annoys me that doctors do not automatically test for this. I believe medical schools are slow to emphasize things that are more female related.

Auto immune means that our body is at war with itself.
The harmony is disturbed.
It is like a row of dominoes standing up in line push one
all of them are out of place.
When our body isn't finely tuned it is subject to every malady.
So of course auto immune lowers your resistance.
Our air is contaminated, our water is polluted and our soils are full of
contaminants so protecting ourselves is a mighty difficult task.
When our thyroid our main control is off kilter we must know about
it to remedy the situation ASAP!

WE HAVE TO TAKE A STANCE TO EDUCATE THE PUBLIC
AND DEMAND THE MEDICAL MECHANICS WAKE UP TO OUR
BODY'S NEEDS.

I agree and definitely I will request those tests in my next visit and if my insurance does not pay it I will pay it. I am telling family members and friends and they are requesting them too. We also must be aware the battle to defeat cancer is more comprehensive than just surgery and radiation. Keeping our immune system strong is a challenge when we have autoimmune disorders. If we are not tested we don't know we have it, meanwhile we can start paying attention to our environmental allergies, food allergies, intolerance and sensitivities, which are indication of autoimmune disorder. Sometimes they are not very obvious or they are obvious but not too bothersome and we ignore the signs because we don't want to give up the food or buy substitutes like lactose free milk, gluten free bread, etc. or give up a anything that makes us sneeze. Over the years of allergen exposures and consuming food we are allergic to or intolerant, our immune system deteriorates and become vulnerable to other major illnesses like cancer and if we have autoimmune disorder it will surface and makes our treatment more complex. Plus junk food which is loaded with sugar, salt, preservatives, are the fuel for cancer, If we continue with the exposure of environmental and food allergens and junk food after we have being diagnosed with cancer and/or autoimmune disorder, all the radiation and surgery will not work. Also the worries, fears of recurrence, anxiety, weakens our immune system. Deep breathing exercises is an easy way to strength our immune system and concentrating on the deep breathing gives our mind a break from negative thinking. A physical activity like exercises, sports, yoga classes, dancing classes, hobbies, playing an instrument, doing crochet, or a spiritual activity, meditation, prayers, whatever fits our life style and/or our like, helps so much to put our mind at rest which in return gives a boost to our immune system. That's why I mean when I said the battle to defeat cancer is comprehensive at all levels, physical, biological, intellectual, emotional and most important spiritual.

I am very interested how Hashimoto could cause diabetes. Would you please explain?

Do you know if Hashimoto also affect your adrenal glands?

THE THYROID WORKS DIRECTLY WITH THE ADRENALS ,PITUITARY,THE HEART.THE THYMUS, THE LIVER
AND ALL OF OUR ORGANS. IT IS OUR KINGPIN.
WE NEED TO REBEL ABOUT OUR CONTAMINATED FOODS, AIR AND WATER.
THE THYROID IS THE GAS PEDAL OF OUR BODY AND MAKES TSH IN HARMONY WITH THE PITUITARY AND ADRENALS.
UNTIL WE HAVE A CIVIL WAR IN OUR COUNTRY FOR BETTER NUTRITION WE ARE DEAD SOLDIERS TO THE
FRACKERS WHO ARE ALLOWED TO POLLUTE THE WATER,THE FOOD PRODUCERS WHO USE FERTILIZERS AND GRAINS FOR
FAST GROW ANIMALS AND CROPS AND TO OUR INDUSTRIES TO STOP POLUTING OUR AIR : WE ARE LOST.
LET US CLEAN UP OUR OWN COUNTRY OF THE POISONS WE ARE FORCED TO INTAKE,THE TASTELESS FOODS WE EAT AND HAVE THE MEDICAL SYSTEM TO RECOGNIZE THAT THEIR IGNORANCE IS KILLING US.
PRIORITIES ARE MISPLACED. THEY ARE JUST A MASK FOR OUR DISTRESS AND DEMISE.

In my own experience all general thyroid tests were normal. It was only when a physician detected a thyroid nodule was the Hashimoto's test (TPO-Ab done) and the test was positive. Since a percentage of the Hashimoto's caused nodules become cancerous it becomes important to monitor them with ultrasound and antibody levels. There is no point in running Hashimoto's lab tests on someone without a thyroid nodule/enlargement.

From what I can tell on this message board, it seems like many of the thyroid cancers were diganosed when the nodules were quite large already. I wonder how frequently the general population goes in for a physical exam which includes a manual thyroid exam. If one goes in for their general "well check physical" shouldn't the thyroid always be examined?

I work as a Surgical Tech in in a big hospital, I have a good insurance and I am very good about visiting every year my General Practitioner, Gynecologist, Cardiologist, Dentist, etc. They all give me a phsycal including my neck and none of them felt the 2 1/2 cms nodule on the right lobe and 1 of 1 cm on the left lobe, until a friend of mine who does not drive, ask me to taker her to an Endrocrinologist. She insisted to make an appointment for me because I have some brown spots in my face and I have spent a lot of money with dermatologists including dermabrasion and no success. I was going to be there anyway, so I agreed with the appointment. The Endocrinlogist is the one that felt the nodule and did FNA biopsy which was positive for Thyroid Papillary Cancer, level 3. The Endocrinolgist said I probably had it for at least 10 years and it was getting out of the thyroid and extended to some vessels. You can't trust a routine physical will detect a nodule. Some nodules grow in and it is hard to feel them, even an Endocrinologist can miss them. The antibodies will show in the blood before the tumor is palpable. I do recommend a comprehensive thyroid test for everybody. So many years of untreated dysfunctional thyroid, whether Hashimoto is involved or not, can develop in cancer. The standard tests T4 and TSH can be within normal range and still be Hypo if T4 does not convert to T3.
Therefore I am in favor of having a Comprehensive Thyroid Panel, which includes TSH, T4, T3, Free T4, Free T3, TG, TG ab & TPO ab to rule out all the thyroid disorders, Hypo, Hyper and Hashimoto.

this is in response to Lolay. Yes, you would think a manual thyroid exam at the annual 'well check' would catch everything. My doctor performed a manual thyroid check in August 2010 'well check', by June 2011 I had a TT due to papillary thyroid cancer stage 3. The pathology report indicated I had Hasimoto's, too. Maybe my nodules were not large enough in August...maybe my doctor just missed it.
So in February 2011 I felt a 'lump' on my neck(AKA the cancer had spread to my lympnodes). A CT scan was unremarkable. I begged to be referred to an ENT. Then, I got a CT scan with contrast. The same doctor read the scan and noted that the nodule had been there the whole time.(he didn't see it) Finally a fine needle biopsy and a diagnosis. I will have my 3rd WBS at the end of the month. So far, so good.
Bottom line....I had tests done and no one caught it.
I'm glad your doctor detected the thyroid nodule.

It seems that a manual thyroid exam does not pick up everything, and that it depends on who does it. I wonder if a screening ultrasound is better and if those mobile utrasound vans do them.

This discussion is closed to replies. We close all discussions after 90 days.

If there's something you'd like to discuss, click below to start a new discussion.

Things you can do

Support ThyCa

Help ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association reach its goals and support people like yourself by making a donation today.

Donate to  ThyCa: Thyroid Cancer Survivors' Association

Discussion topics

Help and information from ThyCa

Community leaders